Back in a Golf R

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cbr600

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf R
So after watching my last MK7 Golf R being trailered away at the end of its lease and selling my beloved RS4 to a bloke from Reading, I decided I needed another Golf R in my life. I contemplated going down the lease route again but couldn’t find a deal that I found reasonable so the hunt was on for a second hand example.

As a 5 door was no longer a necessity, due to a recent change personal circumstances, the big question was which colour to choose!? I’ve always have had a soft spot for red car, having previously owned a red CRX Vtec, 2 MK4 Golfs and the MK7 R, but I decided it was time for a change! I ruled out black, grey, and silver immediately, I briefly contemplated Lapis Blue but quickly remembered how soft the paint on MK7’s are which left me with white! I’ve only ever owned one white car in my past, my very first car a brand new 1991 Vauxhall Nova 1.2 Merit! Oh those were the days, £20 to fill the tank, spend all Sunday cleaning it to pose around Bangor on a Sunday night, but I digress!

Having decided on the number of doors and colour and with spec not being of any great importance to me, I enjoy performance over the number of toys a car comes with, the hunt was on! I missed out on a corker of an example in a VW dealer in Swansea but not having secured the sale of the RS4 I had to regretfully watch the ad disappear from my saved ads on the Autotrader website. Finally the RS4 sold and with cash in bank my search was on in earnest!

I quickly found a late in the year 2015 R with 19k miles outside of Manchester and after a call to the dealer a deposit held the car until I could get over to see it! Unfortunately due to work commitments that would take more than a week. Flights and ferry bookings were made and the countdown began, until last Wednesday that is! During quiet spell I decided to check the Autotrader website for any ads and lone behold there was a new ad on for a white 3dr Golf R 8 miles away from me in Belfast! A phone call was made to ask if the car was still for sale followed by another 5 mins later asking if a deposit could be given to secure the car till the next day for me to see!

Thursday night came, a test drive was had and a bank transfer completed the deal! Initially I intended to collect it this incoming week but I’m an impatient sort so Friday morning I phoned the dealer and told him I’d be up in an hour to collect it!

So here it is.......my new Golf R!!!

38A647B6-77B8-4DD9-AA2F-8CA5613A38B5.jpeg
71C90FB9-2F00-48B8-A79F-25E9D115E111.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Excellent Tom! Glad you got sorted so easily.

I see you made a sacrifice on the panoramic roof?!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Very nice mate, question is.... did you get your other deposit back lol?

cbr600

RMS Regular
OP
cbr600
Drives
Golf R
Nice lovely colour what's the spec on it.. what's your plans for it.. health to drive :cool:
It's basic lease spec as it was originally a VW lease car! As for plans, there are a couple of warranty issues to be addressed which will be done this week, the front alloys need repaired due to curb rash, replace the w@nky rear tyres fitted to it and fit the tuning box I had on the previous R!

Excellent Tom! Glad you got sorted so easily.

I see you made a sacrifice on the panoramic roof?!

Couldn't find one with a panoramic roof in white in my price range, so I'll make do putting the window down! :laughing:

Very nice mate, question is.... did you get your other deposit back lol?

Yeah, they're 'processing' it this week! ;)

cbr600

RMS Regular
OP
cbr600
Drives
Golf R
What are the warranty issue out of interest?

Poor heat out of the heater, no fan speed when turned up, the illuminated sill strip is lifting and when you turn on the heated rear window you loose DAB signal!

There were a couple of faults stored when I ran a scan but i deleted them, will have a look to see if they have reoccurred!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
8mm and 10mm black ones with extended boots and McGard locks.

Few photos in my thread of them fitted, personally I don’t like anything too wide.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
You must of really liked it to go out and buy one.
Always looks great in white and not too many about in White really.

Enjoy

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
superb Tom - the Golf R's are a great going car - had a couple of runs in them now. I'd love to see how the tuned version can move

cbr600

RMS Regular
OP
cbr600
Drives
Golf R
superb Tom - the Golf R's are a great going car - had a couple of runs in them now. I'd love to see how the tuned version can move
Call in anytime Ross and I’ll let you take it for a run now the tuning box is fitted!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I'm going to look at a Golf R later and I've never even sat in a mk7 Golf never mind driven an R.

Can I ask did you go manual or dsg and so why?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.