2006 Hornet

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Nice work Gareth. Always good to see a neglected Honda being brought back to life.

That generation of Hornet has to be one of the best all round bikes ever made.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Cheers, fork repair is gonna be expensive, but it'll still be a cheap bike by the time it's done

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Mate of mine had one years ago and I road it loads of times. Proper hoot!

Maybe something for next year, sadly I'm not mechanically minded in the slightest so I'll have to get someone else to do the restoring!!

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
For a bike that's been in the condition this one was, you would need to be getting it ridiculously cheap. The fork repair bill alone will be over £400 and it needs a new rear shock too as the OE unit can't be rebuilt so I'm hunting eBay for a good aftermarket one. I'm getting the fork internals upgraded too as the front end is a bif 'soft' for my liking. Wheels are ready to lift, but the forks haven't been touched yet. Hopefully have then back before the week is out.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
For a bike that's been in the condition this one was, you would need to be getting it ridiculously cheap. The fork repair bill alone will be over £400 and it needs a new rear shock too as the OE unit can't be rebuilt so I'm hunting eBay for a good aftermarket one. I'm getting the fork internals upgraded too as the front end is a bif 'soft' for my liking. Wheels are ready to lift, but the forks haven't been touched yet. Hopefully have then back before the week is out.
Why so expensive for the forks? Or is that the price of a refurb and new springs?

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Why so expensive for the forks? Or is that the price of a refurb and new springs?

£120 each for both sliders, £100 for the K-tech springs, £95 for the service plus any other internals that needs replaced. That's £435 if there's nothing else needed.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Boring cleaning bits tonight. Chain guide and sprocket carrier and sprocket given a tidy up. I really need to buy a parts cleaner for this sorta thing.

Need to put an order in with Mr Honda for replacement seals for the wheels and sprocket carrier as well as new bearings for everything.

20180626_221102.jpg

20180626_221010.jpg

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
£120 each for both sliders, £100 for the K-tech springs, £95 for the service plus any other internals that needs replaced. That's £435 if there's nothing else needed.
Ahh stanchions need replaced. No way to flatten them in the meantime?

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
No point in putting it off. I tried to flatten it, but it was pointless. I should have taken a photo of them before I took them to PLR.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Not putting the K-tech springs in any longer, price with £440 without, or £540 with and I'd be better spending that £100 elsewhere. I've new bearings and seals ordered for the wheels and sprocket carrier and a few other little silly things. Will be next week before I can progress any more as the tubes for the forks haven't arrived yet.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
So i dont have to pull mine out whats the front bearing size? I have the 20X45X12 but wanna know if they are like 6203 or such

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Buying generic bearing will be a lot cheaper than going to Honda.

We sell genuine Fag 6203s for about £5.

Last edited:

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Finally picking up the forks and wheels today. Can't wait to see how the wheels turned out.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
There's a nice wee yellow hornet in our work car park at the minute, love the look of them.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
After much swearing, hammering, injuring myself and throwing things in the bin, I've the front end all in and ready to bleed up the brakes. I'll do the rear wheel later in the week.

20180707_224519.jpg