2006 Mazda Mx-5 2.0 - budget track toy

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I’ve been around a few mk1 and mk2 MX5s over the years as friends have used them for track days and motorsport events, and I’ve been really impressed about how competitive they can be with little to no work, whilst also being pretty hardy to abuse. A few trips to the Nürburgring and some passenger runs round Kirkiston had me decided that I needed to get more involved in local track days, but up until now I’d been scared of breaking, damaging my cars or felt they were just useless for the track.

Over the past few months I’ve been half looking around for something to track; the usual small Clio/Fiesta/Civic hatches or an MX-5.

A couple of months ago a friend bought a mk3 MX5 off Facebook and when I realised how cheap they can be got for these days I set out to find one of my own. They aren’t that much heavier than mk2s, a bit more comfier/refined, bit more power to start as a base for more tuning and I always quite liked the fat round arches on them. They can also be got now for less than some mk2s are being advertised for.

This one appeared on eBay of all places and only down the road, so I went out to take a look at it. These are a few pics from the advert.

MX5-1.jpg

MX5-2.jpg

It’s a 2006 2.0 (160bhp), based on Fords Duratec (I believe), 16” Enkeis and an LSD as standard. It’s Galaxy Grey, which is probably one of my favourite mk3 colours and I think it has an option pack (few fancy trim pieces just).

It’s a bit rough round the edges, needs a deep clean and is starting to get a wee bit crusty in the usual places, but I didn’t want a minter as I know I’d just not want to abuse it. It also has had a cornucopia of chrome added which will need to be removed asap. There’s chrome indicator surrounds, tail light surrounds, a chrome centre brake light and chrome covers over the seatbelt guides. The rally-spec mudflaps have to go too.

MX5-3.jpg

MX5-4.jpg

Funds will be very restricted on this but short terms plans are to tidy it up a bit, engine, gearbox and diff service, and sort out the exhaust which is blowing out. New set of pads, replace the budget tyres and just get it out on the track. There's a rip in the driver seat bolster so a quick repair or just find a replacement.

MX5-5.jpg

Medium term plans are to lower it and free up the exhaust and manifold. A remap after this can get the mk3s to about 180bhp. I really should think of getting a cage for it, although a very quick hoke about online gives me an impression that it’s awkward enough getting one for them that doesn’t require the roof removed.

If I manage to keep it much longer than that then I think it’d be nice to make it quite motorsporty looking. Coilovers, different light-weight wheels, and a bucket seat. A 2.5 litre bottom end gets them over 200bhp which could be fun.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
One of the fellas in a group of us that does the odd MX-5 track day has one of those with the remap and exhaust and it goes the very best. Should be good fun that.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Very cool man!

Can't wait to see it as some track days.

All great plans too :grinning:.

Personally I'd see what bucket seats fit rather than trying to repair / replace the OE seat.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Awesome! Welcome to the MX5 club! Love they grey. The previous owner to my car has added eibach lowering springs & fully adjustable antirollbars. A bit of tweaking makes all the difference. I'm sure you'll have it sitting rightly in no time. Can't wait to see the progress/steal your ideas lol

Health to slide!

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Thanks folks :grinning:

I thought I'd be able to wait until 1st July to tax it, but with the great weather last week I didn't have the patience and just taxed it. It's been a great few days to be honest, including the odd wee bit of hooliganism out of quiet junctions. Nice and predictable, although at speed it's a bit twitchy. Old suspension and budget tyres will do that I guess. It'll set the traction control off quite easily in 1st and 2nd.

I got the car up on a lift last week and all looked pretty good. It's had a couple of patches repaired at the sills but other than that it was better than I expected. Mazda did a naff job when it came to rust prevention, but they really did a fantastic job with the suspension design and weight-saving. Still 50/50 weight distribution and 140-odd bhp per ton.

That arch gap though! :laughing:

I carried out some more weight saving by removing all the chrome and mudflats. Much better!

Now the not so good. When I gave the car its first clean I discovered a nice bulge in the tyre so swapped a spare wheel on with a tasty Landsail tyre on, and on the lookout for a decent set of new tyres.

I also noticed an oily puddle on the drive over the weekend.

The front drivers shock looks to have given up the ghost with fluid pishing out :sweat: One on the rear driver side is also looking sorry for itself, so I'll need to try and decide pretty sharpish what to do. A full set of standard shocks and lowering springs, or over-stretch my budget and go for something like MeisterR CRD coilovers........

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Those chrome tail light surrounds just pop off handy enough? I've got them on mine and was going to just paint them black to hide them! But I didn't realise you could remove them altogether. The boy at Mazda told me they where part of the tail light unit? How handy where they to remove?

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Mine def weren’t part of the tail lights. They were just stuck on with a long thin strip of a sticky pad. I just slid an old debit card down between the light and the chrome surround to dislodge it, then removed the leftover residue with tar remover. 5 minute job.

I wish I’d known how much the chrome surrounds are new or I’d have been more careful removing them.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I'm def moving towards coilovers now. Anyone know where I can get Meisters cheap?

I need to sell a few bike and garage bits n bobs though to justify spending the additional money on a supposedly budget build :neutral:

A turbo would be good craic @acsmyth lol

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
I'm def moving towards coilovers now. Anyone know where I can get Meisters cheap?

I need to sell a few bike and garage bits n bobs though to justify spending the additional money on a supposedly budget build :neutral:

A turbo would be good craic @acsmyth lol

mx5nutz forum has a member or sponsor there gives like 10-15% discount occasionally but they are flat out with the group buys also

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
So I chickened out on new coilovers. The ones I wanted were working out over £700 and I had to remind myself that this is supposed to be a semi-budget build. After searching about I couldn’t find any decent used ones for sale either and I want the car back on the road asap so I bought a decent set of used shocks and OEM springs to keep me going.

CBD714B3-E18F-4F7A-9742-41342E8B19ED.jpeg

I also ordered a set of Eibach 30mm springs using a bit of discount on mx5parts, which hopefully should drop it to this height.

8A072DA0-CC0A-4962-B111-3A0A27473997.jpeg

When I removed the chrome seatbelt covers I discovered they’d been glued down with No More Nails or something, so I ordered a replacement trim piece from a breakers.

96A180EF-019F-45D4-890F-DA14252E96A8.jpeg

Also picked up some random trim clips a set of OEM mats cheap.

AF4D008F-7CC7-4854-BF01-111D75381CE8.jpeg

Half price oil from Tesco and some new service bits n bobs including some Brembo pads and some new caliper pins incase the ones on the car give me any bother.

C4492321-9F88-4F38-B748-8FFE29707389.jpeg

D7F91F15-D4EB-4CC0-9ADD-9304A77C46D6.jpeg

Finally, the car came with one key, which was broken in two 😩 Got myself an eBay key blank and got everything transferred over. Still need to get a second key soon.

406F9F76-5681-4456-BA3F-B31DF5B6DD6F.jpeg

It’d be nice to get to the next Trackskills but I’ve a wedding the night before and the wife doesn’t fancy stopping by Kirkiston on the way back ffs.

Last edited:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
What are the hold buttons for on the remote? See that oil, does it matter that it's for stop/start technology cars or not really?

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
What are the hold buttons for on the remote? See that oil, does it matter that it's for stop/start technology cars or not really?

Left one you hold down for boot release. On the standard Mazda remote the red hold button has a different symbol which I'm guessing disables the movement sensors (or whatever they're called) part of the alarm so the alarm can be activated with the roof down.

It's the recommended grade and I can't find anything that specifically says it can't be used in normal engines, so I figure the stop start thing is probably just marketing or additives.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Change out the brake fluid while you're at it. Will make a massive difference if it hasn't been done recently.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Change out the brake fluid while you're at it. Will make a massive difference if it hasn't been done recently.

The brakes are surprisingly really good but you're right.

I've a few bottles of Motul RBF600 brake fluid which had been destined for the Supra, so that'll probably go in the MX5 instead along with some braided lines :grinning:

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Dragged myself out of bed yesterday to give the car a quick wash. The sun did a great job of showing how bad the paint was so I grabbed the the polisher and 9 hours later it finished like this. Pretty happy with how it came out.

The tailpipes also got what could be their first ever clean and polish.

AE5D7C5B-521D-42F6-AF6A-AEE40A00B247.jpeg

05B89EED-9532-4BD1-A969-86C4A926C915.jpeg

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
My Pipercross panel filter arrived today. Hopefully free it up a bit 🙂

7E315609-3BBC-4B92-A009-AE357CA4CBB6.jpeg

Plans are starting to come together to get a full 2.5” system built. Also hopefully getting a new 2.5” manifold built too as the standard ones are awful.

Does anyone know where I can get Federal tyres over here?

Last edited: