2007 Honda cbr 1000rr

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Very nice... That gearing will make it lively, any track days planned?

Cheers Mark, I have a 2004 1000rr too with more modifications that I plan to take it on the track next year. I would be scared of dropping the hrc, especially after my efforts to find oem body panels, in saying that the Chinese kits aren't expensive.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Good stuff.... They are super bikes.. Didn't realise you had an older sister too

Oh yes Mark, this is my 4th one now. I can get away from the the 04-07 models, I love the slightly bigger body, no rider aids and thr underseat exhaust. I would love a newer bike but I'm 6ft5 and they fit my like a thong 😂.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Exhaust cleaned up

Before
20200118_120958.jpg

After
20200124_172235.jpg

20200124_172230.jpg

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Felt like the power was quite restricted compared to my 2004, so checked the air filters as they were on the to do list. Definitely due a change

It had k&n filters which was a pleasant surprise, but suspected it somewhat as the bike had a deeper induction note.

20200307_194220.jpg

Very dirty.
20200307_194832.jpg

Even the chamber was filled with dirt
20200307_194407.jpg

But quick clean and it was good as new
20200307_213229.jpg

New oem hifiltro paper filters installed
20200307_194845.jpg

20200307_194837.jpg

I believe the k&n filters are washable, so I might see how they turn out after a scrub and oil.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Yup..... Buy the proper k&n clean & oil kit..... Will have it as new.

They were pigging!!!

I tried a drop of articulate cleaner in hot water and it was like a fly grave yard but tons left that is difficult to shift, so will order the proper cleaner. Tried it with the airline and very little was coming through.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
cant believe how dirty it was - just shows !!

i have used the proper cleaner a couple of times.... came up like new... something tells me they dont recommend air line to clean - but i may well be wrong

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
cant believe how dirty it was - just shows !!

i have used the proper cleaner a couple of times.... came up like new... something tells me they dont recommend air line to clean - but i may well be wrong

No you are correct, they said not to use compressor air or a pressure washer. I tried compressed air at the top of the filter on a small spot, but when I saw it wasn't having an affect I stopped. Soaking it in warm water seemed to work well. Going to try it in the ultra sonic cleaner, the agitation might cause the remaining grime to fall out.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Cheers Mark, I have a 2004 1000rr too with more modifications that I plan to take it on the track next year. I would be scared of dropping the hrc, especially after my efforts to find oem body panels, in saying that the Chinese kits aren't expensive.

@Captain Starlet have you either saw or fitted one of the chinese kits at all ? i mean the replica road kits - not the race glass.... ?

actual race glass is moderately expensive (compared to ~15ish years ago that i was buying it) then you woudl have to paint/decal it.. and ultimately have the hassle of carving out a front light - unless you go daytime MOT which always looks a bit..............

i saw the repsol full kit for just over 300 quid posted !! from China... sounds unbelievably cheap, i imagine it wouldn't be a simple bolt back on job though... maybe some tweaking.. small brackets needing made or cable ties !! etc... woudl be interesting to see or know of anyone local that has got them

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
@gixermark I was very tempted to buy a set to keep my original fairings good as they are a complete fortune to replace, they seem great value as you get all the associated plastic trim too. The previous owner of this bike replaced the rhs front fairings with Chinese farings, and bar the colour difference when compared to the original, the were actually very good fit. They lined up perfectly and even had the honda part numbers moulded on the back.i eventually replaced them with genuine items, but the cost of one genuine panel was £450 😳.

@Gareth could maybe give you more information as I think he fitted a full set to his bike at one point.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@gixermark like @Captain Starlet mentioned, I have bought a set of unpainted plastic fairings from China a few years ago and when I say they were a factory fit, I mean it. I didn't have to move a single mounting bolt hole, there was no pressure on any parts of the plastics and the fit was perfect. The fairings themselves even had the OE factory markings on the inside of the fairing. This was on an RR6.

Alternatively, I fitted a set to a mates 954 and that was a complete shıt show. Cheap, thin plastic, holes in the wrong places, just not a good fit at all.

I still have my RR6 fairings that have done 0 miles if it's of any interest to you. Downside is that they are just plain white. I was planning to use them as track fairings, but never put the bike on the track.

Screenshot_20200701-133248_WhatsApp.jpg

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
thanks guys........ @Gareth fairings for mien (2013) would be different.... yours look like road replacement rather than raceglass too ? it was the potential for the road replacement i liked - as i do want the bike to be both..... and dont want the daytime MOT thing.

what company did you get yours from (if you know?) and what company did your mate get his 954 from ? (so i coudl at least avoid that company!)

in all likelihood i will just leave it as is....... but the thought of bolting up a complete set of panels for just over 300 quid is damn tempting and just store the factory ones...

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@gixermark I couldn't tell you. I've had them that long that eBay don't have the listing in my purchase history. The Yanks love buying from Auctmarts.

I know exactly what you mean about saving your OE panels, considering you would probably get a full fairing from China for the price of a genuine nose come from Honda. There are a few CBR Facebook pages that'd be worth asking.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
cheers Gareth........ will maybe keep an eye on some of the bike racing websites too... there are probably loads of road kits gathering dust from converted race bikes......

i dont want to get too hung up on it to be honest, as i bought this bike 90% to play on track days.... ultimately it will see VERY little use, and i'm not looking to prove myself on track days - just enjoy riding my bike... its one of the things that attracted me to this era blade, modern enough but no electronics.. no lap timers... not crazy high power etc. but also useable if i do want the odd road spin... and i'd be tempted to do one of those transport the bike to spain thing... do a few days scratching around nice roads and maybe a track day... and fly home.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
I did a bit of research and arm fairings on ebay were highly recommended by members on the fireblade Facebook club. I think they have fairings for your bike too.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Interesting! That's the exact one I spotted on eBay... It's arguably worth a punt!

I would certainly give it a shot, I'm tempted to order one myself and if I do I'll be buying it from them. At the end of the day if its terrible you can always return it for a refund, but reports are generally really good.

I think you can customise them to an extent too, if you wanted different sponsors or numbers, it's just a matter or emailing them, they just can't advertise it due to copyright laws.