2007 Subaru Forester Sti

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Time for a new daily driver. I've been trying to figure out what to replace my e39 with. I didn't want another saloon, this time I wanted to go back to an estate car. It had to be interesting, pretty rare, fast and practical.

I initially wanted a Mitsubitshi Evo Wagon. I even went as far as bidding on a mint white one at a Japanese Auction. I didn't win the auction, and it was looking like I was going to have to accept a more rough, high mileage car to fit my budget. I didn't want a car that might need work so the Evo idea was starting to fade. I also figured the Evo was more suited to a weekend car, than a daily driver.
My attention soon started to go towards a Forester Sti. I've always liked the Forester but theres no hiding the fact that they are pretty dam fugly!
I soon spotted a blue one with a forged engine for sale at Torque GT. I enquired if it was still for sale, unfortunately they had just taken a deposit that day. Though we still sent a few emails back and fourth about the pros and cons of Foresters over an Evo. They couldn't of been more helpful.
Below is the Torque GT car that was already sold.
Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 10.09.10 pm.png

So my attention soon switched to a silver one for sale at Harlow Jap Imports. The car definately suited Silver more. It was a fresh import in perfect condition.
This one...
HJA381.005.JPG

I phoned about the car. There wasn't any answer but the dealer soon called me back. One of the questions I asked was about whether they take trade ins. I didn't have to trade in the e39 to buy the Forester but I think this gave the impression I wasn't a serious buyer. I read on a review of Harlow that WhatsApp was the best way to contact them as they don't reply to emails, so I followed the phone call with a few more questions about the car via WhatsApp. Each message took a whole day for a reply. The last message I sent was me asking for his best price on the car. I had all the intentions of putting down a deposit that day. He never replied.
At the same time Mike from Torque GT sent me an email asking if I still wanted a Forester. I mentioned I was thinking of buying the one at Harlow. Though since I wasn't getting a reply from Harlow I enquired about importing one with them. Didn't take long for them to convince me importing one with Torque GT was the way to go. I could of went with JDM Auctionwatch again like I did with the Jap e39 but getting the car undercoated, changed over to MPH and registered was both expensive and a pain in the ass. All this is included with Torque GT so it was a no brainer.
So after I sent a £500 deposit, the process began. First thing was a phone call with Mike to talk about my budget and to decide what spec I wanted. The spec I wanted was;
Silver or Grey Facelift model,
Low mileage, grade 4B car,
As many factory options as possible including;
Sti front splitter and a Genome Exhaust.

Mike was quick to point out that Grey was going to be impossible to find. The colour was only available in the last year of production (2007) and wasn't as popular as Blue and White. He said the last one he saw at auction was 3 months ago. So the hunt was on, I have access to all the auctions via my JDM Auction watch sign in, so I was going to keep an eye on the autions as well. I wasn't sure how long it was going to take. Could be a while until the perfect one popped up.

About ONE HOUR later! I get a phone call from Torque GT. This time its a guy called Darren. He mentioned Mike was with a customer and this couldn't wait. He has a live feed to all the auctions and theres been a late, unscheduled entry into the Kobe auction. Its only a 2007 GREY Forester Sti, 84,000 km, grade 4B!

I wasn't quite ready for things to move this quick but he mentioned he never sees Grey ones at auction and he had to phone me because he knew grey was on my wishlist. He emailed through a few grainy screenshot pictures of the car. I tried to see if I could see it when I logged into the auction list, it wasn't there, it really was a late entry and not showing up on the usual website.
The car had a few tacky after market bits attached including a rare looking steering wheel. Darren told me all this was easily taken off and replaced with OEM parts once they had it. I told him to go ahead and try to get it.
It was a Friday and they are closed Saturdays but he told me he would ring me anyway to let me know how we got on. Next day I get the call to say we got it! Apparently it went slightly over my budget but they are going to take the difference out of their end. That was over 2 weeks ago, since then I've had some more photos of the car. Darren thinks it looks to be in great condition. And its got some great options that we didn't know it had because the auction photos were so poor.
It has the Sti Splitter. the Genome center turbo/temp dials (a really rare factory option) and a big s/s exhaust (not Genome), Sti front stut bar and a rear after market one. And the original steering wheel was in the boot!

So without further or do, my next daily driver. Ignore the blue gaiter, red tape on the splitter, gold wheel nuts, red gear knob, stupid fog lights, awful red toggle switches, cr*p steering wheel, carbon finish centre dash. They wont't be there when I collect it.
Also, you'll notice its not got any Sti badges on the front or back. Maybe the original owner wanted it to be discreet? Torque GT will fit all the badges and bumper stickers for me as well.

4262CCA9-E0D1-4C96-8F79-07350BF5039C.jpeg

513D00A7-6310-4FFE-8834-5F075AF75A13.jpeg

3582CC86-191C-4A38-99D6-623F1F884BD9.jpeg

BD5C2DA3-26EA-4E14-B5A1-C1E37E19B387.jpeg

1867ADFC-BAE6-4B95-B530-9011D378DF65.jpeg

5B058120-1A19-458A-9C28-A125290FCC48.jpeg

3E18AEE2-E4D5-4409-BBD6-A47611F0824A.jpeg

E5355F38-C175-461B-BD33-8041CBA12AA4.jpeg

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If they're doing all the legal stuff, make sure the speedo dial is dual marked so it will pass MOT here.

The dual mph/kph is not part of the English MOT.

And then of course if it has xenon's which is likely.....headlamp washers can be another sticking point if MOT are being dicks

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
If they're doing all the legal stuff, make sure the speedo dial is dual marked so it will pass MOT here.

The dual mph/kph is not part of the English MOT.

And then of course if it has xenon's which is likely.....headlamp washers can be another sticking point if MOT are being dicks

Thanks, @Neil_M already mentioned the washer thing to me but I didn't know about the dual dials. I'll make sure I mention this to them.

Another thing I forgot to mention; if you look at the black pipe running under the intercooler, it isn't sat straight. Darren says it could be either not clipped on properly or its been moved because theres an after market dump valve fitted. Thats gonna have to go as well.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Great to see this is up Chris :grinning:. It look awesome!

From memory mine was dual marked. It was one thing I asked about, it's meant to be a very easy swap on the Subarus... No wonky pound shop stickers required.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Oh and just a thought @Chris tii I'm sure I still have the Subaru diagnostics about somewhere in the garage... if you wanted I'd be happy to rig it up to the car.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Oh and just a thought @Chris tii I'm sure I still have the Subaru diagnostics about somewhere in the garage... if you wanted I'd be happy to rig it up to the car.

Thanks @Neil_M. Thats good to know!

I wouldn't go digging it out for a while though. The car doesn't get to Dover until December 26th. And after chatting to @Samy888 about getting his Evo through Torque Gt, it could take a couple of months for them to get it ready to collect! So I'm looking at a 4 month wait. :weary_face:

warren

RMS Photographer
That looks excellent, fast estates are the best kind of car. Will be perfect when all the strange colourful bits are gone!

Im not sure what way I'm reading this but it doesnt look particularly grey to me.... lol. Not that I'd have any complaints of black either, it looks stellar.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I hate this but love it so much!!!hahaha
Will look superb once all put back to normalness

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Im not sure what way I'm reading this but it doesnt look particularly grey to me.... lol. Not that I'd have any complaints of black either, it looks stellar.

Yeah it’s really dark. I think the silver looks more grey than the grey. Here’s a picture of the last grey one Torque GT had. Apparently the colour looks great in the flesh.

39606B7F-5331-463C-96FF-D2558C43F96B.png

Gambit

RMS Regular
I've never seen a forester sti in dark grey metallic ever...on reading your initial post & pic I thought it was the crystal grey metallic you where after. DGM is same colour and mine and @CharlySkunkWeed Impreza sti's

The pipe you are talking about is just the breather hard pipe and it mounts to the to intercooler and does look like it's been unbolted in order to refit the factory dump valve, you can see another had been fitted at some point as the blue cable tie and light coloured pipe on it isn't factory as such. Nothing to worry about!

Looks very clean underneath (y) obviously your first port of call is to get it mapped for our fuel and at least make sure you use a good octane booster with our super unleaded if you intend hammering it before mapping it

They are class looking cars on the road, so different to the norm (y)

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Oh my that is stunning - as Stevie said dual reading clocks are a must and not available after market (even the Litchfield jobbies didn't have the dual read out). I ended up printing something out and sticking it on the dial even though mine had been converted to miles/mph. The washer jets I split and taped jets on to the front of the car which passed MOT (which the MOT guys had a good laugh at).

Dont forget to get it mapped as if it has been mapped it'll be for JDM fuel which is higher rated than our poor 97 or 95 - also if it comes from England mapped it'll probably be mapped for 98 unless you specify. I'd recommend @bludgod he fettled with both my Subaru's and I did a track day with his map on my Forester STi.

I honestly didn't know they came in that colour that is stunning. Good to see the center console has been wrapped as the black paint/materiel that comes on them as standard is udder pish and usually peels off.

I'd recommend getting a set of coilovers on them as it completely transforms the car. Michael White @ OMA had my Forester for a day to install the coilovers and set the tracking and it was a completely different car to drive.

Enjoy they're a really nice and fun car to own.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Oh my that is stunning - as Stevie said dual reading clocks are a must and not available after market (even the Litchfield jobbies didn't have the dual read out). I ended up printing something out and sticking it on the dial even though mine had been converted to miles/mph. The washer jets I split and taped jets on to the front of the car which passed MOT (which the MOT guys had a good laugh at).

Dont forget to get it mapped as if it has been mapped it'll be for JDM fuel which is higher rated than our poor 97 or 95 - also if it comes from England mapped it'll probably be mapped for 98 unless you specify. I'd recommend @bludgod he fettled with both my Subaru's and I did a track day with his map on my Forester STi.

I honestly didn't know they came in that colour that is stunning. Good to see the center console has been wrapped as the black paint/materiel that comes on them as standard is udder pish and usually peels off.

I'd recommend getting a set of coilovers on them as it completely transforms the car. Michael White @ OMA had my Forester for a day to install the coilovers and set the tracking and it was a completely different car to drive.

Enjoy they're a really nice and fun car to own.

Thanks. Do you think if you didn’t have the washers and dual dials fitted they would of noticed? Especially if it wasn’t it’s first MOT? I’m going to get Torque GT to organise the tuning I think. I’ll be sure to mention it needs to tuned to BP 97.
As for the suspension, it has pink springs. Guessing their “Sti” pink Are these stock? Or upgraded?

EC42AE14-1EB6-40D9-9F85-D433E44744F0.jpeg

Gambit

RMS Regular
i would advise getting it mapped over here because if its mapped over there then when you bring it back here and it gets issues - youve got to find someone here to look at it & its map - if its map issue then its basically another remap as it'll prob be locked or else cart it back over to them.

i use @bludgod for all my mapping and OMA for all the garage work

pinks would be the optional STI springs, OE would be black. Shocks are std sti.

re Lights - are you sure it has HID's? hard to tell but they look like std h4 bulbs.

aswell as @adam1942 , @lennyd will also be able to help you out with any specific Fozzy sti queries you have

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Seriously considering one of these facelifts to replace the v70 soon just for abit more noise and fun.
Best of luck with it Chris

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Do they do these in Automatic me love them.

I don’t think they do the Sti in Auto but maybe someone else can correct me on that.
There is a normal turbo model which will come in auto and are still very tuneable.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Do they do these in Automatic me love them.

I don’t think they do the Sti in Auto but maybe someone else can correct me on that.
There is a normal turbo model which will come in auto and are still very tuneable.

Not quite a STi but the Forester Cross Sport is very close, has a EJ205 2.0 engine (from the Impreza Turbo) and a triptronic gearbox with STi styling. Nearly bought one a few years ago in blue, cracking car.

Have to say I absolutely love a Forester. Even the stardard one. That looks a great carx look forward to seeing it one day.