2009 Daihatsu Copen 1.3 litre

jermacstrat

RMS Regular
I have loved convertible cars since my dad had a 1969 MGB roadster that I took to France in the early 1990s. I just like the possibility of driving along without a roof. I know that in the part of the world where I live the weather is not always conducive to convertible driving, but when the sun shines, it is great to have the option.

Astra pic.jpeg
350z.JPG

I have owned an Astra convertible and a Nissan 350z convertible in the past, but more recently, since I have a practical everyday car, I was keeping an eye out for something quirky and not too expensive as a convertible alternative. I had seen a couple of Daihatsu Copens in the past and remember thinking they were quite different to usual cars and had that unusual look. So, I kept an eye on the classifieds thinking that I may have to go over to England to get one. My preference was for blue, grey or yellow but I wasn’t particularly concerned about that. Ideally it should be the larger normally aspirated engine, red leather seats and as young as possible.

Eventually, someone at work noticed an ad on Facebook marketplace for a silver Copen for sale locally. Initially this seemed promising, although it stated that it was an automatic version. I wasn’t really put off by this, but the price seemed a bit much. A couple of weeks later, my son noticed that the price had dropped and I thought I would go and see the car, especially as I was a bit sceptical about whether or not it was actually an automatic.

It turned out that the car was not an automatic after all. It was a 2009 1.3 litre version with red leather seats. We went for a test drive, examined it closely and it looked pretty good. We went back a second time and a deal was done!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

My son - who also posts on here as @Dmur197 - is a keen detailer and car enthusiast, so he got to work on getting the bodywork sorted.

Here are a couple of pictures after the car was washed, compounded, polished and waxed.

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Love that so much! Don’t see many about at all, I’d love one!

Health to enjoy the summer, when it comes

jermacstrat

RMS Regular
OP
jermacstrat
Thanks for comments! Yes, @Gemma , yellow looks really nice in this car. If I ever have to spray any panels, I might consider doing a complete change...

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
I'd never heard of them to an old colleague bought one, she commuted over the Shanes Hill daily in it for a few years and loved it, it was also silver with the red leather seats.

jermacstrat

RMS Regular
OP
jermacstrat
Looks fantastic mate!
Do they go well being so small?
It is quite nippy. While the stats aren’t as impressive when compared to other 2 seater roadsters, it’s light, low to the ground and has firm suspension so it does feel fast...

jermacstrat

RMS Regular
OP
jermacstrat
One of the first things that needed done was a replacement rear light fitting as the existing one was cracked.
6967F051-B7E5-4C2E-835C-CAADFDB9B8CA.jpeg

I was worried that this might be an expensive repair judging by initial estimates, but fortunately I found a unit on eBay that was quite reasonable.

I had to put the car on ramps to aid access to the rear as there isn’t a lot of room for manoeuvring. However, once the two clips were located, the old unit came out easily and the new one was slipped in. I also have 2 spare bulbs from the original unit too...
6059A8CE-A976-4EFF-B78F-3A76CB4C59F9.jpeg
5D0DFA31-D423-4CB8-963A-F2845E332619.jpeg

jermacstrat

RMS Regular
OP
jermacstrat
Next up for the Copen was an oil and filter change. I had heard that the filter can be difficult to get to, but it was located pretty easily and not difficult to remove. Perhaps the 0.66 turbo engine version is the more difficult one...

Anyway, the operation was straightforward.

Pictures below...

The last pic is the new oil filter in place.

I now need to get a new air filter and I might consider doing an engine bay clean up too....

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
How cool is that! Very rare sight on our roads, it's great to see something different like that.

Enjoy!

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Brilliant wee car! I’ve taken a notion of one of these or a Renault Twizy recently but keep going back to look at these more and more.

Good luck with it!

jermacstrat

RMS Regular
OP
jermacstrat
As a bit of a ‘reward’ for getting through the MOT, I treated the Copen to a clean, wax top up and most importantly, a well deserved engine bay detail after its service.

After the paint correction and detail I had done after I bought it, I had given it a “Soft99 Fusso Coat” for protection. I was very pleased with this in terms of how water beaded when it was wet, and the durability of the shine. After a wash this time, I felt it would be wise to top it up using “Soft99 King of Gloss Light” for general protection and to add some gloss.

5697D484-571F-41C2-BD4E-270FB4C15639.jpeg

I was very impressed with the results - it provided a very slick finish and the car was visibly much glossier after application!

Then I moved on to the engine bay.

It was filthy and didn’t look like it had been done before - I wasn’t too worried about that as it’s not something people would generally bother with. It also meant I knew the previous owner wasn’t trying to hide anything because if there was, say, an oil leak in the last few years I would be able to tell. Here are some before pictures...

Then this is how it looked after a good scrub with some degreaser and Auto Finesse all purpose cleaner...

Thanks to @Dmur197 for assistance and cleaning materials! (y)

Last edited: