2011 Audi Q5 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line Special Edition

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Still have this and probably will until it blows up/gets destroyed/wrekt by the kids but underneath, its still a car in very good condition

So my wife is on holiday and normally works weekends so weekend past I had the rare opportunity to dedicate some time to it and sort out a number of niggles in the process. With 2 young boys it was a challenge but persevered and got there in the end.

It received a Gtechniq Ceramic coating probably more than 4 years now and probably only decontaminated 2-3 times. It also had the drivers side arch and door painted due to a random kid hitting it with a bike (which left marring marks by bodyshop) and my wife taking the passenger side up a bush for the craic 🤯

Couple of marks here and there plus a wonky exhaust

Anyway, fully washed and Anachem Purge applied left to dwell for a bit

1661868546017.png

Once rinsed off, the car was a like a different shade of black :eek: it badly needed it by the looks of it. This helped expose the marring and swirls which I found hard to capture on camera but the end result was pretty clear!!

1661868642609.png

An example of one of the marks that I was able to remove which I assume was from taking out the child seat :confounded:

1661868683004.png
1661868696028.png

After 6/7 hours of machine polishing, sealant applied, trim dressed, tyres done, interior detailed and glass sealed, its done and prepared to be wrecked again by two kids :joy:

1661868797050.png

Very happy with the overall result and a lot easier than I thought it would be, testament I guess to the original work put in by PMG 4 years ago.

Few more pics and video here:

Found out that the exhaust mount for the right hand pipe has disconnected so temporarily attached 2 cable ties to keep it in line. Streetracer fabbed the exhaust so quick text to Armo and he's sourcing me another mount which is great since it was fitted at least 3 years ago

1661868958268.png

Bit of a knocking coming from somewhere which is very irritating so its booked in with Turkington Pitstop next month for a suspected top mount failure so fingers crossed thats all it is!

We still love this car, does everything we need and still plenty can be done to it to keep it interesting.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Around 2 years ago I was transporting a front seat from a Golf to get retrimmed and the runner ripped the rear tint.

Ever since it’s been a clear window as I’ve just never got around to getting it done. So again, while she’s away I took it to Platinum Tints in Lurgan to match the sides.

Great job and really accommodating with my work hours.

E311FC8A-B6FA-4682-B654-80E978485BBB.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Been driving it all week and tbh if it had a little more power, I’d happily drive it every day.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Why is it always on holiday periods you get to do the jobs that have been on a never ending list.

30/08/22 above the exhaust hanger mount has broken in the middle so redid the cable ties, just haven’t got round to sourcing a new one.

As usual with all VAG’s the fuel actuator starts to fail meaning you can no longer open the flap with ease and can be quite stressful on the forecourt.

I’ve had the parts for months but got round to doing it today

This time I pried the surround off instead of piercing it - meant I didn’t have to pay for a new surround so was handy enough and 10 mins fixed it

CE435936-43F1-4D96-A4ED-5A07F3B96B20.jpeg

Left the original pull chord in as didn’t see the point in removing it to feed in a new one!

F72F2712-4C06-4B8B-BE0B-B3AC80B2A441.jpeg

Done - no more punching the fuel flap to open 😂

A4C8D8E0-2A61-49AA-9A6B-CC308A2564F4.jpeg

I bought spacers off @brendy months ago too but again, just getting the time now to get them on. Trust me it makes a difference to the “stance” of our family wagon but didn’t get any befores

3A7C0424-CBDB-4B33-83DE-37A2550D87D3.jpeg

Recently had new rear pads, power steering fluid and will eventually need a new rack 😞 but is what it is with “older” VAG cars. Drive it until it dies!

brendy

RMS Regular
Why is it always on holiday periods you get to do the jobs that have been on a never ending list.

30/08/22 above the exhaust hanger mount has broken in the middle so redid the cable ties, just haven’t got round to sourcing a new one.

As usual with all VAG’s the fuel actuator starts to fail meaning you can no longer open the flap with ease and can be quite stressful on the forecourt.

I’ve had the parts for months but got round to doing it today

This time I pried the surround off instead of piercing it - meant I didn’t have to pay for a new surround so was handy enough and 10 mins fixed it

View attachment 383951

Left the original pull chord in as didn’t see the point in removing it to feed in a new one!

View attachment 383952

Done - no more punching the fuel flap to open 😂

View attachment 383953

I bought spacers off @brendy months ago too but again, just getting the time now to get them on. Trust me it makes a difference to the “stance” of our family wagon but didn’t get any befores

View attachment 383954

Recently had new rear pads, power steering fluid and will eventually need a new rack 😞 but is what it is with “older” VAG cars. Drive it until it dies!
Certainly removes the arch overhang that most cars have without spacers. Noice!

Jonty87

RMS Regular
What a day. Literally just into bed getting the Q5 prepped and packing done for our trip to Scotland in the morning. Wife isn’t well so having to juggle all the prep and the Wee one def had my hands full!!

So wind back to yesterday when I took delivery of my Audi roof box:

View attachment 189211

I was under the impression that it came with the roof bars!! Oops! So mad panic last night trying to locate/borrow a set for the weekend.

Fortunately I came across an advert on gumtree that had a set for sale 29 days ago. I text the owner and luckily they were still for sale.

Fast forward to this morning and I met the guy at Loughshore and picked up a brand new, unused set of genuine Q5 roof bars for about a sixth of the price!

View attachment 189209

Perfect fit:

View attachment 189210

Next up was to tackle the centre console and install the carbon trim. This is a strip out job:

View attachment 189212 View attachment 189213 View attachment 189214 View attachment 189215 View attachment 189216 View attachment 189217 View attachment 189218

Job well done and fits perfectly. Bonus being, no extra screws left over!!!

Next was to fully wash and dry but no photos as it ran on very late into the evening.

Was late into the night before I got the box on the roof so no photos until the morning or on the boat when we set sail. Can’t wait for another road trip through Scotland. Been watching loads of Carfections YouTube channel today.
Hi Boydie, where did you buy this carbon fibre trim? thanks

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Hi Boydie, where did you buy this carbon fibre trim? thanks

Got it from German ebay but the "quattro" logo'd one on the dash board was LHD which I didn't think about at the time. Bought new from Audi for RHD and I think off the top of my head was £75, I will see if I have record of it. The rest all fitted perfectly. The centre console one was a PITA to fit

Edit: checked this thread and saw I bought it from Crewe Audi so checked audi sport pm's and found this:

1688991444658.png

Last edited:

Jonty87

RMS Regular
Got it from German ebay but the "quattro" logo'd one on the dash board was LHD which I didn't think about at the time. Bought new from Audi for RHD and I think off the top of my head was £75, I will see if I have record of it. The rest all fitted perfectly. The centre console one was a PITA to fit

Edit: checked this thread and saw I bought it from Crewe Audi so checked audi sport pm's and found this:

View attachment 403567
Spot on thanks for checking that out for me. Just another question, your tune up on the car was that any use?I’ve a 150 Tdi q5 and it’s not great. Have you glass any adverse effects after tuning the car up?thanks

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Spot on thanks for checking that out for me. Just another question, your tune up on the car was that any use?I’ve a 150 Tdi q5 and it’s not great. Have you glass any adverse effects after tuning the car up?thanks

Its a Revo Stage 1 map from TG Performance in Bangor - personally speaking I wouldn't go anywhere else having been a Revo customer since 2009 across various cars and probably guts of 250k miles at least. No issues with the software at all.

Q5 isn't quick but its far better than the 138bhp it had before and its not a bore to drive

Adverse affects could potentially be a slipping clutch if you are manual (which we are) but no issues with it in over 50k miles