2011 vauxhall insignia 2.0 cdti - cold start engine judder

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jamie D

RMS Regular
I have a 2.0 cdti insignia 2011with 64500 miles on it and have recently came across a slight judder when the engine is cold. it has just recently had a service and mot check and everything was good but this has happened a week after the service and mot. I have checked and the spark plugs weren't changed during the service. I am abit worried regarding the problem and hope it is something small and cheap to fix. could someone give me some advice or info on what it could be

Cess

RMS Staff
Hi, your diesel won't have spark plugs - it has glow plugs which res designed to heat the diesel mixture on start up. Anyway, I think that's little to do with your problem.

Diagnosis via the internet is going to be next to impossible, as it could be anything from a dodgy engine mount the old perennial dual mass flywheel. I'd take it back to your mechanic for a proper look over.

Jamie D

RMS Regular
OP
J
Hi, your diesel won't have spark plugs - it has glow plugs which res designed to heat the diesel mixture on start up. Anyway, I think that's little to do with your problem.

Diagnosis via the internet is going to be next to impossible, as it could be anything from a dodgy engine mount the old perennial dual mass flywheel. I'd take it back to your mechanic for a proper look over.

I have been told that it could be the egr valve needs replaced but to try and clean it first to see if this helps the problem

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It could be an injector problem, EGR issue, glow plugs, AFM etc. Almost impossible to say via a forum.

As said, you'd be best off taking it back to your mechanic, or at least taking it to a mechanic to have it scanned for fault codes and an inspection carried before you go upsetting things that are totally unrelated.

Paul47

Drives
Vauxhall Insigni
It could be an injector problem, EGR issue, glow plugs, AFM etc. Almost impossible to say via a forum.

As said, you'd be best off taking it back to your mechanic, or at least taking it to a mechanic to have it scanned for fault codes and an inspection carried before you go upsetting things that are totally unrelated.

Hi Jamie,

Did you ever get to the bottom of the engine judder?
My Insignia is doing exactly the same
Thanks

colin84

RMS Regular
If it's only on initial start up I would say most likely heater plugs.

Paul47

Drives
Vauxhall Insigni
I’m at at a loss,

Engine sounds like is hunting with rev needle bouncing only on cold idle. There is a lean or rich smell from the exhaust. There are no codes and when the engine is warm everything is working as it should. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and MAF sensor.

Please help?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I’m at at a loss,

Engine sounds like is hunting with rev needle bouncing only on cold idle. There is a lean or rich smell from the exhaust. There are no codes and when the engine is warm everything is working as it should. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and MAF sensor.

Please help?
Have you been able to check with an opcom or vauxcom? Not all codes will log with a normal obd2 reader.

When my insignia need glow plugs it only showed up with a opcom app.

If you are on android, search for scanmyopelCAN app and give that a try with an elm327 obd2 reader.

Paul47

Drives
Vauxhall Insigni
Thanks for this. The engine starts first time every time. Could it still be glow plugs?

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
Unlikely to be glow plugs. Ideally you should get the codes read. This will point you in the right direction. It's not unheard of for injectors to fail on these engines. A simple leak back test will give you a good idea of what's going on

Paul47

Drives
Vauxhall Insigni
The injectors have been tested and are ok. I think it’s fuel related as when I changed the fuel pressure regulator the car performed like new for 2 days then came back the rough idle and horrible fuel smell on cold idle. It may be worth taking it to Vauxhall to pick any codes up as only used diagnostic from back street garage.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Modern turbo diesels don't use the glow plugs when cold anymore, they are part of the emissions control systems.

Mine had no trouble starting, but was throwing codes for 2 and 3, I replaced all 4.

Could air be getting into the fuel system somewhere?

As above, check fuel filter, it's very easy to get at on these, about a foot forward of the rear drivers side wheel, just near the sill. Black plastic cover.

I think a 36mm spanner or socket.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.