2012 Vauxhall Insignia changing rear brake pads with electronic parking brake.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RoniN

RMS Regular
2012 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 Diesel SRI with the electric/electronic handbrake.

Can I remove the rear calipers and wind back the piston and replace the rear pads and everything will be fine ??
Or
Does the car need to plugged into the computer and the computer will be used to push the piston back for changing the pads and reset the handbrake for the new pads ??

Been told different answers today.
Can't find a definitive answer online either.

Anyone know ?

Cheers

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Last one I done (which isn't many of these) the calipers are just normal brake calipers with a wind in piston, the electronics of these are a single motor which is attached to the 2 cables. Not saying it applies to every model of insignia but it isn't the same as the VAG setup.

RoniN

RMS Regular
OP
RoniN
Last one I done (which isn't many of these) the calipers are just normal brake calipers with a wind in piston, the electronics of these are a single motor which is attached to the 2 cables. Not saying it applies to every model of insignia but it isn't the same as the VAG setup.

Yeah that's what it looks like the motor is mounted in the centre of the car and connected to the calipers with cables. The motor is not part of the caliper.
So I think I should be able to wind the piston back as normal.

Cheers

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I have changed rear pads on one of the first Insignias without a computer, just a normal wind back. Don't know if the later ones are any different.

genman

G
by the book theres a process to follow but i've always made sure to treat them like normal brakes and then press the footbrake before using the electric handbrake to set the calipers / pads into place.

RoniN

RMS Regular
OP
RoniN
Update, yes rear calipers wind back as normal and pump the footbrake to set the pistons with the new pads and then use the button electric handbrake and it sets the motor itself. Passed mot fine.

Cheers

Golfboy1971

RMS Member
Drives
Insignia 2011
Update, yes rear calipers wind back as normal and pump the footbrake to set the pistons with the new pads and then use the button electric handbrake and it sets the motor itself. Passed mot fine.

Cheers
RoniN, I know it's been a long time since you did this, but I'm also looking to replace my pads and I am confused as to whether I need both a LH (Left hand) and a RH (right hand) rewind tool, or if just a RH one is needed for both sides? I've been hearing conflicting information so a bit confused, so any help you can give would be great.
Thanks

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I remember on my old 09 A4 with electric handbrake, me and dad used welding wires and a car battery to wind back the piston. You got to be ultra careful but it works lol

Golfboy1971

RMS Member
Drives
Insignia 2011
I remember on my old 09 A4 with electric handbrake, me and dad used welding wires and a car battery to wind back the piston. You got to be ultra careful but it works lol
Brennan, lol, that sounds hairy! Mine is not an electronic winding piston, it's cable operated, but a motor does the hard work of pulling the cable when I pull the control switch on the centre console. I'm dreading getting a car with the setup like you described :grinning:

genman

G
if your in need of a rewind tool ive been using the ones you see on ebay etc with all the adaptor parts and its great.. ...if your near belfast and need a loan . just ask

Golfboy1971

RMS Member
Drives
Insignia 2011
if your in need of a rewind tool ive been using the ones you see on ebay etc with all the adaptor parts and its great.. ...if your near belfast and need a loan . just ask
Genman, Thanks for the offer, I've taken the plunge and purchased one, so I'll hopefully manage to sort out the brakes this weekend.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.