2013 VW CC Airbag light has come on

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Guys I was wondering if anyone could help, the mother has a 2013 CC, she was driving home as normal today from town and all of a sudden the airbag light came on the dials, there was a brief message at the time which she thinks it said something about an inactive airbag, she didn't have time to read it.

I had a look when she got home but the car won't give a description of anything that's wrong, it just says Error: Airbag, and the yellow airbag light is on. The car is going to be put on a diagnostic machine on Monday as she is working tomorrow.

As you can imagine it's quite concerning, so any help or past experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

DEF51BD1-0E87-46CA-8B26-F9FD2DD2D36A_zpsugx5dpeh.jpg

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
It's worth checking the connectors beneath the seats, they seem to be able to become dislodged over time, especially if anything has ever slid under the seat.

Usually a yellow plug / connection under the seat (you can disconnect and reconnect to see if it helps). Probably a good place to start (y)

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Been doing research for the same thing and car. Going to split the connector under the seat today and reconnect and get the light turned off via vcds.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Won't be anything to worry about,as said more that likley one of the connectors below the seat,needs plugged in to clear the fault

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Thanks guys I will check under the seats later tonight, she did say she had the 2 front seats right back when hoovering the car, so hopefully it's something unclipped.
Been doing research for the same thing and car. Going to split the connector under the seat today and reconnect and get the light turned off via vcds.

Strange that, same car same issue

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Thanks guys I will check under the seats later tonight, she did say she had the 2 front seats right back when hoovering the car, so hopefully it's something unclipped.

Strange that, same car same issue

Waste of time now,as you'll need the diagnostics to clear it anyway

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Yeah but it will be important to clip it back in if that's the issue

It'll still be clipped in,it will be putting the seat back that's done it,any movement in the wire/connecter will have triggered the fault

Jason

RMS Regular
If the light came on after seats being moved/unsettled it'll be the joint under seat. Its common on all Audi/VW's, most likely clear the code and it won't return unless unsettled again. Happens all the time on them. If your near by i'll plug it in.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Airbag key switch fault is very common in work with these. Do horn and steering wheel controls work, possible slipring? The connectors under the seat are a thing of the past for giving problems from what I have experienced anyway. Haven't rewired one in years.

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
This is still happening, really annoying, any time the drivers or passengers seat is moved back or forward it throws up the airbag light on the dash.

Any of you guys know a fix for this?

My sister has an A3 around the same age, it doesn’t do this

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
You can cable tie the plug to keep it tight. What you need to remember is that if the airbag warning is on the dash, in a lot of cases the airbags will fail to deploy in an accident.

Boksic

RMS Regular
This is still happening, really annoying, any time the drivers or passengers seat is moved back or forward it throws up the airbag light on the dash.

Any of you guys know a fix for this?

My sister has an A3 around the same age, it doesn’t do this

Get someone more able than yourself to cut the connection blocks off and solder the wires together, I assume you'll not be removing the seats for anything. It means the same problem won't ever happen again as there won't be a joint there any more to work loose.

Malc Pearce

Drives
Passat B7 Estate
Hi guys - we've just purchased a 2012 Passat estate and within two days the airbag light has come on... :worried: I've read your comments here and I'd like to try to re-seat the yellow connectors for the airbag and then reset the dash light to off. I'm new to the B7 Passat and I understand that the ODBC software I have is out of date and I need VCDS Lite, which I have found. The question I have is what USB to ODBC cable I will need to reset the light???? Any ideas or help is much appreciated! :grinning:

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Hi guys - we've just purchased a 2012 Passat estate and within two days the airbag light has come on... :worried: I've read your comments here and I'd like to try to re-seat the yellow connectors for the airbag and then reset the dash light to off. I'm new to the B7 Passat and I understand that the ODBC software I have is out of date and I need VCDS Lite, which I have found. The question I have is what USB to ODBC cable I will need to reset the light???? Any ideas or help is much appreciated! :grinning:

Vcds lite will not work on your car

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
Get this sorted @Brennan ?

Happened on my car yesterday - looks like it this broken clock spring business there was recalls in the US about, steering wheel controls stopped working too

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
If you have no steering controls or illumination, no horn and the airbag light on then your steering wheel controller is faulty (aka slip ring, clock spring or whatever else you want to call it)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
If its not the clock/squib/ring or whatever its called it could be a faulty airbag ecu module. I replaced one on the daily driver when i bought it as the light kept coming on, got one off ebay for £20, fitted, code cleared and has been fine since.

JohnB

Drives
Mini
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I found the forum searching for this VW Fault.

A friend of mine has a Jettea thta is just out of warranty and the clockspring went on it.

This is a know fault and has been recalled in the USA but not over here!

I contacted VW, They said they were very concerened as its a safety issue and said go to local dealer and get them to plug it in to verify the fault first of all.
Went to dealer they wanted £100 to diagnose and tell us what we already know so told them to stuff it.
Got back in touch with VW, they said they could not help. So it would be £100 in the pot before you start and they may or may not fix it for free, if its a no then they charge just under £300 for the clockspring plus extorsionate labour prices.

I removed the clock spring and opened it up, sent pictures to VW they were not interested!!

I then repaired the clockspring free of charge and re-fitted it.

VW should be held accountable for this here not just in the USA.

JohnB

Drives
Mini
I forgot to add that inside there are three rubber rings that are desiged to keep the ribbon in place, these are the cause of the problem, through them away, re-solder the ribon this will give you 2 full turns in each direction but you only need 1 1/2 .

Attachments

• 20190313_133429.jpg
    20190313_133429.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 3,573