2014 Audi A4 Avant B8

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
So picked this up today from Derry/Londonderry way.

95K on the clock and 8 years old. Storm Grey pearlescent paint. I like it.

Apart from one stone chip and a load of swirly paint - its in good order. Kestral DAS6 and Menzerna polishing paste will get a good work out soon, then coated with Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax - well that's the plan.

Engine sounds a little rough - Wynn's injector cleaner straight in! That'll be followed by a full fuel clean additive on the next tank.

Nextbase Dash Cam fitted, cos Audis = d1ck magnets, or more likely just my luck.

Alignment will be set up ASAP, as will new tyres all round.

2.0L TDi unit generating a mighty 136Hp (Not a quarter of what the XJR kicks out), so may look to remap or fit a tunit style box.
Journey back from Derry/L-Derry delivered a solid 58mpg according to the trip comp - so happy days already.

XJR was jsut too thirsty round town, so this Audi jalopey will be used for town driving, local driving and dump runs etc.

Audi + Jag.jpg

More pics once it looks a bit more presentable. 20ft stunner at the moment.

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st

Apart from one stone chip and a load of swirly paint - its in good order. Kestral DAS6 and Menzerna polishing paste will get a good work out soon, then coated with Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax - well that's the plan.

Engine sounds a little rough - Wynn's injector cleaner straight in! That'll be followed by a full fuel clean additive on the next tank.

Nextbase Dash Cam fitted, cos Audis = d1ck magnets, or more likely just my luck.

2.0L TDi unit generating a mighty 136Hp (Not a quarter of what the XJR kicks out), so may look to remap or fit a tunit style box.
Journey back from Derry/L-Derry delivered a solid 58mpg according to the trip comp - so happy days already.

XJR was jsut too thirsty round town, so this Audi jalopey will be used for town driving, local driving and dump runs etc.

View attachment 362431

Very nice . Is it not a b8 ?

brendy

RMS Regular

View attachment 362431

Much better bin run motor than the Jag :grinning:
A bit of software tweaking and it'll be a nice responsive, frugal tool for you. Enjoy matey.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Great daily, good choice Rigger. Also pure pedantry, but its a B8.5 :laughing:

Is it manual or auto? I love my B8, lovely place to sit in.
Audi fan-boi much? :laughing: I'm as big a anorak on modern Jags;)

It's a manual mate. Question on gearboxes - whens the recommended clutch change? Obviously depends on amount of gear changes etc, but any idea of a ball park figure?
Much better bin run motor than the Jag :grinning:
A bit of software tweaking and it'll be a nice responsive, frugal tool for you. Enjoy matey.
Cheers bud - did one dump run with the XJR - got a fairly questioning look from boyo in the booth lol.

only had a few bits of cardboard in the back, but you could tell from the look on his face - asking himself "WTF is he doing bringing that here?" 😅
@bludgod done a nice wee map on the wife’s 140bhp q3. Nothing crazy but pepped it up nicely.
Anywhere in particular, or just a box fitted under the bonnet?

(Should have said 'under the hood', cos you know - I'm a wind up merchant ;))

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
When I opened the thread I initially thought you had bought an S4 and I thought your budget runabout had escalated to complete man maths lol

I guess it still has 😂 but with sensible running costs

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
When I opened the thread I initially thought you had bought an S4 and I thought your budget runabout had escalated to complete man maths lol

I guess it still has 😂 but with sensible running costs
lol - yeah, I blew the budget I had initially set - but not that much.

Should recoup my costs within 3 years instead of 6 months 😅

There was a tasty A4 S-Line Avant - but it was 150K miles iirc.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
The 136 is dead!! Our Q5 was the same and a remap changed it completely. Still slow AF but a lot nicer to drive with 180bhp

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Great cars!

My Mrs had over 190k on it when he give it to her mum for plodding about it and it's still on the same clutch. Went through MOT 2 weeks ago with a wash and headlight alignment.

Other than 2 front wheel bearings, it gave absolutely no bother at all.

If I could find a decent auto, I would gladly buy another for her daily grind to the city.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
The 136 is dead!! Our Q5 was the same and a remap changed it completely. Still slow AF but a lot nicer to drive with 180bhp
You should borrow my VW T4 straight diesel for the afternoon, it'll change your perception of what dead is. 0-60 in over 40 seconds

Tried to overtake a cyclist up a hill a few weeks ago, the cyclist made ground on me instead :joy::joy:

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Audi fan-boi much? :laughing: I'm as big a anorak on modern Jags;)

It's a manual mate. Question on gearboxes - whens the recommended clutch change? Obviously depends on amount of gear changes etc, but any idea of a ball park figure?
When the slave cylinder fails.... as Matt found out last week on his 2014 A3... :rolleyes:
:grinning:

Nice looking wagon, have had a few Audis as you know and loved them all, but none beats my 1990 80 Sport 8V

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Took for alignment today - well, tried to lol

4 different tyres on at the moment, which isn't good for doing alignments.

Getting 4 Mitchelin Cross Climate 2's fitted tomorrow (hopefully), and then on the ramp for Hunter Laser alignment.

Thanks @RubberLover for putting it up on the ramp this afternoon and letting me have a good look underneath.

Car looks remarkably good underneath - only a sleeve fitted to one part of the exhaust - and even that's been done well.
The rest of it looks really good - never seen a car as old look as good. Part of me now waiting to see when the bad rears its head.

Next plan is to hard wire in the dashcam, then look at the brakes properly. Not going extreme like I did with the Jag front brakes, just new stock pads and discs on front first.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Happy days @Rigger looks a good example.
I have brand new genuine rear right caliper, motor and carrier here and s4 front calipers if your moding 🤣
Also think I’ve a new boot lock, new led door lights. Message me an you can have the lock, led door lights and k&n air filter for nothing bud

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Very kind if you Sir! Thank you!!!

I wasn't looking to change anything drastic to be honest. The car isn't fast enough to justify putting S4 calipers on lol

But again - a huge thank you for your offer.

That's the trouble with car forums - others helping which is great, and then others helping you spend your money on things you didn't know you needed ;)

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Very kind if you Sir! Thank you!!!

I wasn't looking to change anything drastic to be honest. The car isn't fast enough to justify putting S4 calipers on lol

But again - a huge thank you for your offer.

That's the trouble with car forums - others helping which is great, and then others helping you spend your money on things you didn't know you needed ;)
The same happened to me when you invited me to the Jag forum, and the very first reply to my introduction post by cutlea01 cost me £120 :joy:

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
The same happened to me when you invited me to the Jag forum, and the very first reply to my introduction post by cutlea01 cost me £120 :joy:
He's a good lad is Alan - him and his wife let me stay at theirs for a couple of nights when I was looking at the XJR.

Couldn't ask for a nicer couple.

Saying that - he's got a properly tasty 5.0L XKR, that sounds fan-*******-tastic!!

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
He's a good lad is Alan - him and his wife let me stay at theirs for a couple of nights when I was looking at the XJR.

Saying that - he's got a properly tasty 5.0L XKR, that sounds fan-*******-tastic!!
After going to Ivan Kerrs yesterday and talking with @RubberLover - I popped down to Marc @ Polished and Waxed.

The intention was to polish it myself - but I know Marc's work - and so we had a look at what could be done with the A4.

The stone chips I'll get treated with Chippex. There's lacquer peeling on the OSR wheel arch on the bumper, so will see a local paintshop about redoing that.
Thankfully its only the lacquer - and not he paint.

Marc will then do a enhancement detail in a few months - as its only light scratches - and tons of swirls - which will take out 90% of those and leave it looking far better.

Also got talking to @300trophy, who was doing a collab with Marc. Good to see you again fella. Hope I didn't distract you too much chinwagging while you were working.

And thanks for doing that spot job on the A4's steering wheel - feels so much nice already!!

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB

Yes he called me after I purchased them to talk me through installing, some hints on where to stash the box and a general yarn about the cars. Seemed a decent guy, definitely a nice touch and reassuring it was an honest sale. Always a but of a risk joining a forum and sending someone an amount of money straight away.

Do love the sound of all the 'R' jags, always capture the angry wild cat sound. I remember the S-Type-R coming out and aftermarket exhausts just bowing my mind at the time with the noises coming out of them. Actually part of what made me buy the Supercharged XJ I had years back, which set me in to the love for them.

Anyway, hijacking your Audi thread a bit here. Looks clean, real nice example. Should be a nice all rounder as a daily too.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
New tyres and hunter laser alignment. Been giving the guys a bit of a headache with access, but getting it done.

20220527_135739.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Bit of a fail today. Going up the hill at Ards towards Belfast, accelerating hardish and car cut out. Managed to get to a lay-by. Turned engine off. Waited a few seconds, turned ignition - started up no probs.

Collected heat gun from @dh1079 , pleasure to meet you bud!

Had a quick look under hood while there. Looks like one of the injectors has failed, pool of fuel by the injector. Called dealer, car will be going for repairs on Monday. Bugger!

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Bit of a fail today. Going up the hill at Ards towards Belfast, accelerating hardish and car cut out. Managed to get to a lay-by. Turned engine off. Waited a few seconds, turned ignition - started up no probs.

Had a quick look under hood while there. Looks like one of the injectors has failed, pool of fuel by the injector. Called dealer, car will be going for repairs on Monday. Bugger!
Nice to meet you too buddy

A4 looks tidy I’m sure you won’t be long sorting injector

brendy

RMS Regular

Warranty ok?