2014 Mini Cooper SD (F56)

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
A massive life change meant my weekly mileage has massively increased, including alot of slow moving city traffic. The A6 has always been a little hard on fuel. It would have usually done mid-20s on a constant motorway run, and I seen just over 30mpg when driving over to Germany last summer. This went down to low teens when I've had to commute it and cross from one side of Belfast to the other in rush hour traffic. With the increases in cost of abso-feckin-lutely everything, I had to make some big choices in cutting costs, and the A6 was going to be a big casualty of my cost cutting.

The clutch on my MX5 is reaching the end of its life, so I had to stop using it at the start of December as my mechanic had a 2 month wait before he could fit it in. To tie me over I've been driving this little fun sleeper. 260bhp, 345lb ft. 1.9tdi. Fully adjustable Spax suspension.

1707691435882.png
1707691616390.png

Here follows a common theme for me. I'll start looking at the usual cars I'd think would be ideal for me, then buy something completely different!

In this case I was looking at Skoda Octavia VRs, Skoda Superb, Passat estate, CCs, Seat Leon FR, VW Golf, Audi A3s. All 2.0 diesels for the necessity of higher mpg. In 31 years of driving this was the first time I've had mpg so high on my car need list ffs.

Anyways, VAG diesels it was. Until I remembered a friend had a wee MINI 1.6 diesel as a run around and I'd always liked them, but other than that knew nothing more about them. I put a post on here about them and had a few replies, including one from @Terry who was going to put his up for sale in the near future. So I went and had a look at it, and the deal was done. I have to say that I've never had a more straight forward and genuine car buying experience until now. Terry is an absolute gentleman and I'm very happy to have met the guy, and his family. They couldn't have made me feel more welcome or have been any more honest with the sale.

So this is it.

IMG_2342.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg
IMG_2356.jpeg
IMG_2367.jpeg

A 2014 Cooper SD, in white silver metallic. I don't think pics do this colour any justice. Reminds me of a white pearl on an Alfa or older Audi. Stunning colour. For a 10yr old car I was quite surprised of the condition. Not a dent or scrape that I can see yet anyways. Some stone chips on the bonnet and part of the bonnet stripe has a slight mark, but that seems to be it.

As earlier, I've no clue about MINIs but to me I quite like the spec:

- Chili Pack
- Excitement Pack
- Visibility Pack
- Lights Pack
- Connect Pack
- Multimedia XL with 8.8" screen, Nav and DAB
- John Cooper Works steering wheel
- Lounge leather satellite grey heated seats
- Auto light and wipers
- Head up display
- Headed windscreen
- Cruise control
- Start/stop

First impressions are that I really like it. It's refined, for a diesel. It's torquey and runs out of revs quite quickly. Handles very well too. The multimedia is fantastic, for someone like me who has been used to basic stuff. Decent sat nav, bluetooth streaming, DAB, and some handy info on the car like tyre pressures, oil level (no dipstick ffs!), torque and power readings.

IMG_2374.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg
IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2375.jpeg

There's a couple of things about the car that I'm not a hundred percent on yet, but hope they grow on me. The first is the seats. I've always had black seats in cars, apart from my S2000 which had red leather. I was convinced I wouldn't like these. They kind of look more cream than grey in the pics, but in person they aren't as bad as I thought, although with a toddler I'm sure I'll have to keep a cloth handy. They certainly brighten up the interior. I hope they'll grow on me.

The other thing I'm not sure about yet is the size of it. The A6 was great for carrying lots of stuff, and four people very comfortably. I don't think I could have two adults in the back of the MINI for long. The Supra and MX5 are also small cars so I'll just have to depend on friends now for those times I need to transport something bulky.

Also don't like the fact that servicing is supposed to be digital ffs so I'll be ordering a MINI service book for old fashioned pen written records and stamps.

First mod was to remove the dealer sticker on the rear window.

Short terms plans are to put my plate on it and get to know it better.

If I like it then hopefully medium term plans will be:

- Carplay MMI system
- De-chrome, including the mirrors
- Smaller stubby aerial
- Paint the calipers
- Sort the stone chips on the bonnet
- Buy a set of spare wheels and winter tyres

If it stays longer than that then I'm thinking:

- Remap or tuning box
- Sort out the bonnet stripe. Either remove altogether or replace.
- Replace the wheels

Dream plans would be:

- Digital dash retrofit
- Lower it a little
- Fit a subtle(ish) rear diffuser

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I was beside that Seat heading onto the Sandyknowes roundabout a couple of weeks ago and was like nice! and heard the racket of something with poke but didn't realise it was coming from it.:joy:

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I was beside that Seat heading onto the Sandyknowes roundabout a couple of weeks ago and was like nice! and heard the racket of something with poke but didn't realise it was coming from it.:joy:

That would defiantly have been me as I don't live far from there lol

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Put my plate on it today which means it’s staying for the next wee while. Also polished up the outside of the tail pipes.

IMG_2688.jpeg

I’d quite like to get a shorter plate for the front and back but the front black bumper bar has faded in the sun. Looks to be a common thing. I tried a hairdryer and DA hoping to fix it but neither worked so need to look in to this more. The difference is very noticeable when I took the front plate off.

IMG_2685.jpeg

I’ve owned this a month now and really do like it.

Just feels the right amount of torque and power for what I’m using it for. In sport mode it handles incredibly well and in green mode it’s been returning 55-60mpg pretty steady.

It feels small and nimble and reminds me of the fun I used to get owning a small hot hatch. The suspension is a little bit harsh over bumps but not unbearable.

The start stop doesn’t always work. Sometimes it does but most of the time it doesn’t. First guess is perhaps the battery, so I’ve it on a CTEK charger at the minute and going to see if it helps it in the morning, otherwise I’ll get a new battery for it and hope that solves it.

I still love the colour. It has to be one of my favourite colours for a Mini.

The sat nav really could do with an update. I’m in two minds about replacing it with a CarPlay MMI now as apart from the nav, the rest of the functionality of the head unit is just fine, especially for someone like me who has gotten used to basic ICE in cars over the years.

(Also, I originally assumed it didn't have an oil dipstick as the ICE has a button to check it, but it does. Yay!)

Last edited:

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
That is really class. The interior design is mega compared with most of the boring stuff on sale these days.

Know what you mean about size - I'm ripping about ATM in the wife's R56 Countryman and it's a hoot blasting round the back roads.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I had a 2015 5 door SD and still miss it. It might be worth while looking into upgrading the radio/satnav unit. Try having a look at miniF56.com for ideas and advice on identifying exactly what radio you have and what you can upgrade to.

Kproctor22

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M240i
Put my plate on it today which means it’s staying for the next wee while. Also polished up the outside of the tail pipes.

View attachment 427767

I’d quite like to get a shorter plate for the front and back but the front black bumper bar has faded in the sun. Looks to be a common thing. I tried a hairdryer and DA hoping to fix it but neither worked so need to look in to this more. The difference is very noticeable when I took the front plate off.

View attachment 427768

I’ve owned this a month now and really do like it.

Just feels the right amount of torque and power for what I’m using it for. In sport mode it handles incredibly well and in green mode it’s been returning 55-60mpg pretty steady.

It feels small and nimble and reminds me of the fun I used to get owning a small hot hatch. The suspension is a little bit harsh over bumps but not unbearable.

The start stop doesn’t always work. Sometimes it does but most of the time it doesn’t. First guess is perhaps the battery, so I’ve it on a CTEK charger at the minute and going to see if it helps it in the morning, otherwise I’ll get a new battery for it and hope that solves it.

I still love the colour. It has to be one of my favourite colours for a Mini.

The sat nav really could do with an update. I’m in two minds about replacing it with a CarPlay MMI now as apart from the nav, the rest of the functionality of the head unit is just fine, especially for someone like me who has gotten used to basic ICE in cars over the years.

(Also, I originally assumed it didn't have an oil dipstick as the ICE has a button to check it, but it does. Yay!)
@Mont I’ve got a Bavarian Automotive CarPlay box in my F56 JCW and although it’s not perfect I’m very happy with it! Also you still have access to the standard Mini Nav system should you choose to use it for anything.
I like it for using Waze and Spotify mainly and it’s just a lot more visually appealing.
I installed myself and was easy enough.
Personally think it’s well worth the money but also the standard system is more than adequate.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Thanks everyone.

I do think it hides its age well inside and outside.

That CarPlay box looks like what I'm after @Kproctor22. I'd seen one on AliExpress too, but might be better buying one more locally as the price difference isn't that much.

simy

RMS Regular
Re the stop start issue, I have the R56 version and on those there is a wee sensor that plugs into the brake servo cylinder thing. These fail but are cheap to buy off Amazon. Just need to remove wipers and scuttle panels to access it. Don't know if it's the same for these. But was an easy fix anyway.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Re the stop start issue, I have the R56 version and on those there is a wee sensor that plugs into the brake servo cylinder thing. These fail but are cheap to buy off Amazon. Just need to remove wipers and scuttle panels to access it. Don't know if it's the same for these. But was an easy fix anyway.
That's useful to know as start/stop isn't working on our Countryman. Be good to get the light out before I send it to We Buy Any Car!

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
A 60 second modification.

I’ve never liked the flying saucer shape of the key fob. It’s massive in my pocket (ooo errr)

Ordered this genuine fake “carbon fibre” fob from China just to see what it’s like, and also fitted a key ring I’d bought from @Bono872 ‘s theshortshift website years ago but had sat in a drawer.

IMG_3090.jpeg
IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_3092.jpeg