2018 Honda CBR1000RR SP1

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
2E74AECA-E234-4F0A-BCDE-74467D7CEE36.jpeg

I’m a complete hypocrite.

I said that I was done with sports bikes and bought an Adventure.

Don’t get me wrong, the Africa Twin was an amazing bike but I think I jumped too soon as there is a good few years of sports bikes left in me.

For the first time in a while I properly checked out the other options and test rode the current S1000RR, R1 and GSXR and they’re all great bikes imo but it came down to the R1 and the SP1 and the Blade just ticked all the boxes.

Ballymena Honda gave me a remarkably good trade in deal with the AT too so it all worked out really well.

I managed to get the monotonous 100 mile run in under 5000 RPM completed before the rain today so I’m looking forward to being able to open it up a wee bit more when it dries up again.

The build quality is phenomenal and it feels like a 600.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Moth to a flame with the big Hondas ;)(y)

I need help. This’ll be my 5th Blade in a decade!

Lovely big machine! What pulled you to it over the R1?

Cheers man. The R1 is a great bike and to be honest there’s not a lot to choose between them. The pinion gear failure issue spooked me a bit and I preferred the geometry of the SP. It came down to the little things.
I was actually really disappointed with the build quality of the current S1000RR.
It would be my choice of track bike mind you (if funds weren’t an object!).

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Beautiful bike, health to ride!

100mile run in is a bonus also, nice and short (y)

Cheers! Yeah the first 100 miles is supposedly the critical period but I will be taking it very handy up until the first service (600 miles).

Robbo777

RMS Regular
Drives
All Sorts
Lovely bike, the standard exhaust actually sounds really well on them up the rev’s.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Looks fantastic Conor, I presume it won't be long before the extras are thrown at it.

Cheers Gary!
The SP has the Brembo and Öhlins goodies factory fitted so there’s not much I’d change to be honest.

As you can see I’ve removed the shovel that is the standard number plate bracket and fitted a tail tidy. I’ve fitted a radiator guard, tank pad and swingarm bobbins.
Don’t think I’ll do much else.
Maybe non-drill crash protectors.

The screen is comically small especially for me to tuck my big head behind but the test bike I was on had a double bubble and it surprisingly felt more turbulent so I might leave the standard screen on.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
That is very true, they are very well specced. Are you planning to change the exhaust?

It sounds good and doesn’t look that bad (unlike the microwave that comes on the GSXR) so it’ll be staying for the foreseeable Gary.

The Akrapovic GP can looks great mind you:
FA69B546-D8E3-4902-AD06-8BA2E20723AC.jpeg

SP.png

Last edited:

Thunderace

RMS Regular
Drives
z1000sx
View attachment 204650
I’m a complete hypocrite.

I said that I was done with sports bikes and bought an Adventure.

Don’t get me wrong, the Africa Twin was an amazing bike but I think I jumped too soon as there is a good few years of sports bikes left in me.

For the first time in a while I properly checked out the other options and test rode the current S1000RR, R1 and GSXR and they’re all great bikes imo but it came down to the R1 and the SP1 and the Blade just ticked all the boxes.

Ballymena Honda gave me a remarkably good trade in deal with the AT too so it all worked out really well.

I managed to get the monotonous 100 mile run in under 5000 RPM completed before the rain today so I’m looking forward to being able to open it up a wee bit more when it dries up again.

The build quality is phenomenal and it feels like a 600.
Nice bike. Enjoy

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.