Also, cannot stand that schmee

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
FB_IMG_1547545104051.jpg

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
I am a total Supra lover having had one for yrs but surely unless the new z4 is horrible looking why would you choose the Supra?

I just couldn’t get past a full BMW interior with Toyota badge on the steering wheel.

dufunk

RMS Regular
Def not a made to rival NSX you had the LFA and GTR for that but NSX was very late to the party on that one. LC500 is the new supra in my eyes or even the RCF as I see a track focus one is coming out that's on a real diet. Still its good to see this GR brand shows Toyota are getting serious about fun again you had the Yaris GRMN this and their is another 3 on the cards.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes
It's starting to grow on me for sure. Yes all the people on the internet want a 3JZ but since when was a BMW twin turbo straight 6 a bad thing? I think a lot of the hate the car is getting is from people that are remembering 600bhp+ modified examples of the mk4 when in reality a standard mk4 supra was a lot more tame than the ones we see beating lambos on youtube. Pictures don't always do a car justice, im sure when we eventually see one pass us on the road it'll look a lot more special, even those white and grey ones posted above look a lot better than the red we have been seeing the car in for a while. I look forward to the tuners getting their hands on it just like the did with the old car and seeing what a beast it becomes

therock

RMS Regular
I think half the problem is, aside from the looks and copy cat from BMW, is the power figure is pathetic. Sure it can be tuned, etc. But this is meant to be Toyota's flagship model. There are quicker hatchbacks out of the box.

FFS the 1993 base model had a similar power figure - 26 years ago

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I seem to be in the minority but I think it looks great - it looks a fair bit more compact than the Mk4 Supra. I think the most disappointing thing is the lack of difference on the inside between it and the new Z4; it's not very Japanese in that respect. I suppose that from Toyota's perspective, they might as well have the better quality of a BMW. This is only the first iteration of the model, I read today that 4 cyl models will be available in Japan, then there will undoubtedly be a GRM/TRD version etc etc.

Reactions: Ben

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Isnt the gold one a mk4 with GTR headlights or something? There was thread or video of it recently on facebook about the transformation>?

Isn't it the original supra that went bombing down the roads in England in the dead of night?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
The BMW B58 engine in the supra will hit some decent numbers from a simple tune and exhaust....

Reactions: Ben

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
The BMW B58 engine in the supra will hit some decent numbers from a simple tune and exhaust....

Was at RS tuning earlier this year and there was a 140i on the dyno with a decat and tuning box and it made over 440bhp. I don’t think Paul at RS tuning was capable of tuning them back then due to software issues but he can now.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I like the line of the side windows. It's a bit 2000GT inspired.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
It's starting to grow on me for sure. Yes all the people on the internet want a 3JZ but since when was a BMW twin turbo straight 6 a bad thing? I think a lot of the hate the car is getting is from people that are remembering 600bhp+ modified examples of the mk4 when in reality a standard mk4 supra was a lot more tame than the ones we see beating lambos on youtube. Pictures don't always do a car justice, im sure when we eventually see one pass us on the road it'll look a lot more special, even those white and grey ones posted above look a lot better than the red we have been seeing the car in for a while. I look forward to the tuners getting their hands on it just like the did with the old car and seeing what a beast it becomes

When the original Supra was released it was in response to the NSX and Skyline GTR, all around the same power levels.

The MK4 Supra even gave the Porsche 911 Turbo and Aston Martin DB7 competition at the time.

I'm amazed that it's taken Toyota 20 years to add 20bhp.

I'm sure it's a great car to drive, but feel the power levels and how they've pitched it would be more akin to a different brand within the Toyota fold...not their flagship.

Definitely looks better in white that the red!