2019 Supra

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
It's starting to grow on me for sure. Yes all the people on the internet want a 3JZ but since when was a BMW twin turbo straight 6 a bad thing? I think a lot of the hate the car is getting is from people that are remembering 600bhp+ modified examples of the mk4 when in reality a standard mk4 supra was a lot more tame than the ones we see beating lambos on youtube. Pictures don't always do a car justice, im sure when we eventually see one pass us on the road it'll look a lot more special, even those white and grey ones posted above look a lot better than the red we have been seeing the car in for a while. I look forward to the tuners getting their hands on it just like the did with the old car and seeing what a beast it becomes

When the original was released it was firmly in Ferrari/911 speed territory, like the GTR and NSX.

The looks may be contentious (though I’ll admit the looks are already growing on me, having seen that lowered example) but otherwise I think the biggest issue is people’s expectation of what a new Supra should be. There’s an understandable expectation that like its predecessor, it would be baiting supercars - and just like in the 90s, on a par with its current Nissan and Honda counterparts, the GTR and NSX. And in this day and age, that would be something in the 500bhp region and possibly hybrid. Imagine Nissan announced the upcoming R36 GTR was going to be a 350bhp small two seater?

This car is nothing like that. It’s a sports car, and in a price and power category that means the type of people who might look at buying this are likely also considering Caymans, M2s, a Lotus of some kind, maybe even an optioned up Z4 which this car is based on. Add in the fact that it’s sharing so many components with the Z4 and that further detracts from any unique character it might have.

I’ve no doubt it will probably drive fantastically and be very tuneable, but out of the box? I wish the Supra brand had been reserved for something very special.

hippyross

RMS Regular
Pedobear 15012019120143.jpg

Vw Nut001

RMS Regular
Drives
biTDI C7 A6
upload_2019-1-15_13-19-18.png

I think from the door back its quite nice. I can't help but think it is just a re-bodied de-tuned m2

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I really like it. I'll probably never be able to afford, but I do like it.

Sonny

RMS Photographer
The BMW B58 engine in the supra will hit some decent numbers from a simple tune and exhaust....

The engine in mine is the 4pot version and a remap alone bumps to almost 300bhp.

Suddenly the mkiv looks very dated.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
My initial thoughts are that I don't like the looks. Straight 6 should sound fantastic though.

If they're ever in price range, hell I may even buy one....pull the engine out and stick it in a GT86.

warren

RMS Photographer
I really like it too. The interior is lifted straight out of the z4 but I think it looks awesome too.

I think it's too expensive but it's certainly cool.

warren

RMS Photographer
Yeah.... It's strange to complain that a car is based on a nice well sorted sports car.

RCT

RMS Regular
Yeah.... It's strange to complain that a car is based on a nice well sorted sports car.

Sure a few Lancia’s were based on some Ferrari’s and not much was said about that. Was one of the latest modern ones not based on a F430 or similar and then a totally bonkers price tag on it.

Loads of modern cars based on same things underneath, so it’s hardly a surprise to see it happening here again. Costs of things are so extreme now hence the joint partnerships have become more and more common.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
If definately looks nice ...but it’s not like what I imagined a Supra to be ....
Supras to me always looked bigger - as in longer and more muscular - and I love the big spoiler on the mk4

Gavlar

RMS Regular
The same reviewers on the internet will no doubt forget about any Toyota involvement in development when the Z4 is launched. No doubt it'll be hailed as 'revolutionary' or something similarly ridiculous

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
If I wanted a Z4 I'd buy a Z4, not that.

In it's own right it might have been a good car but it's the name Supra I think is bothering people most as it has tarnished the name.

Also, if you buy a jap car it's because you want a jap car, not a BMW. Not knocking BMW, in fact I'd rather have the Z4 or for the money an M4.

I'm not on my period, MK4 Supra is my favourite car of all time and I'm a bit angry lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I’m happy enough personally about the bmw thing it’s the fact it’s too tall, too narrow and too short none of which can be fixed really.

I’d actually thought about putting a deposit down for one when I was doing Fast as I thought by the renders etc it was going to be a proper Jap supercar but seriously, it’s basiclally an upmarket GT86 which itself is a great car and not masquerading to be something else.

Even in Khyzyl’s renders yes it looks better but still meh imo

Anyway, I’m sure some will love it but it seems the era of the Supra, 300zx & GTO is well and truest dead.

At least Honda actually achieved it with the NSX

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I’m happy enough personally about the bmw thing it’s the fact it’s too tall, too narrow and too short none of which can be fixed really.

I’d actually thought about putting a deposit down for one when I was doing Fast as I thought by the renders etc it was going to be a proper Jap supercar but seriously, it’s basiclally an upmarket GT86 which itself is a great car and not masquerading to be something else.

Even in Khyzyl’s renders yes it looks better but still meh imo

Anyway, I’m sure some will love it but it seems the era of the Supra, 300zx & GTO is well and truest dead.

At least Honda actually achieved it with the NSX
NSX is £150,000 though!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
NSX is £150,000 though!
True but at least its nice lol

If the 'Supra' was 70/80 and all it was meant to be we'd all want one, the renders got so diluted by the accounts team it seems

Last edited:

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
it’s basiclally an upmarket GT86 which itself is a great car and not masquerading to be something else.

That's what I first thought on seeing it plus specs.
It's a GT86 on steroids and in keeping with the same philosophy.

Whether it deserves the supra name is a different story but I don't think on the other hand a modern day supra was ever going to be a car that contented a modern day nsx or gtr.

The LC500 sits at the 70/80 mark and you'd think something could have been done with that platform but then again it's a bit of a heavy brute all be it a great looking one.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The back quarters definitely look very like a supra. I only see the interiors as a good thing. It's the one reason I have never kept any Japanese car I've bought for any length of time. No one car put a car together like the germans

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Had to laugh at this...
FB_IMG_1547583393786.jpg

But I actually quite like it. Despite what people are saying about the difference in the production model vs the initial concept I think they have stayed fairly true to the design. Its amazing how small things like the slightly higher ride height and big clumpy mirrors really take so much away from it overall. Where it actually fails for me is the expectation of what today's Supra should look like, the mk4 is one of my dream cars, however, this is a lot smaller and at least 150bhp shy. Interestingly it does seem very sensitive to colour, the white looks OK (normally a colour I'd never choose), the red not so much (one I normally would), and love this satin grey...

Toyota_Supra_Grey_Studio_002.jpg

With a set of coilovers and a remap I'd happily drive one.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
As said, it looks like a souped up GT86 and probably by the looks of it should have kept that name and been like a GT86 Turbo??

Disappointed Toyota