2019 Supra

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Would anybody buy a ~£100K Toyota though if it was a car that was made to compete with its historic rivals?

It's current format is closer to old Supra DNA than if it had went to a 4WD hybrid, electronic tricked out semi supercar.

Reactions: Ben

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Knowing nothing about Jap cars, is the 2JZ not an ancient engine?

It's a 90's engine but it's one of the most over manufactured factory engines of all time.

The engine itself can handle upwards of 700bhp without upgrading the internals, with forged pistons, rods etc it can handle well over 1000bhp.

Here's a cool little video that explains why it's so good -

dufunk

RMS Regular
Toyota and Honda were only engineering this stuff from mid 80s and 90's only now are others catching up and able to modify to decent numbers on standard internals but I hear the likes of the Golf R and new M3/M5 are forged from factory.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I am going to go against the grain here.

I like it, fair enough it doesn't compete with its historic rivals but its price also reflects that, you will see more of these than any NSX's or GTRs.

And as said earlier on the issue seems to be this comparison.

A modified MK4 Supra vs a standard MK5.

I reckon once the bodykits start to arrive and the engine upgrades come the opinion will change.

Then the added benefit that the BMW engine will have the Japanese tuners at it as well will give more tuning options for BMW's running the engine as well.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Would anybody buy a ~£100K Toyota though if it was a car that was made to compete with its historic rivals?

It's current format is closer to old Supra DNA than if it had went to a 4WD hybrid, electronic tricked out semi supercar.

Was that not the problem with the nsx? It was a fantastic car but was still a massive amount for a Honda.

That bmw engine is fantastic and as said before is tuneable. Purists are annoyed because it doesn’t have an improved 2jz, but try getting a 2jz through current emissions test for new cars. It’s the same reason bmw have had to go turbo aswell

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
As said above, the Supra at least did keep the same formula. Long nose, short butt, 6 cylinder inline turbo and rwd.

Back in the day of the rx7, Supra, R34, and so on there was so much more innovation and experimentation. Sadly with cars being so complex these days, we will never see such variety again. Hence platform sharing and so on.

For me the NSX was different from all the other Jap performance cars.

Back in the day, the NSX was squarely aimed at the Ferrari 348 and had the and same formula.

Mid engine, rear wheel drive, manual gearbox.

Aiming to be a better driving machine whilst being usable everyday reliably.

I don't think the new one is aimed at anything anymore. The old NSX was out to prove that the unreliable quirky nature of supercars was not a requirement and that it could be done better.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Purists are annoyed because it doesn’t have an improved 2jz, but try getting a 2jz through current emissions test for new cars. It’s the same reason bmw have had to go turbo aswell

Purists are annoyed because it IS a BMW.

Doesnt matter what way they dress it up, it is still a BMW.

BMW Chassis, BMW engine, BMW Drivetrain etc.

None of things are necessarily bad, but they are also not Toyota.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I think that this will only be the start of the Supra lineage for the Mk5. Of course it helps to platform share, every manufacturer is doing it and this way, they can ride off the back of the Supra brand for a couple of years with the new model and then there will be a special editions - whether that be GR / TRD or just more power as standard.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
It’s not just the power figures though, it’s supposed to be Toyotas version of a supercar, it should be longer, wider, sleeker, lower you know just like the prototype!
Instead we’ve got a more powerful GT86 which I actually think is nicer in many ways

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
It’s not just the power figures though, it’s supposed to be Toyotas version of a supercar, it should be longer, wider, sleeker, lower you know just like the prototype!
Instead we’ve got a more powerful GT86 which I actually think is nicer in many ways

This. As I've said previously, they really should have marketed this as a new Celica if anything - and keep the Supra name for something more special. Even if not crazy money or in the supercar leagues, on a par with the likes of the new TVR.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
How long before we see a tuning company selling a 2jz and manual box conversion kit for them :joy:

warren

RMS Photographer
I feel they probably should have just given it a new name. No one really has much to complain about other than it doesn't have the nostalgia that the supra name carries.

In isolation they have built a good looking, very capable and well put together sports car.

dufunk

RMS Regular
Toyota went threw that engine with a fine tooth comb to see its tuning capabilities and reliability seems to be one of bmw's best ever engines. Was also good to hear that once deal was made Toyota where left alone to do whatever they wanted so Z4 wont be identical.

Last edited:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

Enjoyed that particular writeup, eloquent and full of useful info.

So all in all, the Supra is a really great car if you look at it in isolation - but if you have any knowledge or love of the Toyota/Supra history and look for character and quirks, it's strangely lacking and quite different underneath the surface to the image it's projecting.

Probably a bit like finding out your incredibly hot new girlfriend was once called Steve.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Toyota went threw that engine with a fine tooth comb to see its tuning capabilities and reliability seems to be one of bmw's best ever engines. Was also good to hear that once deal was made Toyota where left alone to do whatever they wanted so Z4 wont be identical.
Yet they ended up with a car that looks substantially similar inside and out, and didn't even eek out 1 more bhp!