Road Safety as witnessed by a Back-Seat Driver - Part 4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this -

Welcome to the penultimate of our road safety articles, aimed at highlighting issues seen daily on our roads in the hope that you, the reader, take on-board the info and act upon it to make our roads a safer place.

Carelessness is a daily occurrence on the roads, be it phone and sat-nav usage, tachograph offences, construction and use offences, speed, tailgating, reading dispatch notes / work related paperwork, doing make-up, changing clothes, looking through bags in passenger foot-well, eating and drinking, texting and social media, streaming music and playlists, arguing with passengers and conversely being amorous!
Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
But how many prosecutions were given for the above on that day...vs speeding tickets on other days ?

A little like the other day on the Moira/Glenavy road. Big stickered up Discovery sitting parked on a side road near the Moira end at the overtaking lane up the hill, with the cops trying to name people overtaking, clear and sunny at that end. Hardly a huge accident blackspot.
Get towards Nutts Corner, heavy fog, and many morons driving with no lights on. Really...they need to check their priorities.

And it is irrelevant what the distraction was...if someone fails to use their bloody eyes when driving, it should all fall under the same banner of dangerous driving, this obsession with only phones as some sort of cause is crazy.

And clearly the upside down car....the cause of the crash was green wheels....again someone who needs their eyes tested !

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
But how many prosecutions were given for the above on that day...vs speeding tickets on other days ?

A little like the other day on the Moira/Glenavy road. Big stickered up Discovery sitting parked on a side road near the Moira end at the overtaking lane up the hill, with the cops trying to name people overtaking, clear and sunny at that end. Hardly a huge accident blackspot.
Get towards Nutts Corner, heavy fog, and many morons driving with no lights on. Really...they need to check their priorities.

And it is irrelevant what the distraction was...if someone fails to use their bloody eyes when driving, it should all fall under the same banner of dangerous driving, this obsession with only phones as some sort of cause is crazy.

And clearly the upside down car....the cause of the crash was green wheels....again someone who needs their eyes tested !

1. I was only out for on day so wouldn't have that information - its not all about prosecutions though, education is equally as important
2. Those area's fall under different PSNI traffic crews so not comparable as the disco you saw will never be in the nutts area for routine daily work and there are maybe only 2-3 cars on shift at any time, the traffic crews are stretched beyond belief
3. it does say that there are many things that fall under it and for ref of in here - reading dispatch notes, phone, eating yer lunch, drinking, fixing yer make up, doing yer hair etc all can be classed as and prosecuted for dangerous if your caught. One major issue is, you can drive down the road, see someones head buried and you know fine well they are using a phone, but getting hard evidence of that to submit in court is the hard part.
4. no comment lol - have since heard locally that this car is well known for driving like a complete wab around that area so it was no surprise how it ended if what i was told is the case

I do feel a lot of the laws that are set for the guys on the shop floor to enforce are flawed in so many ways - especially when it comes to EU drivers in EU big rigs - some of whom had to be educated the day i was out, where as if they were UK license in a UK rig they would have been handed fixed penalty instantly!

I always was quite hard on the work that the police do, and still would be towards community beat officers as my experience of local station policing is far from acceptable, but i have a lot more respect for traffic after this day out but they would need about 50 more cars, 10 more stations and 200 more officers to be able to have any major impact on our roads sadly

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

I've never seen them on that road :eek:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've never seen them on that road :eek:

Certainly not the first time I've seen them there ( both pics same day )
vlcsnap-00016.jpg

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00015.jpg
    vlcsnap-00015.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.