Wonka's Octavia VRS

• Thread starter Deleted member 13907
  • Start date

Deleted member 13907

D
With the pending arrival of another Wonka junior and the Leon due a change, it was time to take the step up to an Octavia VRS estate. I was always a fan of these cars and while I did explore various options (SUVs, etc.) I always kept coming back to these.

I had been looking on the various classifieds sites for some time and this particular one caught my eye a couple of months ago. It had all the spec I was looking for - under 30k miles, black pack, full leather with heated seats, Sat-Nav and flat-bottom steering wheel. To be honest, the reason it caught my eye was that it was basically the only one in the UK that had the exact spec I wanted. Unfortunately, after I enquired about it a few weeks ago, I was told it was sold.

I pushed on with selling my own car and when I felt I had a proper interested buyer, I checked over all the classifieds again and this one came up. I wasn't even going to bother enquiring about it, as I thought they were just using it to get enquiries, so they could steer potential buyers towards other cars they had in stock. But with nothing to lose, I made the enquiry anyway and was told the previous sale had fallen through (probably down to finance). The car was in England and I was also in England with work (although several hours away) but with snow, etc. I wasn't able to get up to see it, so as soon as I got the Leon sold I was on the blower to put a holding deposit down (after researching the car's history of course).

Anyway, I went across on Friday to pick it up from Derby and drove back through North Wales, before getting the boat to Dublin and up the motorway. The car has really impressed me. Unfortunately it wasn't presented to the standard I had expected (wee nooks and crannies in the interior hadn't been cleaned properly, silicone spray had been applied but not wiped off, etc) which did disappoint me, but at the same time I enjoy cleaning cars, so it just gives me a good excuse to give it a proper clean at the weekend.

A few dealer pictures for now:

IMG_E4332.JPG
IMG_E4333.JPG
IMG_E4335.JPG
IMG_E4336.JPG
IMG_E4338.JPG
IMG_E4339.JPG
IMG_E4343.JPG
IMG_E4345.JPG

The wheels look a bit silvery in the photo, but they're actually quite a dark anthracite colour. They were the one thing putting me off if I'm honest, as I thought I would need to get them painted black, but I'm really happy with the colour in the flesh. Wheels all look to have been recently refurbised and the tyres are pretty much new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on all corners - I've been really impressed with the grip.

The car drives like a dream. Driving to Holyhead (mostly motorway, although a few stretches were down to 50 and I'd been warned about a lot of traffic cops on the North Wales Expressway) I just sat in Eco mode most of the time and was getting mid-50s mpg - it performs really well as a big comfy cruiser. But then on the way to work this morning, I enjoyed a bit of a blip and it just impresses so much. It's a big car, but it's surprisingly nimble. It's obviously not going to win a race along a twisty B-road, but at the same time it handles much better than I expected.

I have my new plates ready to fit as soon as I get the V5 through. Other plans are a good clean obviously, spray the hubs black (they're quite tatty looking) a good set of mats for the inside, then hopefully some more fun goodies.

A quick snap taken at the services in North Wales too - wheels look a bit better in this one:

IMG_E4376.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
I swear I saw this yesterday, looks brand new.
Was only around Portadown/Tandragee area yesterday.
To be fair, they did a fair job on the outside of it - hardly a mark on it.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Was only around Portadown/Tandragee area yesterday.
To be fair, they did a fair job on the outside of it - hardly a mark on it.

Or maybe Saturday (bad memory!) ? I remember seeing it and thinking it was new then saw the 64 plate. Anyway health to drive, looks fab.

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Well and truly used the car as it was made to be used, with a wee family day out today. Started with a trip to Peter Pans in Portadown, then went to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, which of course was closed because it’s a bank holiday??? Undeterred, we had our ‘picnic’ in the car and then went to ikea, before spending the afternoon in W5 (even got in for free, as some kind lady gave us her tickets as she was leaving - they allow re-entry so people can go for lunch, etc).
All the wee storage compartments were great and the space in the boot was just superb.

38C0806A-1358-4C4B-80D4-6347B87096B7.jpeg
9D913655-F6B3-45EA-9B7A-EAFF8477DBDB.jpeg
6673E3CE-4ADF-4312-9E13-F756F6E498A0.jpeg

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Looks great and they have a fantastic spec. I always look at the VRS and think they come really far since people joked about them but they are basically a VW.

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Looks great and they have a fantastic spec. I always look at the VRS and think they come really far since people joked about them but they are basically a VW.
Yeah, my mate was up on Sunday and his wife has a 2017 Golf GTD. Fair enough her's is a few years younger than mine, but he was surprised how similar the two are.

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Seen this on Saturday. Lovely motor. Photos don't too it justice. Health to drive.
Thanks Colin. It was boggin on Saturday too - got a bath when I got back.
Had the mpg down to 35 hooning round those roads :cool:

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
I appreciated it lol! It's putting me in a notion for an estate again.
3 bikes on the roof and another few in the back - what's not to like lol

EDIT: Will got a wee VCI magnetic logo for it and it can be team car for the Newry 3 Day

Deleted member 13907

OP
D
Small update...
Personalised plates and surrounds added.
Really like the pressed plates. Not convinced on the surrounds, but they were the only ones I could find with the current VRS logo - all other ones had the older logo. Didn’t want to drill the pressed plates, but may revert to just plain surrounds.

2AEFFB77-1CE4-4E6C-B14D-EB62BDED9D12.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: