Latest Audi R8 on Test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Tremendous.

2 things I don’t like are the silver wheels and Audi/VW skinny steering wheels. It’s the same in the Golf, no where near chunky enough.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
You had it tough that day G. Stunning cars these and great to see some owners on RMS too.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
Without doubt the best car I have ever owned. Blows the GTR well and truely out of the water. Shame they had the 19 silver wheels. They don’t suit the car at all.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Without doubt the best car I have ever owned. Blows the GTR well and truely out of the water. Shame they had the 19 silver wheels. They don’t suit the car at all.
In performance terms ,would the gtr not be as quick as the r8 .two totally different cars I appreciate that but having never been in either I can on imagine what there each like .

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
In performance terms ,would the gtr not be as quick as the r8 .two totally different cars I appreciate that but having never been in either I can on imagine what there each like .
I'd have a GTR any day of the week, so much more fun in my experience and it's got that all important thing... BOOST !

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I'd have a GTR any day of the week, so much more fun in my experience and it's got that all important thing... BOOST !
BUT what if you have loads of cash and went the supercharged route with one of these or a t turbo set up .now that’s different altogether lol.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
BUT what if you have loads of cash and went the supercharged route with one of these or a t turbo set up .now that’s different altogether lol.
I'd still have the GTR tbh - as amazing as the R8 is, and a vast improvement over the previous model, i'm still not a supercar fan

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
@Graham you would still chose a GTR.....wise up!!!! GTR is one car Ive never got on with. I just find them overated, unrefined, mechanically clunk clunk waiting for something to break :worried:

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
@Graham you would still chose a GTR.....wise up!!!! GTR is one car Ive never got on with. I just find them overated, unrefined, mechanically clunk clunk waiting for something to break :worried:

They are a fast car but I totally agree with you. I also feel the same way about the new M3.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
Totally agree with you on M3 also until you drive a Full Spec Competition car with Carbon Brakes etc....as I explained to @chris_b its like day and night!! Next thing he rolls out with one lol Its the next best thing Ive driven lately to a GT3

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I would, 100%, I love it's flaws, the Audi is so perfect, it would get boring, any time I drive a GTR it puts hairs in the chest lol

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
It's a difficult debate as everyone has their own opinions. I owned the GTR for ~12 months -- seems much more fitting to gauge an opinion than driving it for 2-3 days from a review/press point of view. You can get a lot of points about a car in the first few hours of driving it so that's not a slight on you @Graham just on the off chance it's coming across that way.

I hated the pre 2017 GTR with a passion. The interior was ****. It was a very un-engaging car to drive. It was literally a Playstation car. Point, click, done. The 2017 GTR I had I drive mostly in 'R' mode and it was a huge increase in fun that you could have with that car. The fact it slid at all when I started driving it was impressive. I even actually spun it out once, which I thought was impossible :p anyway... it's not a terrible driving thing it's just nothing compared to the R8 for the driving capability. The R8 is much more planted, it rolls less in fast cornering, it sounds better, it handles better, it has no oversteer like the GTR, the interior is 100x nicer place to be, the styling is better, the engine is in the right place, it's N/A, it's a long list and obviously a lot of it is opinionated but I am basing it on ownership of the car.

The GTR slams the R8 all day long for space though - it has a boot which is very helpful :grinning: The GTR fans love their car. I don't 'hate' it -- I just wouldn't own one currently. They're serious bang for buck though. They're not quite as quick as the R8 (IMHO from driving both) maybe the initial acceleration their close but the R8 into the mid-ranges and above is a different class.

@Graham one question though...... as a driving/automotive journlist surely you'd rather be in a purist NA car and not a turbo (Twin at that) car? That struck me as weird for you ;)

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
It's a difficult debate as everyone has their own opinions. I owned the GTR for ~12 months -- seems much more fitting to gauge an opinion than driving it for 2-3 days from a review/press point of view. You can get a lot of points about a car in the first few hours of driving it so that's not a slight on you @Graham just on the off chance it's coming across that way.

I hated the pre 2017 GTR with a passion. The interior was ****. It was a very un-engaging car to drive. It was literally a Playstation car. Point, click, done. The 2017 GTR I had I drive mostly in 'R' mode and it was a huge increase in fun that you could have with that car. The fact it slid at all when I started driving it was impressive. I even actually spun it out once, which I thought was impossible :p anyway... it's not a terrible driving thing it's just nothing compared to the R8 for the driving capability. The R8 is much more planted, it rolls less in fast cornering, it sounds better, it handles better, it has no oversteer like the GTR, the interior is 100x nicer place to be, the styling is better, the engine is in the right place, it's N/A, it's a long list and obviously a lot of it is opinionated but I am basing it on ownership of the car.

The GTR slams the R8 all day long for space though - it has a boot which is very helpful :grinning: The GTR fans love their car. I don't 'hate' it -- I just wouldn't own one currently. They're serious bang for buck though. They're not quite as quick as the R8 (IMHO from driving both) maybe the initial acceleration their close but the R8 into the mid-ranges and above is a different class.

@Graham one question though...... as a driving/automotive journlist surely you'd rather be in a purist NA car and not a turbo (Twin at that) car? That struck me as weird for you ;)
I'm not a fan of NA at all, it's always been about the boost for me personally, especially when myself and a pal done a DIY turbo conversion on his SRi nova track car, such an easy and enjoyable way to get massive figures and ignorance when driving.

I guess being brought up around rallying rather than the race track, like most in my job would have been, means I come with a different upbringing and perspective on things.

I do not conform at all and have spent more time in both cars than just a press review, the R8 is three times the car, there is no question about how good it is, but for me I prefer the Jap Scrap, maybe its cause I like flaws and imperfections, but then, what is perfection...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sometimes perfection can be boring :grinning:

Lovely looking car and a nice review.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Sometimes perfection can be boring :grinning:

Lovely looking car and a nice review.
Agree fully, and thanks...

Another thing for me, is that I can walk into Nissan wearing shorts and a t-shirt, with my two arms and leg tattoo sleeves and get treated like a human.

Walk into Audi like that and well, it's very different, so pretentious it's laughable...

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Agree fully, and thanks...

Another thing for me, is that I can walk into Nissan wearing shorts and a t-shirt, with my two arms and leg tattoo sleeves and get treated like a human.

Walk into Audi like that and well, it's very different, so pretentious it's laughable...

They might need to rethink their ideas.... last time I was in Porsche some lad with a face tattoo, ripped jeans and a T was speccing up his new 911.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
They might need to rethink their ideas.... last time I was in Porsche some lad with a face tattoo, ripped jeans and a T was speccing up his new 911.
Porsche is as bad, they recently threw a good friend of mine, and a good customer of theirs, out of the building...

And said friend doesn't drive a £5k boxster either lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.