Ford Fiesta ST secret salt mine advert - is this deepest Carrick?

Cess

RMS Staff
See the blog feature on this - Ford unveiled a sensational new advert for the Fiesta ST this week, featuring World Rally Championship driver Elfyn Evans piloting the car at speed, 400m below ground in a salt mine. Ford remains tight-lipped about the mysterious location, but it looks to us that the film was shot in Belfast and deep underground Carrickfergus. Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Certainly looks like the salt mine although most look the same from what I've worked in them. Imagine the noise :grinning:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I was told because the salt mines have little to no moisture corrosion doesn’t take place & that there’s an old Land Rover down there that’s immaculate ^o)
Yep. When they sell/upgrade equipment it's buried in salt for shipment, a colleagues dad used to rig the explosives in it

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I was told because the salt mines have little to no moisture corrosion doesn’t take place & that there’s an old Land Rover down there that’s immaculate ^o)

Just about to say that. It's taking them back and forth to the surface that knackers them quickly. Never encountered the ones that are based purely underground, but the one I rode in wasn't very old and I wouldn't like to be poking too hard with a screwdriver!
Never felt pure darkness like it standing at one of the working faces.
Epic place.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Just about to say that. It's taking them back and forth to the surface that knackers them quickly. Never encountered the ones that are based purely underground, but the one I rode in wasn't very old and I wouldn't like to be poking too hard with a screwdriver!
Never felt pure darkness like it standing at one of the working faces.
Epic place.

I’ve welded anodes underswater to protect their pier but that’s as close as I got to their mine(s).

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
I think it's Belfast/Carrick alright, the bit at the end looks like the new buildings beside the M3 bridge

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Was talking to the guy that maintains the Land Rovers, think that used to be the case when they stayed in the mines, but they come up to ground at the end of each shift now and arent lasting at all.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
They have archive document stores down there. the paper stays dry.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Class! I wonder what brought them to think of going underground and even the salt mine in general?

Plus FWD. 360 J turn? How lol?!

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Almost certainly filmed here the silver S-max or c-max what ever it is at the start of the video has a NI number plate

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Class! I wonder what brought them to think of going underground and even the salt mine in general?

Plus FWD. 360 J turn? How lol?!

Why not? Can't see how you would do that exact kind of turn in anything other than a FWD.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It was more the fact that its extremely impressive to be able to get it to do that full spin in one spot is what i meant. Didnt quite think it was as easy/possible as they made it look but thats why he's the level he is i suppose.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
I’ve been told on good authority that the car had to be scrapped for “legal reasons”!

Make of that what you will, but let’s face it, Ford’s aren’t known for their resistance to tin worm and this bit of spirited driving down a salt mine certainly wouldn’t be good for it!

stuartybap

RMS Regular
Drives
OOskylineOO
81A6EB0C-2383-4237-9AB5-7213857BF779.jpeg
6B59B8A1-E059-4AEE-B921-2877F57968E6.jpeg
228A5AB3-9097-48E7-9CF1-A84384DDA480.jpeg

Attachments

• DBA14A8C-953D-4124-9D70-BC7B52D52B32.jpeg
    DBA14A8C-953D-4124-9D70-BC7B52D52B32.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 305
  • AA2ECFB4-74C9-426E-8F6B-983CD16EC451.jpeg
    AA2ECFB4-74C9-426E-8F6B-983CD16EC451.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 303

stuartybap

RMS Regular
Drives
OOskylineOO
I worked on the commercial from a lighting point of view. They had three cars in total, one rigged camera car, one externally rigged car, and a car with suspension for jumping etc. Cars were to be scrapped soon after. It was shot one day in the city centre and two days at the salt mines in carrick. The equipment they have assembled down there to stay down there including some landrovers that never see the light of day do not have a pick of corrosion on them. Some of the machines aren’t even painted. It’s a really cool place, 21 miles of underground darkness.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I’ve been told on good authority that the car had to be scrapped for “legal reasons”!

Make of that what you will, but let’s face it, Ford’s aren’t known for their resistance to tin worm and this bit of spirited driving down a salt mine certainly wouldn’t be good for it!

It will be because they are pre production prototypes that cannot be sold as not all of the parts used to build them have passed the approval process allowing them to be used for anything other than testing

Standard practice from all manufacturers and it’s the way most press cars and others end up (although some do get sold depending on the stage of the prototype build)

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
It's a very cool place, I was there quite a bit with my last job working on the conveyor equipment, it's unbelievable how dark it is when the lights go out. You could spend days in their parts department too

Last edited: