New VW Crafter on Test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Transit Custom is 36k. Absolutely ridiculous when you see filters after 10k never mind 3.5x that...

We have 3 in work, serviced every 10k so far, all towing heavy loads, and they have all had front pads at each service. These long service intervals look good to the bean counters but never work in practice.

As for the new Crafter all our guys would much prefer the old model/Sprinter so far.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
In my old job our transporters with the same engines were serviced every 10k regardless of VW stating 20k for them. For the sake of a few hundred quid a year extra it's well worth it.

Looks so much nicer inside than the old "Mercedes" Crafter we had, be great if these are as comfy to drive as the Transporters, nice flat bottom steering wheel for track days too

NedHan79

RMS Regular
Drives
clio dci
I bought 2 2.0 crafters in 2012. Had no end of grief. Had a lot of sprinters over the years and run 2 along side the crafters.
The warranty’s pathetic on the vw. Front shocks were a big problem. Mercedes gave you a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I had these changed a week before the warranty ran out with around 100k. Absolutely no problem.
Vw would only allow 6 months or 6k on these. Ridiculous.
These are the exact same part. I used to buy all the interchangeable parts like shocks, brakes etc from Mercedes for all the vans.
They had problems every other week.
The exhaust kept falling off 1 until the driver eventually wrecked it and the cat. Cost nearly 3 grand to sort and I had to stand underneath the van with the driver and argue to get it covered under warranty.

If your in the mayfor a big van and don’t buy a Mercedes, you’ll regret it.
Especially if you buy the vw

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.