Can all-new Corsa GSi reignite brands sporting past?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this - The Vauxhall Corsa, undoubtedly one of the most popular small cars on our roads since the mid-nineties, yet one that saw itself dissolve into the unexciting, just another run of the mill model that sold by the thousands.

Yes OK, there was the VXR in recent years,... Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

genman

G
nice write up but these new generation GSI cars just dont float my boat vs the original car concepts.
Just a watered down pointless PR attempt to keep the brand afloat amongst younger drivers...not that they have £19k to spend.. . £2k more than the VXR models cleared showrooms at.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
nice write up but these new generation GSI cars just dont float my boat vs the original car concepts.
Just a watered down pointless PR attempt to keep the brand afloat amongst younger drivers...not that they have £19k to spend.. . £2k more than the VXR models cleared showrooms at.
Thanks... The Insignia GSi is fantastic, the Corsa though, not priced competitively enough once basic spec is added...

genman

G
Thanks... The Insignia GSi is fantastic, the Corsa though, not priced competitively enough once basic spec is added...
interesting that you like the GSI insignia.. . everything BUT the lame engines works for me.....why oh why didnt they tweak a bit more out of them.. I'll be keeping the VXR a while longer whilst they attempt to churn out middle of the road cars

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
interesting that you like the GSI insignia.. . everything BUT the lame engines works for me.....why oh why didnt they tweak a bit more out of them.. I'll be keeping the VXR a while longer whilst they attempt to churn out middle of the road cars

I done the launch at Bruningthorpe in it, with F1 driver coach Rob Wilson instructing us on track and then the head of OPC, Valker talking us through the development and what makes it better, without the extreme of the GSi - it was good then, but since, i have had one for a week and as an everyday car, that is different and affordable compared to the usual German stuff of similar spec, it works for me, especially in estate guise

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

What is especially annoying is the Buick Regal in the USA the same shape as the new insignia gets the normally aspirated 3.6 V6 with just over 300hp for their flagship

But the truth is if they did that model here they will sell about 2 a year. We are stuck with 4 cylinder turbos in almost everything now :-(

At least the Insignia GSI is 270bhp for the petrol model?

genman

G
What is especially annoying is the Buick Regal in the USA the same shape as the new insignia gets the normally aspirated 3.6 V6 with just over 300hp for their flagship

But the truth is if they did that model here they will sell about 2 a year. We are stuck with 4 cylinder turbos in almost everything now :-(

At least the Insignia GSI is 270bhp for the petrol model?

but why can't it be 300+ like other manufacturers 4 pots..... there are 1.6T pushing close to 270 ( Peugeot RCZ-R )

Anyway, the wee GSi will suit some, just not at the list price they ask.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
but why can't it be 300+ like other manufacturers 4 pots..... there are 1.6T pushing close to 270 ( Peugeot RCZ-R )

Anyway, the wee GSi will suit some, just not at the list price they ask.

It might well have that 1.6 turbo in it come face-lift time!

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
If only they’d just build this and stick the 1.6t in it. I’d be ordering first thing in the morning.

57E65419-F360-4F5B-8643-B7D2C4C08FC8.jpeg

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
It looks like Vauxhall are ditching the VXR brand, at least for the time being. You can no longer buy any VXR new - all discontinued.

Last edited:

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I'll assume PSA, can't see them introducing their own old engine when PSA are now pulling the strings
Amazing how quickly they were able to put their motors in the range. I wonder can a remap get that 1.6 up to 270bhp safely then.

nathan46

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 420d
I previously worked for a Vauxhall dealership, the Corsa VXR never took off even though some of the contract hire deals were fantastic! I had one myself for just over a year and loved it. Cant help thinking that the GSI will flop as its underpowered and cant compete with similarly priced cars such as the Fiesta ST

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.