2.5 Boxster 986

KevM

RMS Regular
It’s been over a year now since I have had a weekend toy in the garage, so I started looking again a while back.
I had ticked the V8-smoker box with the E55 (I still miss it) and have been underwhelmed a few times with older cars I have had, so I wanted something i could jump into & enjoy driving after the week in a diesel auto.
Initially, I fancied another MX5, as they are fun & hassle-free, but they are getting scarce due to rot and lanes rallies!
I had always fancied a 996 Porsche, but that’s beyond my budget at the minute, so the 986 Boxster is probably the next best thing!

Reading @Cartunes post in an MX5 thread, made me nervous about owning one, but almost made me want one even more!! I spent a few weeks researching them and after reading that every squeak, rattle, uneven tyre wear & flat battery was a sign of a failing IMS (lol), I decided that I’d rather have slightly more peace-of-mind than slightly more power, so an early 2.5 it would be.

I then went and looked a few. In doing so, I learned the difference in ‘cheap’ and ‘good value’ and ended up buying a car advertised just a few miles from home.

On going to see the car, I spent more time chatting to the seller than looking round the car itself. I knew from talking to the guy that the car was for me. He was an ex-Motorsport mechanic & petrol-head and had had a turn of ill-health and wasn’t fit for the wee car any more. I think it was annoying him that he wasn’t able to take on the minor jobs that he knew needed doing. We agreed a deal and he seemed genuinely happy that of all the viewers he had, I was the person buying it!

So, I spent most of yesterday afternoon just enjoying driving the car for the sake of it. The Mrs took it for a run (she hasn’t driven manual in 4 years - Lol) and even my Ma has to get a go in it. Everyone gets out of the car with a big smile on their face, it’s just that type of car & that’s exactly what I wanted.

The car itself is a 1998 2.5 manual, with the more robust dual-row IMS. It came with all its original manuals and a full service history. It has had a few nice bits added along the way. The audio has been updated with Kenwood components running off an Alpine V12 (which I only found when trying to diagnose no sound through the speakers) and what seems to be a £700 Dansk Stainless back-box! The car will need rear tyres soon and probably 6 plug tubes, but mechanically, it’s running like a Swiss watch.

I will post better pics when the sun comes back out, but here is the Mrs & our daughter on their first run & a few images from the ad:

1E0819B6-3E78-4485-B91B-99725DAAE28F.jpeg
B2ECEA8D-2635-472E-8759-22093C079161.jpeg
22DAA72A-D4E4-4CD1-A4A5-30AA0F7367C4.jpeg

The great thing is, I have spent about 2 hours on the car and have sorted virtually all of the niggles already!

I will post better pics when the sun comes back out 😩🤞🏻

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I loved mine, don't get me wrong...... It's just that I much prefer simple driving over luxury. It cost a bomb on parts too compared to most other cars. Health to drive!

neil-c

RMS Regular
Looks good! They really are a car to bring a smile to your face. I just bought a 2003 2.7 guards red Boxster - similar situation to yourself in that i had decided it was the car for me after talking to the guy selling it. He was straight to the point, knew the full history of the car from new and had lots of great stories about travelling around Europe with his wife in it. He was genuinely sad to see it go but he hadnt put 1000 miles on it in 2 years after taking delivery of a new Boxster. Health to drive!

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Very nice HTD. I’ve always liked verts and now that I drive one daily I honestly wouldn’t want to be without one.

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
Very nice. These really are an absolute bargain at the minute.

I honestly can’t believe the condition of this one, considering my budget was quite limited! I’m well pleased with it.

Looks good! They really are a car to bring a smile to your face. I just bought a 2003 2.7 guards red Boxster - similar situation to yourself in that i had decided it was the car for me after talking to the guy selling it. He was straight to the point, knew the full history of the car from new and had lots of great stories about travelling around Europe with his wife in it. He was genuinely sad to see it go but he hadnt put 1000 miles on it in 2 years after taking delivery of a new Boxster. Health to drive!

You didn’t buy at 1pm last Saturday by any chance? If you did, you caused a proper hissy-fit in our house last weekend. I possibly missed that one by half an hour due to work commitments and was gutted 😆

neil-c

RMS Regular
You didn’t buy at 1pm last Saturday by any chance? If you did, you caused a proper hissy-fit in our house last weekend. I possibly missed that one by half an hour due to work commitments and was gutted 😆

No not guilty! lol. I bought it from a guy in Lisnaskea on 14th June. He only had it advertised on Autotrader and not Gumtree/Done Deal etc so I had a feeling it would be worth the drive out there and that he'd be old school. Made the right call 👍.

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
I loved mine, don't get me wrong...... It's just that I much prefer simple driving over luxury. It cost a bomb on parts too compared to most other cars. Health to drive!

Yes, I am slowly noticing the crazy prices for some bits. Others can be had for peanuts. I hope the wee 2.5 remains pretty hassle-free for me. I’m loving the handling and sound-track. Having less power makes me feel like a more accomplished driver too 😂

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Brilliant, perfect car for summer blasts. These are great value for money now!

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
I was interested in them but my days of 2 seaters are over. Ended up with a mk2 golf

I changed a 2 seater for a Mk2 Golf GTi, so that we had room for all the family.
My wife wouldn’t get into the Golf. Back to 2 seats again... 😂

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Lovely car and no matter how cheap still feel special! Health to enjoy it :grinning:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Love that, such a cool wee car. Looks so fresh!

Hope you’re keeping the amber lenses!

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
Love that, such a cool wee car. Looks so fresh!

Hope you’re keeping the amber lenses!

I had planned larger wheels, de-ambered lights, red calipers etc, but I’m keeping it as is.
It’s actually filthy in the pics, I have yet to wash it, it’s been out in the rain twice now, just for a spin!

Last edited:

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Great car so overlooked as a genuine fun run about, i would keep her standard maybe paint the calipers black with the white porsche decals, inside maybe red seat belts to break up the black a bit they can be done for 70 quid.

one of the things i missed going from a 986 to a 987 was the heater, the 986 was non climate and even on a cool day it was always toasty .
HTD