Mazda MX5 NB - Autotest / Lanes Rally Car!

GlennM

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
So I have had a serious notion to go back Autotesting and also venture into Lanes Rallying! So in lockdown, whilst scrolling through my Facebook... a Gumtree ad appeared mixed in amongst all the usual guff in my feed. There was this class looking wee MX5, so I clicked on the ad and boom, it was in Belfast! So I done a bit of enquiring, arranged a viewing, took it a test drive and was smitten!

Spec:
  • 1999 NB 1.6
  • Stainless Exhaust
  • Pipercross Induction Kit
  • Tein Springs
  • Ferodo DS2500 Pads
  • Clutch Masters Paddle Clutch
  • Hydraulic Handbrake with standalone Wilwood Rear Calipers
  • Kaaz Diff
  • Alloy Radiator
  • 2x Spall Fans with Digital Control Switch
  • TR Lane X style roll bar

Photos:

IMG_20200601_135005.jpg IMG_20200601_144702.jpg IMG_20200601_145253.jpg IMG_20200826_160131.jpg IMG_20200826_160149.jpg IMG_20200601_185917.jpg IMG_20200826_160057.jpg IMG_20200826_160104.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good spec other than the 1.6 bit lol, not that a 1.8 is that much more powerful.

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d
Here's the real question though.....is it ratten? :p

Only joking, health to slide my friend (y)
HAHA, well thankfully it was recently given a respray and all the RATTEN bits were treated! Thanks man!

Good spec other than the 1.6 bit lol, not that a 1.8 is that much more powerful.
Awh dont even go there, the 1.6 is gutless as I found out at my first autotest last night!!! I am looking to go down the route of 1.8vvt with ITB's!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've an NB 1.8, currently doing a refresh while there are no events during this C19 craic. The torsen diff is OK except on loose events where it just goes open so I'd love a Kazz diff at some point.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

Watched Kerney's video of the autotest, seemed super tight to get round, if anything the expert layout looks easier to have got speed up between the manouvres.
Looked very grippy too, probably washed clean with all the rain.
Gareth Dillon's run was awesome (11:25), there is some serious note out of that thing and he can really throw it about. Depressingly good but class.
I did a clubman autotest at Raloo in June last year and found the surface odd, I was on Rainsports too and had way too much rear end grip. Itching to get back out myself.

GlennM

RMS Regular
OP
GlennM
Drives
335d

Watched Kerney's video of the autotest, seemed super tight to get round, if anything the expert layout looks easier to have got speed up between the manouvres.
Looked very grippy too, probably washed clean with all the rain.
Gareth Dillon's run was awesome (11:25), there is some serious note out of that thing and he can really throw it about. Depressingly good but class.
I did a clubman autotest at Raloo in June last year and found the surface odd, I was on Rainsports too and had way too much rear end grip. Itching to get back out myself.

Yeah it was strange! I tested the car in Raloo a month back when it was dry and dusty, it felt ok, but the other night was sketchy! And the grip didnt really fluctuate when it rained! The tyres were insanely good!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Has Gareth got ITB's on his car? I've watched that video over a few times and it sounds friggin awesome.