Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio

chris9696

RMS Regular
Drives
Guilia QV
As someone relatively new to RMS I thought it was about time I put my car on here and stopped lurking
So this is my latest car, she's a 2017 model Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio in Vesuvio Grey with the yellow calipers
The last two owners both did very few miles in car (9000 in 4 years) and the condition of the car reflects this, it really looks and feels showroom fresh

It was my first time buying a car privately which I was slighly apprehensive about, partly with the car still being relatively expensive but also being a 4 year old Alfa Romeo :laughing:
Thankfully it turned out to be probably the easiest and most enjoyable car buying experiences I've had. The previous owner was a proper petrolhead, he had this car as well as an Alfa 4C and an original low mileage Audi Quattro tucked away. I went to view the car on a sunny Friday afternoon and was expecting the usual walk around the car than a quick run up and down the road... I ended up being there all afternoon chatting cars and driving the Alfa down all these great roads around Crossgar, I was totally blown away.

Prior to buying the Alfa I had an M2 Competition for a year and a half, and whilst it was a great car I was finding it a bit too stiff for the sort of backroads I was driving it on and I was always a bit disappointed with the engine note. The OPF filters really do choke that car out compared to the M3/M4 with the same engine, I toyed with the idea of doing the Litchfield suspension kit and maybe an intake/exhaust but then this car came up. Compared to an M2 comp the Alfa is obviously a physically bigger car, however they are both of similar weight and the quick steering and adaptive suspension makes the Alfa a much more enjoyable drive. Where the M2 would get unsettled down anything but a smooth A road this car just takes bumps in its stride, I find I can drive it harder because of this - it just flows with the road and gives you a lot more confidence.

Also the noise that comes from that V6 in race mode with the valves cracked open is just filth. Get the gear changes in at the right point in the rev range and you get a loud crack from the exhaust on the upshifts, its addictive to say the least. I plan to make a few very small changes to the car such as upgrading the stock stereo, fitting my plate and just getting some new tyres on it. The Pirelli P Zero Corsas are spectacular in the dry, they stick like no other tyre I've ever driven on - I'm talking full throttle in 2nd gear once their warm and there's no drama. In the wet however they do really struggle to put the power down, plus these have 9k miles on them so have nearly had their day anyway. Michelin are making PS4s for these cars now in the OE sizes so I have a set of those on order. I also have my eyes peeled for a set of the Sparco buckets but no joy so far.

IMG_20210513_204744.jpg IMG_20210513_204818.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_204806.jpg
    IMG_20210513_204806.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 246

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Absolutely awesome car, very interesting to hear the comparison of it with your M2.

My mate bought @Phil_D ’s silver car, and I can totally understand the love for these cars, they are outstanding and it seems the value of them would suggest most people agree!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
:sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

Lovely car Chris ... exactly the same as my old one, perfect combo. Always wanted the yellow calipers too :heart_eyes:

Looking forward to getting a nosey round it soon, small cars and coffee needs sorted soon lol

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Beautiful, I had a run out in Phil’s and it greatly impressed me. Definitely on the list to own! Health to enjoy

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I spent some time in one when they first came out and they are 100% my lotto win daily driver.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Nice 1st car post :grinning:. I’d like a go in one of these to see what the fuss is about, agree with the M2 comments, the short wheel base and suspension set up just isn’t suited to our roads, I wanted one until I drove one!
welcome and look forward to more pics :grinning:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
The OEM Pirellis really let them down from standard. Those tyres are meant for european roads and temperatures,

Changing out my OEM tyres made a hude difference, as did lowering it a bit also (y)

Their geo setup from standard is really aggressive but hugely positive drive!

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Welcome, bloody brilliant cars, loved mine.. Don't worry about going a size up on the rear tyres, I changed to PS4's with the slightly wider rears after a fairly hairy experience on a wet cold day on the corsas and never looked back. Shame you weren't on here earlier as I sold my Sparco seats to a guy in England before I sold the car.

Enjoy one of if not the best sports saloons on the road.

chris9696

RMS Regular
OP
C
Drives
Guilia QV
M2's are great cars and I'd 100% have another, but only if I had £££ to throw at suspension/exhaust/wheels/brakes or to buy an M2 CS
The Guilia is just set up pretty much perfectly out the box for UK driving (with the exception of the tyres)
And yes it goes like a stabbed rat :joy: I had a bit of a race with a C7 RS6 on a dual carriageway, I got away first but he couldn't make up ground on me which I was quite surprised at

I've actually had the car about a month now so may as well update the thread
First thing that needed sorting was the factory stereo, I love my music and had Harmon Kardon in the M2 so the base Alfa system was really bothering me
Even before I lifted the car I'd found out about Audio Advice in Portadown and noticed he'd already done systems on 2 other Guilia's

He recommended some Audison equipment to beef up the stock system, specifically the following equipment:
1 x Audison Prima APK 165/2 "2-way Component Speaker"
1 x Audison SR 5.600
1 x Audison Prima APS 8 D "8" Subwoofer"
And then some Skinz sound deadening for the doors etc

I'd asked him to keep it looking factory so use the factory locations for speakers/tweeters and mount the amplifier under the boot floor
The subwoofer then just sits neatly in the boot, so it's all easily removed when the day comes to sell the car
I'd recommend Audio Advice to anyone looing upgrades, good service and I thought quite reasonable price wise, cost me somewhere in the range of what the factory Harmon Kardon would when new and I'd wager my system sounds better

As well as that I got the major service done (ouch) and a 2 year Alfa warranty with Donnelly's so at least have some peace of mind going forward
Then last weekend I had some time to myself so was able to get the DA out
I started with a full decon (iron out, de-tar, and clay)
Then brought the car inside and wiped it over with some panel prep to get rid of any remaining wax etc
After that I just did a single stage polish with Scholl S20 Black, I find this the way to go as a beginner
You can work it for ages without it drying out so it can cover large areas, it doesn't dust too much and it's easy to get a single stage done in a day without really having to rush
I topped the car off with some Kamikaze Overcoat V3, I really rate this stuff - beads like crazy and I believe it reduces the amount of water spotting you get so the car 'looks' cleaner for longer

Also got my plate on the car - for the front plate I got one from Static plates Show Plate | Static Plates
It's essentially the same as a stick on plate but instead of adhesive it uses the static between the surface on the back of the plate and the plastic bumper
So when you take it off it's very easy and leaves nothing behind
Anyway it hasn't fallen off yet and I've been trying so all good so far

Following all of that I took it for a good blast up round the Ulster Grand Prix circuit
V6 howling and gunshots firing out the exhaust, absolute bliss :cool:
More pics attached

IMG_20210613_114939.jpg
IMG_20210613_114948.jpg
IMG_20210613_115002.jpg
IMG_20210613_115014.jpg
IMG_20210613_115027.jpg
IMG_20210613_122855.jpg
IMG_20210613_122930.jpg
IMG_20210613_122950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan

RMS Regular
There is one of these that lives somewher near here. Every time it goes past it sounds like it's ripping up the earth and leaving a volcano behind. Such an awesome noise.

I would love one of these in Montreal green.

chris9696

RMS Regular
OP
C
Drives
Guilia QV
A bit of an update on my ownership experience with the Alfa
I noticed that the alloys were starting to get a bit tatty, with the paint starting to bubble up in a few small areas and also the original tyres were very much on their last legs
So a set of Michelin PS4s and a trip up to Cobra Customs was in order to get it back to factory fresh
Ended up going slightly darker than factory I asked for a colour match but this is as close as they could get - personally I prefer the darker shade it makes the car look more aggressive especially against the yellow brakes
It's probably the best finish I've ever had on a set of alloys I would definitely recommended Cobra Customs - reasonably priced too

Dark.jpg
Close Up.jpg
Front Light 2.jpg
Front Light.jpg
Rear.jpg
Fisheye.jpg
Rear 3-4.jpg

chris9696

RMS Regular
OP
C
Drives
Guilia QV
So my time with the Alfa is soon to be over
Sold it in just a few hours on Autotrader unbelievably, to a nice chap from England who is coming to collect next week
Without a doubt the best car I've had the pleasure of owning and really surprisingly reliable, other than for servicing I've not been anywhere near the dealer in over 2 years and 25k miles
Soon to be replaced by something new and more practical, but no slower and not an SUV which is probably a pretty good clue ;)

Pound for pound for a daily car that you can use and put miles on, that won't depreciate like crazy there's nothing that can touch these in my eyes - comfortable when you want it to be and a total animal in Dynamic and Race, brilliant cars
I've never seen one for sale but I'd jump at a Guilia GTA if the opportunity ever came up

20230724_202412.jpg

Attachments

• 20230724_202331.jpg
    20230724_202331.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230724_202300.jpg
    20230724_202300.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230724_202730.jpg
    20230724_202730.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230724_202250.jpg
    20230724_202250.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230724_202338.jpg
    20230724_202338.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230724_202402.jpg
    20230724_202402.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230724_202422.jpg
    20230724_202422.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 23

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
So my time with the Alfa is soon to be over
Sold it in just a few hours on Autotrader unbelievably, to a nice chap from England who is coming to collect next week
Without a doubt the best car I've had the pleasure of owning and really surprisingly reliable, other than for servicing I've not been anywhere near the dealer in over 2 years and 25k miles
Soon to be replaced by something new and more practical, but no slower and not an SUV which is probably a pretty good clue ;)

Pound for pound for a daily car that you can use and put miles on, that won't depreciate like crazy there's nothing that can touch these in my eyes - comfortable when you want it to be and a total animal in Dynamic and Race, brilliant cars
I've never seen one for sale but I'd jump at a Guilia GTA if the opportunity ever came up

View attachment 405418

Lovely car. But M3 Touring is mega. Friend of mine has a Dravit Grey one.

There was a GTAm on Collecting Cars recently, in fact the same car sold twice in the space of a couple of months.