Caterham Supersport on the Antrim Coast

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
See the blog feature on this - We've some of the most breath taking winding coastal roads in the world here in Northern Ireland, and I mean right up there with the likes of the Pacific Coast Highway 1 in California. The meandering asphalt of the A2 that runs the perimeter of North Antrim, separating hills and towns from the wild churn of the Irish Sea is a sight to behold on a crisp fresh winter's morning, especially from the cockpit of a Caterham Supersport, its 1.6L Ford Sigma motor reverberating off the rocks.

This isn't just a Sunday morning drive. It’s life affirming level stuff.

Read the Entire Article Here

Last edited:

Dave..

RMS Regular
Very good article. I always wanted one but my bad back and size 14 feet put an end to that idea.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Reminds me of the time we all went to bushmills & I’d the M3 Evo
A542F02A-F724-4FAF-B286-4F71B9A99519.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Love a Caterham but practical they ain't. In the late 80's I used to be involved in sorting out unfinished Caterham projects that people had bought and couldn't finish or couldn't get through inspections. My first attempt at getting out of one involved me realising I couldn't get my legs out so I ended up pouring myself out sideways and onto all fours before standing up to roars of laughter from the audience. Got the knack of it after a while getting in and out of them but it's not easy to make it graceful, it was easier getting in and out of a single seater race car. I'd still love a blast in one though so might be giving yer man a call.

Chris W

RMS Regular
Drives
Caterham 7
that was very good, and their pricing is a lot more reasonable than I would have thought
Cheers, we’ve tried to find a price point that covers our costs but also works for our customers.

Considering the price at the moment of even a small rental car we’re definitely better value 😁

The smiles per miles is 100% worth it!
Love a Caterham but practical they ain't. In the late 80's I used to be involved in sorting out unfinished Caterham projects that people had bought and couldn't finish or couldn't get through inspections. My first attempt at getting out of one involved me realising I couldn't get my legs out so I ended up pouring myself out sideways and onto all fours before standing up to roars of laughter from the audience. Got the knack of it after a while getting in and out of them but it's not easy to make it graceful, it was easier getting in and out of a single seater race car. I'd still love a blast in one though so might be giving yer man a call.
Definitely give us a shout and we’ll get you hooked up.

There’s certainly a knack for getting in and out but the steering wheel off helps a little. Sure once you’re in you won’t want to get out anyway 😂😂

ilovequo

RMS Regular
All the best with this... Just need to get the wife tranquilized and kids handed off for a weekend!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
great idea.. and reasonable prices... they are the sort of car that makes a lot of sense to either hire before you buy... or for some folk - just hire one once or twice a year rather than own...

must check out the dates for the hill climbs and make an enquiry :p

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Track day use allowed @Chris W ?

Would love to get back out for a drive round Kirkistown again in one!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Great idea this, would love to try one out come spring time. Never driven one before and always been curious.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Has me thinking of buying an R400 or R500 aging FFS...........no idea what I'd do with it!

I sold the 620 as I couldn't go away for a long weekend in Ireland with it so the Lotus arrived.........still prefer a Caterham to drive but they're almost as stupid a car as an Atom 🤣

Chris W

RMS Regular
Drives
Caterham 7
All the best with this... Just need to get the wife tranquilized and kids handed off for a weekend!
Cheers, we aim to provide something different as a driving experience. You could always take the wife and blag you're taking her out for the day. That's what I did! lol. It cost me a nice lunch but it was well worth it for a day blasting round Scotland in one of these :grinning:

Chris W

RMS Regular
Drives
Caterham 7
@gixermark I totally agree. I can completely see why someone wouldn't want to spend the money to own one and have it parked up a lot of the time. It makes more sense to hire one from us for a few days or a couple of weekends :p I'll have to mark the dates of the hill climbs and make it unavailable. lol.

@Ben P currently we don't have insurance to cover us for the track. However, it's something I'm looking into for the future as a number of people have enquired with the same idea. I'd probably be looking to pick up a dedicated race version to cover that activity. I intend to have my own Mini R53 out at a few track and sprint events next year.

@gav525 Give us a shout anytime and we'll get you sorted. You definitely won't be disappointed. We have a few packages listed on our website Home - Se7ens Car Hire but as we're a family business we're more than happy to work out something bespoke so you get the experience you want with the car.

@mike150 Sure keep the Lotus and take ours out for a spin every now and again. The 620 would be a handful I'm sure! Our Caterham is equivalent to the current 270 so it's still a lot of fun to drive but you don't feel you're going to kill yourself every time you stand on the loud pedal :joy:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
@mike150 Sure keep the Lotus and take ours out for a spin every now and again. The 620 would be a handful I'm sure! Our Caterham is equivalent to the current 270 so it's still a lot of fun to drive but you don't feel you're going to kill yourself every time you stand on the loud pedal :joy:
I've driven lots of Caterhams and the best imo is an R400 or R500, anything slower wouldn't do and a 620 while being the fastest looses a bit of character as it's forced induction, NA is the way to go.

A fast Caterham is the best driving experience I've ever had at any price point and I'm sure @gixermark would agree.........even better than a 911 GT3 😱

If any readers have never driven one they really should, especially as it's local and well priced.

BTW they're far better than an Ariel Atom imo, an Atom is a sketchy, twitchy thing with zero comfort or heat, I don't rate them at all. A Caterham has sublime handling and heater is like a furnace, only your head gets cold! Wear a hat.

Best of luck with the venture @Chris W 👍

Chris W

RMS Regular
Drives
Caterham 7
Cheers Mike, really appreciate it.

I'll hopefully get to meet a lot of you either through hiring the Caterham or I intend to be at a few Trackskills days at Kirkistown with the R53. I'm also planning to try my hand at a few sprints & hill climbs in the Mini next year so fingers crossed I can keep it between the hedges!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Good luck with the venture Chris, I see you’re only round the corner from me - handy if I’ve the itch for a go in a Caterham!

Definitely give the sprints and hills a go, maybe see you there!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I've driven lots of Caterhams and the best imo is an R400 or R500, anything slower wouldn't do and a 620 while being the fastest looses a bit of character as it's forced induction, NA is the way to go.

A fast Caterham is the best driving experience I've ever had at any price point and I'm sure @gixermark would agree.........even better than a 911 GT3 😱

If any readers have never driven one they really should, especially as it's local and well priced.

BTW they're far better than an Ariel Atom imo, an Atom is a sketchy, twitchy thing with zero comfort or heat, I don't rate them at all. A Caterham has sublime handling and heater is like a furnace, only your head gets cold! Wear a hat.

Best of luck with the venture @Chris W 👍

pls don't make me choose between a fast caterham........ and a GT3 !!! ok........... if i was forced to have one toy - it woudl absolutely be the caterham :heart_eyes: