Jaguar XJ - A stupid daily choice?

c_rad

RMS Regular
Having sorted out the partner with a nice Tiguan just before Christmas, I had succumbed to the urge to change into something wafty and auto to daily. I'd been driving the IS-F a lot over the past while and just wanted something full of torque and auto to sail around in.

Looked at a few options, went to see a couple of A5's which turned out to be absolutely dog rough up close. Stumbled on to a Jaguar XF but it was sold before I could view it. Late night before New Year's Eve, I spotted the XJ... having previously owned a black car and swearing I'd never have another, it was only natural I ended up buying this large yacht in black...
Anyway, I went view it New Years Eve and a deal was done.

Feels very special when climbing inside, car smells of nice leather and with the carbon touches felt a really nice place to be. The digital dash also makes it feel more modern than its age suggests.

Test drive had me hooked. Very smooth and hilariously quiet. The 3.0 V6 Diesel has a lovely midrange whack which moves this 5mtr long blunderbus along at a pace which is very respectable. Over the week of ownership I've seen nearly 40mpg average also so it's proving handy run also. The steering is very sharp and with limited body roll even for its size it does drive just so well.

Plans are to sort the chrome out and go for a shadow chrome type colour on the wheels depending on if I find a nicer set I like in the meantime.

Anyway, enough muttering on. I only have a few dealer pics as I've yet to give it a proper wash and get stuck in to it.

Screenshot_20220106-221715_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-221753_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-221808_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-221828_Chrome.jpg

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
A work colleague dailies the even longer version of this from Greenisland to Bangor every day - he too claims nearly 40mpg, which is a massive improvement on the Chrysler Voyager and L200 beasts he had before. Has had zero bother in nigh 3 years.
That looks lovely!

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
A work colleague dailies the even longer version of this from Greenisland to Bangor every day - he too claims nearly 40mpg, which is a massive improvement on the Chrysler Voyager and L200 beasts he had before. Has had zero bother in nigh 3 years.
That looks lovely!

That's good to know! They are quite light for the size thanks to the aluminium body thankfully

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Looks class, Im sure that is a lovely thing to drive!

If it was mine I'd be keen to look at wheels with a spoke or two extra, suits them!

2011-Jaguar-XJ-3-625x416.jpg

Jaguar_XJ_3.0_D-S_Supersport_(X351)_–_Heckansicht,_30._Juni_2013,_Münster.jpg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Very very nice! A very eye catching car, any time I see one i always take an extra look at it. HTD. I had an XF with the same engine and it mapped up to about 320bhp which really helped

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Love that, very classy.

I did laugh at the thought of having it as the sensible daily!

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
I think they are one of the best looking cars made.

The interior is a lovely place to be and feels very luxurious.

Health to enjoy and be sure to service it well and often. The engines are the only thing that let them down and can be quite troublesome.

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
That's class looking. You always buy interesting cars 👍

Sometimes it's a curse but I can't help but like something different from the norm :joy:

Looks class, Im sure that is a lovely thing to drive!

If it was mine I'd be keen to look at wheels with a spoke or two extra, suits them!

View attachment 346011
View attachment 346012

That top set is like something I am looking towards. Maybe in a slightly darker shade, but very close to what I'm after.
Very very nice! A very eye catching car, any time I see one i always take an extra look at it. HTD. I had an XF with the same engine and it mapped up to about 320bhp which really helped

I've already spoken with a place and they reckon 340ish bhp and close to 700nm torque should be easily and safely achieved. Either way it'll improve it, the mid range is very punchy in stock form.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
That's not stupid at all; I like it a lot.
Only reason I would think twice about one for a daily is if I needed a street side parking space, they might limit the choice, but that's all.

c_rad

RMS Regular
OP
c_rad
That's not stupid at all; I like it a lot.
Only reason I would think twice about one for a daily is if I needed a street side parking space, they might limit the choice, but that's all.

It's quite large, not easily abandoned! Lol

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
That's a lovely big wafter. I don't even think I have seen an xj that wasn't black.

I'm surprised how different the interior compared to the XF, much more conventional in this..I guess maybe they didn't want to scare off Their older clientele

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Tremendous wafter. If it’s anything like my old one it’ll be a total pain in the bum to park with the length of it lol.