Mini R53 Build & Mental Health

Chris W

RMS Regular
Drives
Caterham 7
I know there are a number of threads already on here about mental health but I wanted to give my story alongside documenting my Mini R53 track car build as the two are interlinked. In this blog, I’ll cover my mental health story and show a load of photos on how my little R53 has been transformed.

By writing this I hope it might help at least one person understand they are not alone, or maybe identify with some of the same issues and realise that there’s help out there. Thankfully there are now lots of posts on it being ok to not be ok but I wanted to go a bit further and talk about what not being ok is actually like. I would encourage anyone that can relate to my story below or they feel they need to talk to someone, please get in touch and we can talk through things. My contact details can be found at www.se7enscarhire.com so please reach out anytime via email/phone/text/dm.

I had never really given any thought to stress, depression/anxiety before and assumed people just needed to get on with things until I got a proper wakeup call in Oct/Nov 2020. Depression for me didn’t just happen overnight and I’m sure it’s the same for everyone. Looking back now I can see it had been building for a good number of years and by Oct 2020 I was at breaking point.

Life had become relentless and I couldn’t see any way it would ever change. I felt completely trapped in my situation and didn’t think I could talk to anyone about it. For a long time, I had become completely disengaged with everything and everyone around me. I no longer had any enjoyment from anything in my life. When others would say, today was a good day, to me it was just blah, it was just like every other day. I was really good at hiding it though and putting on a front/mask so that no one would know what was going on. In fact, I’m pretty sure if you’d have asked any of my friends/family they never would have guessed.

I’m sure like everyone on this forum, I love cars, bikes and really anything with an engine that goes fast and sounds good. I’m extremely lucky to have a GSXR600 motorbike and this was my only real escape. For anyone that doesn’t ride motorbikes, your focus has to be 100% on the road and the environment around you in order to keep yourself alive so you can’t think about anything else that’s going on. One of my favourite quotes is
“The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present… he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future… he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.” Milan Kundera

Throughout most of the summer 2020, because I was completely disengaged with everything and found no joy in anything I did, I found myself pushing almost beyond my limits on the bike in order to try and feel alive. At the time I didn’t think anything about it but once I started getting some help it was clear this was being driven by my depression.

As we got into Sep/Oct 2020, things had progressed to the point where every time I got in my car, I thought about crashing into the nearest wall/tree or anything that would cause some serious injury meaning I had a reason to break from everyday life. That feeling of needing some way to stop life as I knew it wasn’t just when I was in the car. Every day I would wake up and will myself to have a heart attack. I know that sounds crazy but that was one of the only ways I could see the relentlessness of life stopping. Also, by this time I was having chest pains, headaches etc anyway so I didn’t think it was too much of a stretch.

It was the end of Oct, start of Nov before I got the proper wakeup call I needed to really accept things couldn’t continue and I needed help. On a Tuesday afternoon after not feeling great all morning, I’d gone downstairs for something and as I came back up, I could feel myself getting dizzy; next thing I knew, I was lying on the study floor unable to move. I had no idea what was happening to me but I felt I couldn’t move. I spent almost an hour lying on the floor before I was able to get myself into a sitting position. After speaking with the GP, I’d had a panic attack but that was the impetus I needed to realise it was time to start addressing my depression.

Again, I was extremely lucky as I had private healthcare which meant I could start getting help from a counsellor/psychotherapist within a couple of weeks. I know that going through the NHS can take a few months and I’m sure that must be so difficult having to wait on getting that support, with the only other option to pay for it privately which is a considerable expense. However, this subject is being talked about far more openly now, especially around men’s mental health so finding support from others that are going through the same thing is much easier. Again, if anyone is in this position and needs someone to talk to, please reach out and I’m happy to grab a coffee, chat on the phone or help in whatever way you need. We can even have you down for a nosey round our garage. 😊

One of the things discussed with my counsellor/psychotherapist in early 2021 was understanding that I needed some sort of hobby/interest that I wanted to do for myself. I needed to find something that would be a positive distraction, something I was choosing to do just for me. Not because someone else was doing it or I felt I had to do it for a particular reason. I needed to have somewhere/something as an escape that made me feel I was a million miles away from all the issues going on in my life.

I didn’t really have anything I enjoyed or was involved in so we started talking about things I was interested in growing up and the only thing I could think of was cars and racing. I’d never done any mechanic work or raced before but it was always something I was interested in. My wife has been super supportive and I started to look for a cheap car that I could start working on with the aim to create a track car. In the end I chose a Mini R53 which I collected from the mainland and drove back home on the boat in March 2021.

I didn’t have a big enough garage so I had to borrow my uncle’s double garage to fit everything in. For me this setup was actually a blessing for 2 reasons, 1. It was 4 miles down the road so going there was a space that was just for me to do something I enjoyed and 2. Due to the distance it meant I had to make the extra effort to go there. The other thing with this project was that I didn’t have any particular time frame in mind, it was just something I could spend a few hours on with no stress or pressure of deadlines.

It's now just over a year on and I still speak with my therapist regularly as I continue to work through the depression and manage ongoing life events. Thankfully I’m now in a far better place with my mental health thanks to being able to talk through what was going on and learning some techniques on how to better manage my anxiety. There’s no quick fix and it takes time but I want to give some hope that things do get better. I’m now in a position where I can see the positive in reaching breaking point as it forced me to make changes and improve my life. I know I’ll always have to work on my mental health but being aware of the signs to look for and understanding the techniques to help manage anxiety, I’m looking forward to what the future holds. Fingers crossed my little Mini will be competing in a few hill climb/sprint events this year.

This is my baby before I started any work. It was dyno’d at 177bhp and weighed in at just over 1200kg.

Mini_Boat.jpg

Mini_Bhp.jpg

The next task was to start stripping out the interior to minimise the weight.

Mini_Interior.jpg

Mini_Interior2.jpg

Mini_Interior3.jpg

Thanks to lots and lots of YouTube videos I started working on getting the engine out.

Mini_Engine_Out.jpg

Mini_Engine_Out2.jpg

Mini_Engine_Out3.jpg

Mini_Engine_Stand.jpg

After a lot of cleaning and scrubbing the engine rebuild started. In the end, there is a Nemans Ph2 Cam, 17% reduced pulley, Airtec top mounted intercooler, Airtec Induction system, upgraded coil pack with cooler plugs, alloy expansion tank, new crank pulley, new water pump, new tensioner pulley, new Pro Hoses and all Aluminium parts vapour blasted (horns, engine mounts, air intake).

Mini_Engine_Build.jpg

Mini_Engine_Build2.jpg

Mini_Engine_Build3.jpg

Mini_Engine_Build5.jpg

Mini_Engine_Rebuild2.jpg

Mini_Engine_ReBuild6.jpg

After the engine rebuild it was time to pull out the front and rear subframes. Again, all the components were cleaned, wire brushed/shot blasted and painted. For the front subframe most of the components were good so it was only really some new bushes and drop links. And for the rear subframe I upgraded the trailing arms to the lighter aluminium arms from the R56, replaced the control arms with Silverline adjustable ones and installed new rear drop links. I also upgraded the exhaust to the R56 straight through pipe which meant having to relocate the battery from under the boot.

Mini_Subframe_Out.jpg

Mini_Front_Sub.jpg

Mini_Front_Sub2.jpg

Mini_Rear_Sub.jpg

Mini_Rear_Sub2.jpg

The suspension all round was changed to Tein Z Street Advance adjustable coilovers with new adjustable top mounts on the front. Initial setup has been done by Street Racers in Bangor but I’ll need to go back for corner weighting setup once the cage and race seat are fitted.

The front brakes have also been upgraded to the later R56 calipers, EBC grooved discs and EBC yellow stuff pads. The rears are new standard R53 discs/pads with HEL braided hoses on all four corners.

Mini_Rear_Sub3.jpg

There are still a couple of bits to finish off before it’s ready to race including remap (will be booked into Auto Tune very soon), rollcage, isolator switch and race seat but these are some of the latest pics I have.

Mini Finish 00.jpg

Mini Finish 01.jpg

Mini Finish 02.jpg

Mini Finish 03.jpg

If you've made it to the end of this. Thank you for following my build.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Wowsers! That’s an epic build!! Good on you!! Oh and good man for opening up on here. You may have already picked up on other threads that I suffer from depression and anxiety myself, so I can relate to a lot of what you’ve said.

Last edited:

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Such a great post - for both reasons - glad to hear you're on the mend and wow... what a rebuild! Fair play to you..... you'll have to video your dyno pull! The R53 is a real hoot to drive and that whine is addictive!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
This thread grabbed my attention because of the title regarding mental health (not Mini :joy:) and I have to commend you on both accounts actually.

I also realised you rent the Caterham, I had 3 of them and love them but they're useless as actual cars to be blunt which is why I own an Elise now! Everyone should drive a Caterham once though as they totally purify driving.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Great build and I couldn't agree more about needing the hobby and something for you to do! Tinkering/building cars in the garage keeps me sane for sure.

Just be careful if you are thinking of going down the hills/sprints route that you build it for a specific class. For road going things are particularly strict now so you need things like rear seats/trim/door cards/roof lining all in place. The other option is class 6b and I'm not sure but the car might need log booked for that. I'm planning to compete this year myself and all being well will be out at Nutts Corner on 5th March. Also fairly sure you're only round the corner from me (or maybe it's your uncles if that's were you keep the Caterham!). If you have any questions about the sprints etc ping me and I'll try and help out!

e320mark

RMS Regular
Brilliant build! I can be up & down myself, my dad died when I was 13 & only within the last few years I’ve realised I have just bottled it up & not dealt with it! I almost feel bitter that all his brothers & sisters are still alive, bad I know! I would be a different person if he had still been alive, I just know it!

Chris W

RMS Regular
OP
Chris W
Drives
Caterham 7
Wowsers! That’s an epic build!! Good on you!! Oh and good man for opening up on here. You may have already picked up on other threads that I suffer from depression and anxiety myself, so I can relate to a lot of what you’ve said.
Thanks. It’s great that it’s more widely recognised now but I still felt there wasn’t a lot being talked about what they actually look like in day to day life.
Such a great post - for both reasons - glad to hear you're on the mend and wow... what a rebuild! Fair play to you..... you'll have to video your dyno pull! The R53 is a real hoot to drive and that whine is addictive!
I love this Mini. It’s amazing fun to drive and I’m sure it’ll be even better with a proper map. I’ll definitely get a video up in this thread when it’s getting dunk’s again!

Chris W

RMS Regular
OP
Chris W
Drives
Caterham 7
Great build and I couldn't agree more about needing the hobby and something for you to do! Tinkering/building cars in the garage keeps me sane for sure.

Just be careful if you are thinking of going down the hills/sprints route that you build it for a specific class. For road going things are particularly strict now so you need things like rear seats/trim/door cards/roof lining all in place. The other option is class 6b and I'm not sure but the car might need log booked for that. I'm planning to compete this year myself and all being well will be out at Nutts Corner on 5th March. Also fairly sure you're only round the corner from me (or maybe it's your uncles if that's were you keep the Caterham!). If you have any questions about the sprints etc ping me and I'll try and help out!
Yea, I’m looking at going into class 6b as I wanted to do the full strip out for a proper race car look.

We’re based in Ballynure so if you’re just around the corner, feel free to call in anytime :grinning:

I will likely need some help with wiring a battery isolator switch and a couple of the other requirements for it to pass scrutineering.
Brilliant build! I can be up & down myself, my dad died when I was 13 & only within the last few years I’ve realised I have just bottled it up & not dealt with it! I almost feel bitter that all his brothers & sisters are still alive, bad I know! I would be a different person if he had still been alive, I just know it!
I think so many people do just get on with things for as long as they can but I like the way my dad put it. It’s like a box. You can keep putting things in there but eventually it’ll run out of space and at that point something has to give.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yeah I'm Ballycorr Road and daughter goes to Ballynure Primary!

Ah good stuff, I'll possiby move to 6b next year, running in class 1 this year and will see how it goes. I wired a Cartek GT into my car a few weeks ago actually after I relocated the battery and it worked out fairly straightforward, I'll try and answer any questions I can!

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Outstanding car and I totally understand about the mental health. I reached a point a load of years ago that I seriously thought of hitting the partition wall coming off the Westlink on my way home from a night shift one Sunday morning. My family came into my head and I caught myself on just in the nick of time. I was always of the opinion that people who take their own life are selfish, with no consideration for the family they leave behind, but until you're in that place yourself, you're totally ignorant to what drives people to suicide. When you're in that place you think it's the only way out.

My problems all started from my GP prescribing me Champix, in 2009 I think, to stop smoking. I had never suffered mental health issues until then. I stopped those things just two weeks into the course as I read they were linked to so many suicides and murders in the US after doing my own research because of my thoughts. Still have anxiety to this day, I've never been the same since. Bar a couple of cigs when I've been seriously hammered, they did stop me smoking though, but at a cost. That incident on the Westlink a few years back put me onto vaping just to take the edge off.

I'm on a low dose of Amitriptyline, for pain relief for a jaw condition (TMD), which seems to have helped me too, even though the dosage is half what it would be for depression.

Thankfully society has reached a point the stigma around talking about mental health has gone. Even people who, on the surface, appear to have it all reach a point they can no longer battle their internal demons.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Absolutely class build!

My father in law is currently going through a stage of depression I think at the moment, he raced bikes In his younger years and has been down the road afew times his body has finally had enough of the bikes and he's decided to hang up his boots.

Looking at him you can just tell how much he's misses the rush of it all. I've been trying to talk him into a Caterham/kitcar for awhile now would love to get him a run in one for his birthday in March he's local enough to yourselves to (Ballyrobert). Do you do a daily rental of it or does it need to be a weekend sort of thing?

e320mark

RMS Regular
Yeah I'm Ballycorr Road and daughter goes to Ballynure Primary!

Ah good stuff, I'll possiby move to 6b next year, running in class 1 this year and will see how it goes. I wired a Cartek GT into my car a few weeks ago actually after I relocated the battery and it worked out fairly straightforward, I'll try and answer any questions I can!
I used to live on the ballycorr road, ballycorr heights just before the new houses being built now

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Thanks. It’s great that it’s more widely recognised now but I still felt there wasn’t a lot being talked about what they actually look like in day to day life.

I love this Mini. It’s amazing fun to drive and I’m sure it’ll be even better with a proper map. I’ll definitely get a video up in this thread when it’s getting dunk’s again!
Totally agree and if I’m honest I’ve never been brave enough to write out what it’s like in a day of my life.

Also having recently changed over to Mini ownership, albeit just a Cooper, I agree with you on how much fun they are to drive!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I used to live on the ballycorr road, ballycorr heights just before the new houses being built now
Small world! In best Martin Wilson then!? I'm on up the road at White Park, towards the Church Road end.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
What a class wee mini.

I’m also in Ballynure, currently building on the Braepark Road. You may have seen my JCW about !

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
What a great post, and fair play for sharing your feelings/experiences in public. Interestingly relatable, as I spend my life trying to please others, whether it be work, clients, or family.

Funnily enough I'm collecting an R53 next week to get on track or do some events in as I've decided enough is enough and I need to do something purely for me. Hopefully see you on track!

Chris W

RMS Regular
OP
Chris W
Drives
Caterham 7
Absolutely class build!

My father in law is currently going through a stage of depression I think at the moment, he raced bikes In his younger years and has been down the road afew times his body has finally had enough of the bikes and he's decided to hang up his boots.

Looking at him you can just tell how much he's misses the rush of it all. I've been trying to talk him into a Caterham/kitcar for awhile now would love to get him a run in one for his birthday in March he's local enough to yourselves to (Ballyrobert). Do you do a daily rental of it or does it need to be a weekend sort of thing?
I'm sure it's been difficult for him to give up the things he loves and was probably the interest he had that was his escape.

We do daily rentals and there's more details at www.se7enscarhire.com. Give us a shout on 07883872741 and we can get you sorted with gift vouchers or something for the big day.

Chris W

RMS Regular
OP
Chris W
Drives
Caterham 7
There's a good few round this neck of the woods.

If anyone would be interested we could arrange just a general meet/catch-up at our garage some evening. You could bring whatever cars you have and get a nosey round the Mini build and our Caterham alongside just having a chat.

Drop me a DM/Text/Whatsapp or something and we can see about getting a date arranged.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Great write up! You aren’t helping me staying away from buying a mini after @Blackie got one and I went down that rabbit hole!

Fair play for putting yourself out there like that always been open to listen to anyone who needs to vent or someone to talk to. Great idea about the coffee at the shed