Hyundai i20N - a true 'hot hatch'?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this - As someone who is knocking on the doors of 40 years of age, when the mention of a hot hatch is brought to the table, I automatically reminisce about the Peugeot 205 GTI, Volkswagen's Golf GTi and Vauxhall's Nova GSI.

These hot hatch glory days lived into the noughties with Citroen's Saxo VTS, Honda's Civic Type R and Renault's Clio 172 Cup, with all of the aforementioned offering a raw driving experience best enjoyed at 11/10ths Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Quite a few of the Swift Sport owners are moving into these as it’s about one of the only modern cars that offers the same feel without being stupidly expensive.

CTC performance are doing a lot of R&D into developing performance parts for them as well.

Lee

RMS Regular
That's pretty cool. I like the instrument cluster.

I think being 5 door only lets it down massively. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
These are by all accounts absolutely brilliant. Looking forward to getting my hands on one for a video review too. Great job @Graham

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Nope... 5dr only on this one. Pity they didn't recess the rear handles at least and try to fake that 3dr hot hatch look

Bit of a shame. I seen one and noticed how high the back handles are. I really don't like the way they go uphill so drastically...but I see why they did it to go with the body lines. But I agree with you, they should have done the hidden handle trick.

20220617_205503.jpg

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Just stumbled on this.... I know it's the i30.... not the i20..... but I have to say... it sounds awesome.. (5min 42s in case this link doesn't work as expected)

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
See the blog feature on this - As someone who is knocking on the doors of 40 years of age, when the mention of a hot hatch is brought to the table, I automatically reminisce about the Peugeot 205 GTI, Volkswagen's Golf GTi and Vauxhall's Nova GSI.

These hot hatch glory days lived into the noughties with Citroen's Saxo VTS, Honda's Civic Type R and Renault's Clio 172 Cup, with all of the aforementioned offering a raw driving experience best enjoyed at 11/10ths Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here
Great write up and nice to see an as back to basics hot hatch as you can get these days đź‘Ť

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I automatically reminisce about the Peugeot 205 GTI, Volkswagen's Golf GTi
Great article, it’s a class looking wee car.

Only thing is, unless you and Lyons are out to wind me up, it’s Peugeot that use a lower case i in GTi, and VW use all caps, GTI!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Great article, it’s a class looking wee car.

Only thing is, unless you and Lyons are out to wind me up, it’s Peugeot that use a lower case i in GTi, and VW use all caps, GTI!
Accept my apology. I'll try and remember this, to ease future frustration to you lol

Thanks for the kind feedback, too. It's been a while since I've had the brain power to let some passion flow in an article. I really enjoyed creating this one, but the car made it quite easy for me.