2k paint mask

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilG

RMS Regular
So, made mysel crook, as I didn't pay enough attention to the dangers of 2k paint.

I rarely paint, but when I do I have the garage door open, fans going, and filtered half mask on.
But, after a paint job yesterday, last night I had a bad fever, coughing, wheezing, headache, uncontrollable shivering, sweating like a mad man, and dizziness. Today it's just a mild dizziness.

I May have made myself hypersensitive to isocyanite, and don't particularly want chronic asthma.

I know now that an airfed mask is what's recommended, but is there anyway to get this setup without the expense of a separate compressor, etc.

What do you use?

Have seen this, but not sure if I trust it, since everywhere says use a air-fed mask

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gerson-2K...436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51a6c6bd5c

And just a thought, could a mini scuba tank be used?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Air fed is the only way to go I think.
2k even gets in through the pores of the skin so full disposable suit is also required.

Could you not borrow a compressor to feed the mask or are you going to be doing that much painting that you would be forever borrowing one?

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
i doubt I'll be doing too much more painting, after this car I'll likely call it quits, and really couldn't be bothered with borrowing one all the time, plus you'd need to buy a Tripple air purifier (oil, carbon, and humidifier), plus the mask anyway.

I'm gonna find out if a tankless, oil less compressor will do the trick, with an airfed mask.

eamon343

RMS Regular
Me and @DMC 4087 painted a car with 2k in a fairly small garage with cheap masks. It definitely isnt good for you, I think I was high as a kite doing it then for a few days I was coughing and wheezing so much I could barley sleep. Good times, never again!!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
When the outer filter needs changed don't cut up a piece of foam and expect that to work. It doesn't lol
I was using a bit of a tissue yesterday and couldn't work out why I got dizzy.

We have a box of outer filters, must be 30 pairs in it.

And a box on the main mushroom filters, they come in pairs in sealed packs. About 4/6 pairs in a box.

PhilG

RMS Regular
OP
P
@weeloaney , cheers for the link, that looks the business, are you using them for painting?. I've emailed gerson to confirm that they're suitable for isocyanates, as their own website does seem to mention much
Those eBay adverts claim they're alright for class b1 isocyanates, but is car paint class b1? Can't find much out about that!
Clear coat is Max Meyer Maxiclear HS 0200

In other news, the finish on the shell is perfect! I'm happy! Just flatted it back and will buff tomorrow

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@weeloaney , cheers for the link, that looks the business, are you using them for painting?. I've emailed gerson to confirm that they're suitable for isocyanates, as their own website does seem to mention much
Those eBay adverts claim they're alright for class b1 isocyanates, but is car paint class b1? Can't find much out about that!

In other news, the finish on the shell is perfect! I'm happy! Just flatted it back and will buff tomorrow

O don't know the details of the mask or the classes of the paint etc.

But we use them everyday, 5 days a week for painting. Where it be basecoat and clear coat. Quailty 2K, cheap cellulose paint etc.

And we never have a problem, even the other fella was doing complete resprays on a few landrovers and never felt anything coming through.

He change the outer filter after each job then as they get clogged up rightly with a big 2k job..

As someone said to do an aired mask setup properly you need the 3 stage filter setup on the wall to plug the airline into first, the air is breathable after it from what I was told. There are very expensive tho.

And if you don't do the airfed setup the compressor air certainly can't be good for you.

What mask were you using?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
My dad uses the 3M job's that look like this when he's spraying,

81ei3h6xU8L._SX522SX522_SY553_CR,0,0,522,553_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX522_SY553_CR,0,0,522,553_SH20_.jpg

Still needed a lung removed due to cancer a few years back. I'd be spending the money on an airfed mask, even a cheap one is bound to be better than breathing the fumes directly in the spray booth.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
My dad uses the 3M job's that look like this when he's spraying,

81ei3h6xU8L._SX522SX522_SY553_CR,0,0,522,553_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX522_SY553_CR,0,0,522,553_SH20_.jpg

Still needed a lung removed due to cancer a few years back. I'd be spending the money on an airfed mask, even a cheap one is bound to be better than breathing the fumes directly in the spray booth.
Yes airfed is better but you can't just plug it straight into the airline, you need the 3 stage pre filters

Like this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131088479397&alt=web

Or at least a coalescer if nothing else

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151035718847&alt=web

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

Phil, keep us updated on what Gerson say if they get back to you. I have been putting off using the 2k clear coat I have due to the lack of a decent mask.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Yes airfed is better but you can't just plug it straight into the airline, you need the 3 stage pre filters

Like this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131088479397&alt=web

Or at least a coalescer if nothing else

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151035718847&alt=web

Yeah, I think he already had a regulator and watertrap up near the compressor. I don't honestly know.

He uses one of these in the booth now and just uses the full face 3m out on site.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
I buy 3M masks for our Techs from Ridgeway, they are based on the Airport Road down at the docks in Belfast.

To determine which type of mask is suitable for the task you should refer to the COSHH assessment. You shouldn't be wearing a mask unless you have been fit tested (basically shown how to wear it correctly) and remember to get a good face seal you need to be clean shaven though powered respirators rely less on a good face seal so you should be ok as long as you know how to put it on right.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I buy 3M masks for our Techs from Ridgeway, they are based on the Airport Road down at the docks in Belfast.

To determine which type of mask is suitable for the task you should refer to the COSHH assessment. You shouldn't be wearing a mask unless you have been fit tested (basically shown how to wear it correctly) and remember to get a good face seal you need to be clean shaven though powered respirators rely less on a good face seal so you should be ok as long as you know how to put it on right.
What's your job?

Health and safety by any chance?

Not even in college were we showed how to wear a mask, tho it was always airfed mask in the spray booth so fitment isn't an issue as it's blowing more air at you than you need.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
What's your job?

Health and safety by any chance?

Not even in college were we showed how to wear a mask, tho it was always airfed mask in the spray booth so fitment isn't an issue as it's blowing more air at you than you need.

More purchasing and one of the things I do is buy in all the work wear and PPE for our Techs so they trained me up to carry out face fit testing for any new starts, should be repeated after 2 years or if you have any changes in your face shape, I.e. Weight gain or you have started wearing glasses.

You would be amazed at the amount of people wear the incorrect mask or don't know how to put it on correctly, therefore inhaling particles that can be harmful and may cause chronic affects.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.