2nd hand injectors

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Ive bought a set of 2nd hand injectors for a vw pd engine. Im assured theyre ok of course but have beeen advised to get them tested and the spacing checked. This is new to me so has anybody any experience of doing it or is it really necessary?

Thanks

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I maybe wrong but I dont think anyone local can test pd injectors, used to be a place down south but their name escapes me now, monaghan direction iirc

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I maybe wrong but I dont think anyone local can test pd injectors, used to be a place down south but their name escapes me now, monaghan direction iirc

There’s a place in Armagh does PD injector testing. Name escapes me...

DJMCA

RMS Regular
OP
DJMCA
I rang a few places yesterday and it seems that Diesel Services in Omagh are the only place that can test the PD injectors, something to do with the test rig required. I see on their website they do a basic injector test for £10/injector so i suppose thats all i would need to check they work

DJMCA

RMS Regular
OP
DJMCA
google PD injector lash setting

I did but i still dont understand it lol.

Im not sure what it is or whether it is really necessary. So many different opinions.

Some are saying i need new seals, others are saying just stick them in and hope for the best!! Im just trying to keep costs down for things that arent necessary lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
basic test doesnt tell a lot, full test will likely be £30-40 each.

Although I think if they fail this test and you buy new ones from them, they waiver that test fee.

colin84

RMS Regular
I did but i still dont understand it lol.

Im not sure what it is or whether it is really necessary. So many different opinions.

Some are saying i need new seals, others are saying just stick them in and hope for the best!! Im just trying to keep costs down for things that arent necessary lol

If you believe them to be ok, the cheapest way is just get them fitted and see. If it doesn't run so good then get the values checked on computer.

But definitely get new copper washers for each, you can get a set on Ebay for a fiver or so.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
If you fit a set of 2nd hand injectors, spend the money and get the new seal kits, buy them from Bosch or even on eBay but make sure they are using the Bosch part number.

Ideally you want them tested to ensure they are operating to their max potential (this also means setting the screws on the rocker arm) but it all comes down to how much you want to spend on them.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
OP
DJMCA
If you fit a set of 2nd hand injectors, spend the money and get the new seal kits, buy them from Bosch or even on eBay but make sure they are using the Bosch part number.

Ideally you want them tested to ensure they are operating to their max potential (this also means setting the screws on the rocker arm) but it all comes down to how much you want to spend on them.

Am trying to keep the costs down as ive spent a fair bit so far buying turbo, manifolds, sensors, remapped Ecu etc to convert the 100 to 130. Its all adding up and her indoors is going mad :joy: Show car is lying there in bits too and show season is approaching fast :worried:

I realise that getting the injectors tested and fitting new seals etc is the best way to avoid problems, its my daily so cant really afford it to be off the road due to trying to cut corners. I know I have to buy new stretch bolts etc as well.

I suppose I was hoping for everyone to be of the same opinion and say nah, that's not necessary, just throw them in lol. Im an old Fords man so tinkering with these Vdubs is new to me

DJMCA

RMS Regular
OP
DJMCA
Yeah, im probably not wise but cant leave things alone 😂. If all is good injector wise its plug and play in a day really.

Should make around a safe 160-170 bhp and more torque when finished. Just want a bit more useable power atm with room for more in the future.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Well then at a minimum, new seals and bolts, fire them in and see how they go.

I do this for a living, so I always advise the best way to go about it.... unfortunately some people don't have a budget to do thing the right way.

I'll assume you're bolting on the 130 turbo etc? You'll easily run 160/170 for sensible money....go 200+ and you're into silly money for the gains.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
OP
DJMCA
Well then at a minimum, new seals and bolts, fire them in and see how they go.

I do this for a living, so I always advise the best way to go about it.... unfortunately some people don't have a budget to do thing the right way.

I'll assume you're bolting on the 130 turbo etc? You'll easily run 160/170 for sensible money....go 200+ and you're into silly money for the gains.

Yes, bolting on 130 turbo, map sensor, inlet manifold, intake pipe etc. Turbo has very small amount of side to side play, doesn't seem bad but again don't really want to have to refurb it due to keeping costs down. Id say once its bolted on and oil pressure around it the play will be minimal

Again i know the correct route but if i am to play it safe, a full test of injectors will be up to £160 just to know if they're ok or not, turbo refurb for peace of mind £150 +/-. Add this to the price of the new parts, 2nd hand parts, new seals, new bolts, remap etc it all becomes very pricey :joy:

DJMCA

RMS Regular
OP
DJMCA
I've reused the seals and injector bolts for people different times without any problems.

I suppose its luck of the draw with them, as its my daily I need it to work right 1st time :joy: