soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Bugatti has broken the 300mph barrier!

20190902_091322.jpg

20190902_091148.jpg

20190902_091217.jpg

I'm sure that'll be a blow for Christian von Koenigsegg after all the news he was spreading that the new Jesko can theoretically reach 300mph, so I presume that was his aim over the next year...

Also Hennessey, in typical American fashion they were never quiet about wanting to beat everyone else to it.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
first Bugatti Ive looked at and thought wow.... love the colour and look of that!! long tail ftw indeed!!!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Laser-controlled right height :cool:

“The 8.0-litre, quad-turbo W16 unit, nicknamed Thor, delivers 1,578bhp. In a testament to Bugatti’s engineering, the gearbox remains standard – as does the all-wheel-drive system.”

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That’s incredible and as said the engineering involved in that car to achieve such a milestone is just mind blowing.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
What's a "go-faster" Chiron ? Seems it has been modified a bit.

Some guys with a Ford GT did 300mph a few months ago...in a standing mile. I'm sure the Chiron took a few miles

Either way, a very impressive achievement.

:eek: That's got some serious power to do that...………….just read - 2500hp!

Last edited:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Honestly I didn't think 300mph sounded that fast when I first read it, then I saw the speedo hit near 490kph.

That's just bonkers, 500kph should be the goal though!! Sounds far faster lmao

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I am in awe that 300mph has been attained.

But, I have to wonder, have Bugatti actually done anything? This isn't a production car, it's a highly modified one. That puts it among the other modified cars and there are plenty of race cars hitting 300 and more. When they build 30 Supersports, or whatever number is needed to be recognised as a production car, that can all do 300mph, then I guess we can celebrate. For now it just seems like this is a "nothing" milestone - like Primary school "graduation" day.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I doubt they see the point but if pushed they could build a limited run and then charge a huge premium of somewhere @ €5m+.

Plus hardly anyone would have the space to reach 300 or the nerve. Then there’s question of tyres, which to my understanding was always one of the biggest limiting factors.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's not a production car by any stretch. As above, plenty of modified cars do those speeds on track.

It is a tech showcase though, and a mighty one at that. But if you need all that complexity then what is the point really?

That goes for most modern cars, lol - grumpy old man warning 😇 Add loads of weight to fit loads of completely unnecessary "tech", and then add yet more weight with more completely unnecessary "tech" to make them not handle quite like the gallions they have become :innocent: Instead of just doing it right in the first place.

As far as I know Hennesey are the only ones even pretending to try to chase 300mph in a "production car". And even then they're probably not, really. It will be a special, like the Bentley above. But enough people will fork up the umpteen millions needed for either to make enough of them to call it a "production car". Just for the bragging rights in the smoking room at the mansion in Monaco, lol, where the car will never ever be driven.

Koenigsegg are pretty open that their focus is on driveability at "normal" speeds - i.e. track performance over outright straight line top speed.

Too many compromises trying to reach 300, too expensive, and there is nowhere you could reach it anyway bar a couple of air strips. And if you're on track anyway then just build a race car... Which doesn't need any of that pointless "tech" stuff...

I'm so getting old :joy:

Last edited:

hippyross

RMS Regular
What's a "go-faster" Chiron ? Seems it has been modified a bit.

Some guys with a Ford GT did 300mph a few months ago...in a standing mile. I'm sure the Chiron took a few miles

Either way, a very impressive achievement.

This is faster to 300

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Limited production run of just 30 cars.

What a surprise, and bet they're already sold for umpteen millions and then will never be driven other than off the trailer at Pebble Beach 😇

Then Hennesey will make another thirty that are 2mph "faster" and maybe then everyone can call off this silliness.

Except then Bugatti will make another special edition that's 2mph quicker again and on it goes 😅