306 Brakes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Want to upgrade the brakes on my 306, and was wondering if drilled/grooved discs and harder pads would be any better than the standard GTi setup??

Dermot

Yes ... Black Diamond or EBC are good ... You'll only need them on the front though.. The Back does hardly any braking

There Slightly Better at braking ... You'll hardly notice it ...BUT They will be better when Warm, and Better at taking alot of heat (Like a Nite's staging)

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Dermot said:
Yes ... Black Diamond or EBC are good ... You'll only need them on the front though.. The Back does hardly any braking

There Slightly Better at braking ... You'll hardly notice it ...BUT They will be better when Warm, and Better at taking alot of heat (Like a Nite's staging)
The standard brakes get very very bad when they are warm, it's the drive home from the woman's house that I notice it the most!!!! :lol:
So you think uprated D turbo brakes would be better than standard GTi ones?

Dermot

Are the Disc's and pads and calipers Bigger on the D-Turbo ?
What evers Biggest will normally be best ...

I'd Recommend Cavalier V6 Brakes ... But dont think they'd Fit .. pin ya against the stering wheel everytime :laughing:

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
The GTi brakes are bigger than the DT ones, but I'm not thinking right, if I was to get GTi calipers, I would have to get discs and pads anyway..............

Dermot

Yeah... If You can source Calipers... Disc's and Pads Can be got Cheap enough...

Doesnt matter how fast your car can go, Aslong as it can get it stopped!

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
if you get gti-6 calipers then rallycomms off here has spare discs and pads....well he did anyway :laughing:

Yeungster

THink you'll find that no d-turbo brakes will be better than gti6 ones. You have to struggle to get the standard gti-6 setup to fade. Why go for uprated d-turbo setups when you can go for the uprated gti6 setups? If you've got the calipers and discs already fitted, then uprate them for gti aftermarket jobbies.

I would say **** EBC! Black diamond are good, but beware of the combi's. They are more prone to cracking due to the drilled holes going all the way through.

My setup will be Black Diamond combi's (taking a risk I know), and mintex M1144 pads. Far from cheap, but by far the best setup!

Remember to upgrade the master cylinder if you're doing the gti-6 transplant.

Another setup worth looking into is the 206 GTI180 brakes! Slightly better than the GTi-6!

Dermot

Hmmm, Mintex Pads ... Good ? I havent seen a set of Mintex pads that I would Recommend to anyone yet... How Long do Mintex Racing Pads Last ? 5 Weeks ... And They Squeel like a pig when braking Slowly, The Dust never comes off alloy's... Mintex Disc's .. I wouldnt Piss on them..

I was Using EBC Green Stuff on my Cav and Black Diamond Disc's, Was advised to go for Redstuff Pads when the greenstuff ones where done, But at £98 for a set of Pads I couldnt Bring myself to pay it..

Gambit

RMS Regular
Yeungster said:
I would say f**k EBC! Black diamond are good, but beware of the combi's. They are more prone to cracking due to the drilled holes going all the way through.

all drilled disc's hole go right the way thru :?:

id get drilled disc's over grooved or combi for general road use

Dermot

Gambit said:
Yeungster said:
I would say f**k EBC! Black diamond are good, but beware of the combi's. They are more prone to cracking due to the drilled holes going all the way through.

all drilled disc's hole go right the way thru :?:

id get drilled disc's over grooved or combi for general road use

No they dont... Theres a few company's that just press the Drill bit in a few mm and dont go through the Disc....

Also I Prefere Drilled and Grooved, Over just Drilled

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
i'm running blck diamond combi's on the rally, with the black diamond pads and they are v.good. (although the mintex stuff M1144 is good i hear on them..).

They offer the same stopping par as the std GTI-6/rallye brakes, but with alot less fade imo..

I'd say buy Black diamond combis and some nice pads for the Dturbo rather than replacing the calipers etc

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.