330D Intermittent Power Loss

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dannymcc

RMS Regular
Have an E46 330D with an intermittent power problem, no fault codes or warning lights. New OE Air flow meter was fitted but didn't make any difference

If i'm driving the car and it feels 'dead', I just lift of for a second or two and it seems to pick up again. No smoke from it either, no oily patches on any of the piping and no split boost pipes

Any ideas?

RevT

RMS Regular
Is it boosting then cutting out and boosting again?

I had a high mile E46 320D doing the same thing and it was the veins in the turbo sticking, was a pain in the hole but was coming and going like yours is.

Dannymcc

RMS Regular
OP
Dannymcc
Cheers for the replies, I'll get a fresh filter and try it too see

@Trevor. Its sharp one second, next thing dead but by lifting off for a few seconds and putting my foot in it takes off again. Did you clean the veins out with oven cleaner or similar? There's 150k on this one and still on the original turbo

RevT

RMS Regular
Yea it was removed and cleaned with oven cleaner and sold on right away so don’t know how long it lasted.

Sander Andre

Drives
330d e46
Did you solve the problem? i have the same issues as you. Runs bad, lift off and then it seems to pick up and maybe it runs good for a few pulls, then it goes back to beein dead again

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
MY x3 3.0 did this for a while and ended up being a blocked dpf caused by the thermostat failing. It couldn't regen due to engine temperature but exact same issues when it was in it's early stages of blocking

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Have a nosey at all of your vacuum lines, especially the 1 right over the top of the timing case/rocker cover and the tank down beside the turbo as they’re prone to splitting which will cause a vacuum leak and will leave it hard to control the actuator on the turbo.

colin84

RMS Regular
You could try disconnecting the MAF to see if it runs any better. Or maybe one of the pre fuel pumps is at fault, or a turbo issue as above. Change the fuel filter for a start.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Nothing worse than a blocked cat !!

giphy.gif

Cheers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.