3D scanning

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
Bit of a weird one, starting to undertake a bit of a project with the mini that I don’t really know is going to work or not. It’s a thought I’ve been having recently and I know I saw someone on here post about 3D scanning, Im looking to chat to anyone with access or facilities to do a 3D scan?

I’m willing to pay providing it would be in keeping with cost with the project scale, on the off chance someone was willing to offer to help I would be more than happy to pay for their travel,lunch and of course there would be a few beer tokens.

Atm I am just looking my front floor pan/interior done, but potentially I have a complete shell lined up that may be worth doing later.

If anyone has any input or advice thanks in advance, below is the car in case that may spark someone interest.

4889C1C0-E90F-4529-801A-B979A31F9563.jpeg

25708B5B-9000-4EE9-B0AB-D57EB9FEB7CD.jpeg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Watching this because I was thinking about same for a motorbike fairing. Otherwise I was going start trying to plot it with a milling machine DRO.
Not much help for a Mini though.

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Does it need to be specifically your mini? Otherwise there’s bound to be an accurate 3d model already available somewhere for a mini that could be changed to match your spec

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've seen some guys be able to do it with software and regular cameras. But it seems a lot of work, and also a lot of cleaning up to do with the images once done.

Proper 3d scanners to do it would be mega bucks.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Thanks for the reply, I will drop you a pm later for a chat.

thanks again jayme

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Jayme, we have a scanner at work, you can see it next time you are in with us.
But a full body scan is a few days work best case. Even just the interior would be a days work, and the files get massive.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
@jayme its not cheap to get it done properly but the results speak for themselves @mcma1 did mine but it wasnt cheap even with a good deal just be prepared, the scanning is quick but all it does is plot alot of points on a 3d coord system, turning these into panels with thickness can take a considerable amount of time on CAD.

The time it saves you in fabricating is something to factor in but id say unless you want to have it done for refrence or you plan on mass producing something i doubt the cost could be offset.

Heres the scan of my cab after having it stitched together this is just an .STL file no thickness to it.

gmc15.PNG

Cheers,
Ged