6.2L LS3 Defender

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
Thought I might as well stick up a build thread for this.

Have had this for a few years now and chatting with @Ged decided we would stick the LS3 into her for a laugh. Took close to a year to gather up all the bits and pieces but got started a week or so ago.

Started with 2014 110 County station wagon in Fuji white, 2.2tdci, nothing exciting. We are sticking in the LS3 6.2l V8 matched up to the GM 6L80E 6 speed auto and more or less overhauling everything. I will just post as we go with the tasty updates.

So far we have stripped it down, axles etc out, cleaned, sanded and painted thanks to @Woodcutter for the help.

Engine, gearbox, custom adaptor shaft the transfer box then fitted onto new mounts.

@Ged will drop in I am sure with some better details as he’s the man in control! I make the tea and bring the biscuits.

Old pic from when I got it

6C6120A6-E32C-4B5B-8829-D3AA777AAB1B.jpeg

And today

91BA05F1-E748-4ECD-88EC-9DD71C70CC0E.jpeg
55E8C1FB-5015-492C-8C5A-4BDBA31A8DD3.jpeg
E0717EC5-2EFA-4720-B2DE-533A159AAA9E.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Tremendous. I didn’t get a chance to see/hear your last 1 before you sold it, hopefully I can see this sometime!

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
They all appear to be black and grey now, but Fuji white is very forgiving for touching up and looking after. Compared to the last one, not a huge difference, have an actual gear stick with tiptronic this time and a new gearbox map. Not going as mental with TVs and all that ballix as I want this one to be straightforward but ultimately by Easter/Summer I would hope to be bolting the supercharger on once everything has settled in.
It was a 7 seater but like the last one we have converted it to the 4 recaro setup with a bit of alcantara so far but plenty to do in there yet.

0F38D6D1-4FDA-46D3-8D45-A53C08C2FCDA.jpeg

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Supercharger!!! Looks great and looking forward to seeing fully finished. I think those front seats deserve to be shown though lol

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
How does this work with wiring? Do you have to make a custom loom? Custom ECU? Does the original clocks etc all work?
I will let @Ged answer that one in detail but its just an off the shelf loom that has a few gauge drivers for the rpm, oil, speedo etc from the GM ECU and then a trans loom , I am in charge of getting new dials made with the diesel changed to petrol.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
I will let @Ged answer that one in detail but its just an off the shelf loom that has a few gauge drivers for the rpm, oil, speedo etc from the GM ECU and then a trans loom , I am in charge of getting new dials made with the diesel changed to petrol.

The Engine comes with a generic loom and ecu from chevy preformance which runs stadalone, we have then added a loom from PCS to control the gearbox and link the shifter, the chevy and PCS loom together intergrate via canbus and then we are using a PCS can signal coverter to drive the LR gauges and make the BCM happy about its missing puma lump.

As the likes of twisted are now doing this daily there are quite a few oems now making these items and are willing to sell them to individuals via distributors. Still alot of fettling to do but we should be able to make it work.

Speaking of shifters another few brackets and i got that sorted last night.

129937479_1313998172281716_7544086896133083893_n.jpg

Cheers,
Ged

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
The Holmes Deli oatmeal biscuits have been my favour this week 🤣.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Superb, glad you decided to start a thread to update us all on this.

Good to meet you Andy and put a face to the name! (y)