6.2L LS3 Defender

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Twin oil coolers fitted and aircon back up and running.
D400D686-B393-45F0-BA61-79BD272778DC.jpeg

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
Shes now out on the road and called back to me for a service the other day, stunning as always so we went for a little spin.

Few pictures I took when it was just out of the shed earlier this year.

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2544.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg

Been enjoyable working on it im Sure MCMA will have plans for it going foward.

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Just amazing. Does it still handle like a Defender?
Yes still rubbish but a little less rubbish. Overall however this one is miles better, far sharper and sounds better. Credit to @Ged. Could do this in his sleep. Going forward the next logical step is to add the supercharger so just confirming the details for this before I place my order.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yes still rubbish but a little less rubbish. Overall however this one is miles better, far sharper and sounds better. Credit to @Ged. Could do this in his sleep. Going forward the next logical step is to add the supercharger so just confirming the details for this before I place my order.

What transmission is it using ?

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Don't know how I missed this before, it's great.

Interested to know where you sourced the LS3 from? Was it a crate engine?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
For it to run engine/box, it'd definitely be a full crate package with ecu/harness etc. Sometimes called E-Rod packages etc. Not cheap ! but a good way for a nice clean reliable package.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
For it to run engine/box, it'd definitely be a full crate package with ecu/harness etc. Sometimes called E-Rod packages etc. Not cheap ! but a good way for a nice clean reliable package.

Been considering a new project for a little while and an LS3 with a TR6060 seems to be the way to go as all of the Japanese engines are making ridiculous money and gearbox options are always poor unless you fancy conversion plates and BMW stuff.

I am mainly interested to know where the most cost effective place is to buy a crate, Parts World Performance seem to be the main UK supplier.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yea, PWP seem to be one of the main places for new crates and some of their prices aren't bad really.

Roadcraft list some...but don't think they actually stock any. There are a few guys who buy in used engines, cut out from vehicles, but that would be a lot more work, with some risk involved.

At least with a new crate there is a warranty, and with an E-Rod package, the loom/ecu is pretty much plug n play so no hassle there. Or of course you could do your own aftermarket ecu

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Interested to know where you sourced the LS3 from? Was it a crate engine?
There is a guy in England who puts LS's motors in anything you want and he buys some crate engines. Runs them all on Emerald ECU and integrates into the vehicles standard dash clocks etc.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

There is a guy in England who puts LS's motors in anything you want and he buys some crate engines. Runs them all on Emerald ECU and integrates into the vehicles standard dash clocks etc.

Craig at Dynotorque has probably done more conversions than any. Although sometimes uses OEM ecu, sometimes Emerald, or whatever customer needs. ( He'll be the guy in the Driftworks videos cutting up Lambos etc )

That said, there are people using them in absolutely everything, and some pretty special stuff too. Autobionics do some cool sporty stuff...although oddly their webpage, FB etc all seem to have disappeared.

Or very extreme ( US )