71 project beetle ( with turbo )

56oval

RMS Regular
this is so cool :heart_eyes: has to be the smallest turbo i have ever seen but its easy to say your not over compensating :laughing:
Its tiny, words i'm used to 😂.

The turbo is off a Vauxhall Nova 1.5td. They make somewhere around 65bhp on the stock wastegate. Iv'e no idea how much over the stock 40bhp it'll make but its good for a laugh and been proper fun to do.

HILL9N3GTI

RMS Regular
Its tiny, words i'm used to 😂.

The turbo is off a Vauxhall Nova 1.5td. They make somewhere around 65bhp on the stock wastegate. Iv'e no idea how much over the stock 40bhp it'll make but its good for a laugh and been proper fun to do.
i cant see it making much but its still cool to say that its turbod at the least. looking forward to seeing this out and about at the shows when its done and what a project to have with your daughter.
what way are you going to work the tuning for it when its up and running on all fours?

56oval

RMS Regular
i cant see it making much but its still cool to say that its turbod at the least. looking forward to seeing this out and about at the shows when its done and what a project to have with your daughter.
what way are you going to work the tuning for it when its up and running on all fours?
I'll just plug pull it, find a good stretch of road, give it stick then cut the ignition. Pull the plugs on the side of the road and see what she's doing, it'll be rich at the minute anyway so a bit of solder and my jet reamers will have it dialled in quick enough.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Most paint strippers should be fine, others have used caustic soda ? Check youtube.

Or I see places online selling some adapter for the powerhose to do a bit of wet sandblasting ?

56oval

RMS Regular
Needing to find some mojo with this project.

Finally got back down to the paintshop. The rear quarter has been holding up proceedings being too high and not flush with the door bottom. I spent the morning cutting out the panel and trimming stuff to fit pain in the ass job but it's done. Not the prettiest but it's solid and all the gaps and edges are right. Should have bought my plastering trowel 😂 it's a darn sight better than it was and the door gaps are spot on now.
Also picked up a nice pair of mk1 mkx seats for it cheap.
IMG_20200114_105529.jpg
IMG_20200114_130218.jpg
IMG_20200114_161244.jpg
Screenshot_20200104-070519.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
This week has been all about gaps and alignment. The doors are slightly earlier so the trim holes are 20mm lower. Welded up the old holes, ran a tape datum to get the flow from quarter to quarter right. Measured checked, measured and checked god knows how many times then drilled the holes. Nothing worse than poorly aligned trim.

The wings are repro, fit is hit and mainly miss. After a few few hours of clearancing bolt holes, massaging the wing, it's as good as I'm happy with.

Bonnet is a nightmare. Tried 5 now. All the repro ones are pure dung. Fit is horrendous.

Got my hands on a good but expensive genuine one and the fit is way better, still not perfect but I'll work at it until its acceptable. The joys of the mixture of o.g and pattern panels.

Last job on this side is a piece of gutter. It's perfect bar a slights swell. I opted to peel it open. Glad I did as it would have popped up a few years after paint.

So right now I'm making a gutter section. Once that's done the entire side can be prepped and primed.

Progress.
IMG_20200117_111249.jpg
IMG_20200117_111242.jpg
IMG-20200117-WA0005.jpg