78 Honda CX500 Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So, here is my next bike project, I took a risk on this, bought it unseen from an auction, didn't know if the engine was good.

Its a 1978 (I like this because its the same year as my 260Z) Honda CX500.

Condition is very rough and the engine does not even turn so It will require a full rebuild. Wish me luck. I think I shall be going a modern cafe racer style with this. For now I'll just be stripping it, I won't be spending any money on it until my Datsun is back on the road.

thumbnail_IMG_2917(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2912(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2902(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2907(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2905(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2927(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2904(1).jpg

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Love it Ian, if it's anything your 260z I will just subscribe now.

Not a big fan of most Cafe racers, but if they are done right they can be nice. Love this era of bike, my dad has a 1979 Honda CB900f which he restored when I was a kid.

Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Not a big fan of most Cafe racers, but if they are done right they can be nice
Guess that goes for most things.

I am happy with how my BMW turned out, but the Honda should be better as its a full rebuild from the base up. The BM will likely get a full refresh once this is done, or I'll buy another K100 and do that.

IMG_E5560.JPG

my dad has a 1979 Honda CB900f
That would be a good base to work from. All the older CBs are pretty cool bikes.

Look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Will be a slow one.

I haven't yet decided I will go classic style or modern. I am leaning towards modern this time as its more work and therefore more challenging.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
She's now a push bike.

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_E3015.JPG

IMG_E3020.JPG

I will clean, sort and store all the parts tomorrow. I might leave the frame like that until I assess the engine. I am hoping that all it will need is new bearings, seals and rings.

I need that bay clear so I can do work on the Civic so unless there is room to store it elsewhere I may have to just fully break it down as I don't want to loose all the room in my workshop bay, my K100 is currently undergoing some maintenance there.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
jesus you dont waste time lol..78 makes it an early CX. great donky in them but just check the timing chain, if i remember they had problems the first year or so.. i think they ran some sorta strange setup kinda half pushrod half camchain engines.?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Started out fast, but then many other projects got in the way.

Did get the stripping fully finished a few weeks later though.

Took some tool not normally required in my garage:

thumbnail_IMG_3177.jpg

Centre stand needed cut off:

thumbnail_IMG_3175.jpg

Won't be using it anyway:

thumbnail_IMG_3176.jpg

All parts were cleaned and degreased and then stored.

thumbnail_IMG_3178.jpg

Subject to alterations, will need to purchase the shock first, will make alterations, get it blasted and perhaps powder coated, although since the idea was to do everything in house I may just paint it.

thumbnail_IMG_3179.jpg

Engine has its issues though:

thumbnail_IMG_3399(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3400(1).jpg

That doesn't look right

thumbnail_IMG_3402(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3403(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3412(1).jpg

I will be needing a new crank:

thumbnail_IMG_3408(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3409(1).jpg

Considering two options, get a good used crank and rebuild, or buy a running engine, fit that and build the bike and alongside re build the engine with a new crank and swap it out once the bike is finished. So I know I have a newly rebuilt engine in which shouldn't give any problems.

This will be slow from now on as I will only a have a small budget, and despite me doing all the work, I still need to buy many expensive parts.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I'll get it sorted one way or the other, that was the chance I took buying a non runner.

Ideally I want a GL650 motor to replace it, but there are never any available.