'87 Honda XL600L

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Thought I'd make a thread on this bike to stop clogging up the "post your motorbike" thread.

Bike pretty much ticks my bike boxes, big single, twin carb, loud, fun :laughing:

Bit of history on the bike. I bought I from my dad when I passed my test shortly after turning 17. Great first bike, lots of torque, just over 100mph flat out, loves to wheelie but not going to run away with you.

When he first got it it looked something like this:
honda-xl-600-lm_key_8.jpg

Within about a week it looked like this:
bikes01_zps7b23a4f9.jpg

DSC00448.jpg

Main changes bring obviously the colour, engine painted black, tinted indicators, black seat, cargo net on the tank, Micron end can, bars made taller and wider and chunkier tyres.

I rode it for around 3 years then one year just didn't renew my insurance as I was working full time in Halfords doing most weekends and not getting to enjoy it. It lay at the side of the house like is until about 2 weeks ago we decided to get it back on the road due to me starting a job in Euro Car Parts next week and I'm thinking I can beat the traffic at Sprucefield and Belfast taking the bike.

5232013202336_zpsd5a9aa26.png

First job was to strip the carbs and clean them out which was well needed. Once back on we fitted a new coil, plug and plug lead and it fired up first go. Next was an oil change and while the bike was stripped we painted the engine and frame again. Still need to do the exhaust in some VHT paint:
20131114_164647_resized_zpsea89efe8.jpg

20131114_163742_resized_zps6f13c06c.jpg

Video of the bike running:
http://instagram.com/p/gisr0MwKfr/#

Plastics and tank where then hung up and sprayed with some fresh satin green:
20131114_163728_resized_zpsc886aeab.jpg

20131114_163630_resized_zpsa1fad217.jpg

Next job is to finish putting the bike back together and drop the front end out to fit some new fork seals. The bike had a new chain, sprocket and cush drive just before it came off the road so nothing to worry about there :laughing:

Connor

slag

RMS Regular
Looks great, many moons ago I rode a XT600 for the winter, similiar sorta thing minus the green.

Perfect yoke for commutin and general wreckin about on at this time of year. Wouldn't mind somethin like this again myself!

Last edited:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Agreed perfect for acting the **** on but comfy safe transport for this time of year too. Saying that I need to get my finger out and finish other **** too

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
So yesterday I headed to the parents to start putting the bike back together but when I got there my dad had a head start on me and I arrived to this
uploadfromtaptalk1384726206699.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1384726248665.jpg

Need to hunt online and get a tail light cover as it fell off at some stage. Temporary he came up with this
uploadfromtaptalk1384726325281.jpg

Nice wee shot of the rear end with the exhaust. Must see can I get a sticker for the swing arm
uploadfromtaptalk1384726406125.jpg

Next on the list is rear light cover, cargo net for the tank to break up the vast amount of green, find a rear tyre and fit the front tyre I got today

Connor

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Wheels and suspension painted black, and she'd be even awesomer (y)

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Tbh nicky I duno why but I like the gold. Wouldnt normally be my thing either.

slag

RMS Regular
Fork seals done n all?

Set of handguards might be a good idea for the colder weather.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
My dads friend told me he replaced the seals and sliders before it came off the road so I'll get it up the road at the weekend to test them.

I hate the hand guards but might be handy indeed.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Heated grips and hand guards would be great for winter.

Or else you could always man the **** up and grow a pair... :p

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Heated grips and hand guards would be great for winter.

Or else you could always man the **** up and grow a pair... :p
As above no guards and def no heated grips. You'd probably waste alot of heat from the grips without guards anyway lol.

Looking forward to the daily belfast commute on it lol

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Like the gold. Your hands would be baltic sitting for that long on motorway when its freezin outside. id get heated grips if plannin to use it every day like.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Visually not alot. The bike is back together and running 100% again. Had a few probs with the carbs (£70 for blow gaskets and made our own). Tested it on a private area and I can atest to it being as fun as ever. Just need to get the tyres swapped and its off to MOT before the end of the month.

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Visually not alot. The bike is back together and running 100% again. Had a few probs with the carbs (£70 for blow gaskets and made our own). Tested it on a private area and I can atest to it being as fun as ever. Just need to get the tyres swapped and its off to MOT before the end of the month.

Still laughing at this.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.