'89 Ford Sierra Sapphire Cosworth

RevT

RMS Regular
Good to see it’ll be back on the road again.

I just sold a 4x4 bonnet the other day too. 🤦🏻

I still have two headlights, Cossie bumper and grill here for sale Barry if they’re of any interest.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth

I still have two headlights, Cossie bumper and grill here for sale Barry if they’re of any interest.

Yep definitely interested, drop me a message any time. Shame about the 4x4 bonnet as this ones warped.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP

Brace yourself @BarryPort for the Price 🤣

bird vulture GIF

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I hope it was favourable for you. Good luck with the build, can't wait to see the finished build

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I hope it was favourable for you. Good luck with the build, can't wait to see the finished build

Another lesson. I bought the car in 2017 for £10,500 & insured it for £15k.
Clever boy.
Never increased the value on the policy & in the 4 years of ownership it rose to £25>£30k pre accident. So they only paid out £15k (I’ve spent about £5k getting it 👌🏼 ).
Silly boy.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Clever boy.
Never increased the value on the policy & in the 4 years of ownership it rose to £25>£30k pre accident. So they only paid out £15k (I’ve spent about £5k getting it 👌🏼).
Silly boy.

gutting
My dad bought his 911 years ago, like 15+ years at a guess and up until a year or 2 ago had it insured for 15k. I prompted him to sort it that it’s worth way more, he was shocked and it’s now on a fixed value policy at 55k or something

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Clever boy.
Never increased the value on the policy & in the 4 years of ownership it rose to £25>£30k pre accident. So they only paid out £15k (I’ve spent about £5k getting it 👌🏼).
Silly boy.
So they still paid out the £15k and you keep the car, or do they claim ownership of it ?

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
So they still paid out the £15k and you keep the car, or do they claim ownership of it ?

Valued @£15k pre accident, £5k salvage so they wrote me a cheque for £10k and told me to F off.

I’m told I could of fought for more realistic values with the help of a solicitor but I’m not a claim artist & I figured the £10k would rebuild it back into a £30k car until I received quotes of £15k to repair 😂😂

I did manage to dress myself this morning though. It’s the small victories.

davyk31

RMS Regular
It’s probably worth a lot more than £5k salvage if they really looked into it so even if they say had paid you £25k for it but increased the salvage value you may still only have got £10k as the difference. Given the top value had shot up they would be justified to say the accident damaged value is higher due to value of the undamaged parts now and how relatively little it will take to get it back to a £30k car. Does leave it though with an insurance write off category against it which harms future value, not an issue if you never sell but someone will sell at some stage.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
It’s probably worth a lot more than £5k salvage if they really looked into it so even if they say had paid you £25k for it but increased the salvage value you may still only have got £10k as the difference. Given the top value had shot up they would be justified to say the accident damaged value is higher due to value of the undamaged parts now and how relatively little it will take to get it back to a £30k car. Does leave it though with an insurance write off category against it which harms future value, not an issue if you never sell but someone will sell at some stage.

Exactly. Thank you Davy, if you push the pre accident value surely the salvage value will rise accordingly so it’s all relative.

I did consider pulling the plug on the claim to protect the car’s history but as you say, if it’s a lifer then what does it matter.

Further unnecessary explanations to my actions I was stuck offshore whilst my wife buried her dad & sister due to unrelated, natural causes within the space of 2 weeks so when then claims investigator called he could have probably asked to take my daughters virginity and I would have given him the nod.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I just took out an " agreed value" myself...however they simply would not accept a proper agreed value for replacement.

Which then leaves me in an impossible situation should a partial claim be needed. Say they pay out a certain value and wish to keep the car, which in reality is of much higher value and they try and claim ownership of it.

Makes no sense. But they simply would not agree a value on that would allow replacement like for like. It seems the only time a claim would make any sense is in a total loss. Either due to fire or theft.
Anything less than that if I could not retain it for parts would be a huge loss scenario.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Insurance always wins. Take what you can get and move on. If you had insured it for a high agreed value then the premiums would have gone up significantly instead. And higher scrap value as you say.

Swings and roundabouts and all that. Just how the dice roll. No point dwelling on it, it is what it is.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Insurance always wins. Take what you can get and move on. If you had insured it for a high agreed value then the premiums would have gone up significantly instead. And higher scrap value as you say.

Swings and roundabouts and all that. Just how the dice roll. No point dwelling on it, it is what it is.

I could buy say a 100k car which lets face it is fairly common on some new cars, and no quibbles they'd insure it pretty cheaply, and pay out replacement value.

If I want to insure a car that could not be replaced for 100k, they charge a pretty big sum for 1/3 of that value.

Agreed value seems an odd name for such a policy when they will not agree the value.

sc_evo

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
Awww jaysus man. Thats a sorry sight. Did you watch yer man Adam on youtube with Paul Linfoot restoring a similarly damaged cossie?

56oval

RMS Regular
Clarity.

The claim was settled today after 2 months of uncertainty.
I’ve insured hundreds of cars, a handful of properties & my health but this was the first time I’ve ever made a claim (against my own policy lol).
It would have been made a lot smoother if I had the V5C in my own name.. don’t ask why I thought I was being clever by not adding my name to this 2 owner car. Proving ownership to insurance was a headache I didn’t need. Lessons learned.

Anyway, the car is with me for life so I will update the logbook accordingly.

Here’s a quick vid I took for RMS, might document the build on YouTube.

Ahhh man thats absolutely heartbreaking. Hope you get it sorted better than new.

I just did a cylinder head on one and didnt have time to finish it before heading home from essex. The head was in bad shape, corroded badly all around the water galleries.

Ended up sending it to Thurston Engineering who welded it, skimmed it, pressure test, valve seats re cut, new guides, stem seals etc etc. Well over a grand for all the work.

He then video called me when it was all back together and ready to run. I told him to check the fuel system. Pressure it all up and check for leaks before firing it up.

Fuel was lashing out of a simple little hose at the end of the fuel rail into the reg.

So easy for it to happen after rebuilding stuff.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Don’t be sad guys this is a good thing. Wait till you see the rot Ali uncovers. Rear arches are a cert, sunroof, spare wheel well. There’s a rear passenger door full of filler I want swapped out.

Yeah @sc_evo I’ve watched that a few times, they’re at that age where rubber is perished.

He will indeed @Smurf. I’m not the type to push boys so I hope he gets on with it upon his on incentive.

@56oval this seems to be a reoccurring theme. A length of hose that could have been replaced for 50p caused this.