89 Honda CG125 Project

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Realised a few days ago that I have a thread on here for my very slow moving CB450 project and never posted up my CG125 project.

So... throwing back to May 2021, it was a sunny Sunday morning and I was riding shotgun in my mates van on the way to ride some enduro. Bored in traffic I thought its days like this when it would be nice to have a bike on the road. Next thing I was on ebay looking up project bikes that could be a quick turn around, knowing that my CB450 was at least another year off.

With a couple of mates only having CBTs, a 125 so I could ride with them seemed like a logical choice and I soon found this, a 1989 CG125 Brazil bike that had been a show bike for a camper conversion company in the deepest butt hole of Cornwall. It was quite a cool bike in its time, but it had been left in a corner of their workshop for 7 years and had suffered some damage to the seat and battery box, along with some general crustiness from sitting in a shed beside the sea for so long.

Photo 06-04-2021, 19 58 14.jpg

Photo 06-04-2021, 18 07 50.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
A couple of days later, phone pings - Auction Won for ÂŁ695 - or something close to that effect. I sent a bike courier to collect it and a few weeks later it arrived on my doorstep.

Photo 27-04-2021, 11 24 38.jpg

As part of the sale, the tank wasn't included so while waiting for the bike to be delivered I had ordered up an ebay special tank which as soon as I seen it on the CG, I immediately wasn't a fan. Ah well, another problem to sort down the line, at least this allowed me to put some fuel in and see how the bike ran - it ran fine.

Next step was to start tidying it up and add my own touches... this is where, as usual, things got out of hand!

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
First I started making my own seat...

Photo 30-04-2021, 14 23 17.jpg

A new ABS plastic seat base was cut, nutserts added for attaching it and then some high density foam cut to size with an angle grinder and a flap disc - my mums garage still hasn't recovered.

Photo 30-04-2021, 14 39 00.jpg

I decided that the grey frame wasn't for me, and that I wanted to strip it back and paint it black again, so out the engine came... its so small beside the 450. With the engine out, it would be a shame not to clean it up and give it a lick of paint too.

Photo 30-04-2021, 22 35 11.jpg

Photo 02-05-2021, 20 25 50.jpg

Photo 05-05-2021, 23 04 55.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Back to that grey frame. The previous build, wouldn't have been to my level of detail - there was still a lot of unused tabs so they got hit with the grinder. No more pillion footpeg mounts, airbox tabs or chain guard mounts etc - basically if it wasn't going to be used, it was gone.

Photo 02-05-2021, 14 12 53.jpg

I wanted to keep the old airbox section clear, so decided to repurpose the lithium battery I had for the CB on this project, so made a little mount for it to sit in...
Photo 02-05-2021, 16 50 53.jpg

Photo 02-05-2021, 17 07 29.jpg

An entire weekend was then spent sanding the frame and swingarm for paint...

Photo 09-05-2021, 18 22 32.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
It was at this point life got in the way - I bought a house and the painter that I've used for the last decade decided he was gonna close his doors, so everything went on hold. It was November before this started seeing any progress again. Got catching up with a friend of mine who is also a painter and he told me he was doing some homers, so off the parts to him for some paint...

Photo 08-11-2021, 23 04 55.jpg
Photo 08-11-2021, 23 04 52.jpg

During this hiatus I had also been gathering some parts...

Photo 17-05-2021, 17 11 17.jpg

The new tank, while it looked decent up top, was pretty crusty underneath - thankfully it was only surface rust tho and my painter was able to take it back to bare metal and get rid of all the crustyness and give it a coat of Ford Magnetic Grey (Focus RS colour).

Photo 08-11-2021, 23 04 44.jpg

With the parts painted and back home, set them out on one of the workbenches in my new garage to give me a bit of motivation every time I walked past it, to maybe do something with it...

Photo 10-11-2021, 17 09 33.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Fast forward to shortly after Christmas, and with some time off work I decided to put it to good use and start assembling. I also fitted some nice billet Honda Wing emblems that I had found on a late night internet shopping session.

Photo 25-01-2022, 19 37 27.jpg

Photo 25-01-2022, 20 29 49.jpg

This past week has been one of the most productive of the project. Long story short, I had a plan for the original wheels, it didn't work out as I'd hoped as I damaged one of the hubs and then had issues trying to get brakes and spacers to fit. Ended up throwing the head up and just buying a new set of wheels.

Decided a wheel and tyre test fit was a good idea as I had no idea if the tyres I'd bought would even fit. The CG runs a 2.75 upfront and a 3.0 at the rear as stock and I was trying to squeeze a 3.5 on the front and a 4.0 on the rear to beef the bike up.

Me and a couple of mates own a Rabaconda tyre changer for doing tyres and mousses on our enduro bikes, but it was with a friend 45 minutes away and I was impatient, so the tyres got fitted on the kitchen worktop with the handles of a couple of forks and spoons.

Photo 04-02-2022, 16 10 45.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Test fit was a success...

Photo 02-02-2022, 17 16 45.jpg

Now to get it off the work bench and try the rear. First time it been stood on its own two wheels in almost a year...

Photo 05-02-2022, 13 23 34.jpg

Photo 05-02-2022, 13 27 38.jpg

Was really pleased with how it was coming together at this point, so couldn't resist a quick photoshop of how it might look when done...

Photo 05-02-2022, 14 58 25.jpg

Finally, to bring us back to present day, I got the footpegs, side stand, controls and indicators mounted up, began some wiring, mocked up the exhaust and trimmed a couple of inches off the width of the bars as the whole over all width was too large for such a small bike.

Photo 06-02-2022, 20 41 23.jpg

Motivation is now high to get this completed so expect some more updates soon...

(P.S. - all the rusty bits in the last photo will be getting replaced)

Last edited:

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Thanks folks.

Little lunchtime update - been looking at some options for mounting the headlight. As the CG runs such thin front forks getting brackets to mount a headlight other than the bulky OEM ones is difficult. Some people go for a bottom mount headlight and mount it off the yoke but I don't like how low it sits then. Ended up finding these on a German scooter parts website. They are meant as a universal part for mounting indicators to a scooter but I think they do the job well and keep the light nicely compact. Downside of this is that I'm gonna have to notch the top of the headlight to give me room to run the speedo cable, but I'm okay with that.

Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 14.01.43.png

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Another update. Exhaust wrapped and fitted up, need to make one more bracket just to secure the back box.

FA28D37B-576A-4CFB-B06C-26533A377A1A.jpeg
5952FA82-842C-4033-A3F2-978CD4DCA198.jpeg

Also started the wiring but been having issues getting any power. I think the ignition switch has gone bad so have a new one on order which I hope will fix the issue.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Very good, very nice :cool:. Love the exhaust, the whole thing just works. Not sure I'd fancy my chances with the helmet or is that a modern take on an old lid?
Thanks for the kind words. Helmet is a Bell Bullitt, it’s a modern helmet designed to look like a vintage one.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Good work on this, very nice. Looks so small and simple. Frame shares a lot of similarities with my CX500 but I would hope this thing is a lot lighter.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Bit of a thread revival. Nothing has really happened with this for a long time until recently. After taking it to Dubshed 2022 it went and lived at Blackline Performance for a while so that Gary could rewire it in between the day job.

Ended up being a bit of a nightmare as we couldn’t get it to start. Power was going live to the entire frame which turned out to be an issue with the stator so had it rewound but still couldn’t get it to start. Gary checked everything wiring wise and it was really stumped by it at one stage. Eventually tracked it down to no spark. Checked all the earths and the readings were correct - very confusing.

After digging into it, it turned out to be a bad earth that could hold the power until under load, but as soon as the engine cranked wouldn’t be able to hold it.

So with that fixed, the carb cleaned and timing set it then ran great. Time for a test ride… turns out the clutch cable I fitted was for a newer model and is around 15mm too short for my 89 bike so the clutch wasn’t disengaging.

So very close to being something that I can get mot’d and ride but for now it’s back home and making a great ornament in the living room until I can get time to look at it again.

IMG_9175.jpeg