91' Mk2 Golf Window Problem.... HELP w/Pics

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Few things to fix in the golf before mot, the electric windows being one of them. (1991 GOLF GTI 16v) Neither of the front electric windows work. Both switches light up upon ignition but neither go up or down, no clicks from the relay or sounds to indicate the motors are getting any power. Had a hoke around and all the fuses that are there and they are intact. The immobilizer has also been removed and rewired at some point if this is relevant.

-I assume the switches and motors are ok, because the chances of them both failing at the same time are slim.

-Does anyone know what relay/fuse operates the electric windows.

-I saw in the haynes manual that the silver thermal fuse (Top of fuse box) is the one that operates the windows but im not sure on this.

-What should I try next?

Read up lots on this and havent found a straight answer yet. Also looked at the Haynes manual to try and figure it out but no joy. Posting this is a last resort before i get an auto electrician to have a look at it.

Some pics of the fuse-box below and the switches lit, if anyone can help or notices anything out of place, it'd be greatly appreciated :grinning:

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Switches are easy to check with a meter, that's be my first starting point - then check you are getting voltage to the window regulators.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Balls, I have my Haynes manuals up at my parents!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Switches are easy to check with a meter, that's be my first starting point - then check you are getting voltage to the window regulators.

aye, just take doorcard off its 5mins to get it off, and then check if getting power to the motors - if the car has been lying for a while then the mechanisms can stick

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Do you need working windows for the MOT?
Oh come on now, you should know better :p
Drivers window does not need to work foir MOT, b ut be prepared for Mr Policeman to ask you how you intend to give hand singles if required :grinning:

Do the mk2's suffer the old thing of the wires being nipped in the rubber join between the wing and the bottom of the door? Another option if it appears there's no life at all.

fasteddie

RMS Regular
Oh come on now, you should know better :p

Do the mk2's suffer the old thing of the wires being nipped in the rubber join between the wing and the bottom of the door? Another option if it appears there's no life at all.
Worth checking , but I have never seen problems there :scream:

fasteddie

RMS Regular
Sliver Thermal fuse for windows can been seen above to the right of relay 72 .. check for 12 volts to and from the rear of it, it unclips :rolleyes:

IMG_1558.jpg

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
So both front windows stopped working at the same time or they've never worked?

If they both don't work the fuse would be the first thing to check. Other than that you need to check the back end of the fuse an see if it's connected to ignition live or constant live, or anything at all. By looking at those god-awful crimped bullets on your wiring it's obviously been worked at somewhere along the line.
Simple tests would be checking the switch with a multimeter continuity test, try 12v on the motor, and checking the wiring at the A pillar inside the rubber boots.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
OP
S
Thanks for all the replies people. Much appreciated

Sliver Thermal fuse for windows can been seen above to the right of relay 72 .. check for 12 volts to and from the rear of it, it unclips :rolleyes:

IMG_1558.jpg

Yea took it out and replaced it temporarily with a 20 amp fuse (Same rating as the thermo fuse) And still no life. Ill get the voltmeter to it and check the resistance to see if its blown and check the fuse is getting voltage.

So both front windows stopped working at the same time or they've never worked?

If they both don't work the fuse would be the first thing to check. Other than that you need to check the back end of the fuse an see if it's connected to ignition live or constant live, or anything at all. By looking at those god-awful crimped bullets on your wiring it's obviously been worked at somewhere along the line.
Simple tests would be checking the switch with a multimeter continuity test, try 12v on the motor, and checking the wiring at the A pillar inside the rubber boots.

They never worked. So if i check if the back of the fuse is connected to a live i can determine if its the fuse, or at least a problem before the fuse. And yes the immobilizer was rewired at some point.

TBH i really think its the relay jus because it dosent click when you push the switches. Im wondering could i take out relay 21 and replace it with another one temporarily or are they all different? i.e. take out 19 or 72 and check if it works in the 21 position. I havent checked this yet and wont until someone can confirm if ill damage the other relay.

New plan ...

-Check Thermo Fuse with voltmeter to see if its blown.
-Check to see of the Thermo Fuse is getting voltage when pressing switches
-Check relay

If that dosent sort it

-Check Switches
-Check Regulators
-Check Motors
-Check wiring from switches to regulators, then to fuse?

If not its going to the mechanic lol

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
youll be better using relays with the same numbers etc the pins on the relays all have different values and the pin settings are normally not set as what you need .

Gambit

RMS Regular
You are looking for LOCATION 21 on the fuse box - not Relay NUMBER 21 is your indicators

Location 21 is the big silver fuse (that already been pointed out & that you've already tried replacing)

locations 13-24 dont actually exist on the fusebox, they are for additional looms that clip onto the top of the fuse box - confused yet lol

http://www.dubscene.net/forum/index.php?/topic/3548-mk2-golf-relays-bulbs/
post90.gif

fasteddie

RMS Regular
Syber fix topic's melt the f u c k outta me :scream:

If you can bring da wonky windowed thing to east belfast tomorrow before lunch I will tell you whats up for free ..end of!

Regards Da wizard :party:

Sharkey

RMS Regular
OP
S
You are looking for LOCATION 21 on the fuse box - not Relay NUMBER 21 is your indicators

Location 21 is the big silver fuse (that already been pointed out & that you've already tried replacing)

locations 13-24 dont actually exist on the fusebox, they are for additional looms that clip onto the top of the fuse box - confused yet lol

http://www.dubscene.net/forum/index.php?/topic/3548-mk2-golf-relays-bulbs/
post90.gif

Yes i now know, that the fuse in position 21 is the window fuse. Is there a relay to go with the fuse, or is there just a fuse and thats it? Whats the POSITION number for the window relay if there is one?

Sharkey

RMS Regular
OP
S
Syber fix topic's melt the f u c k outta me :scream:

If you can bring da wonky windowed thing to east belfast tomorrow before lunch I will tell you whats up for free ..end of!

Regards Da wizard :party:

A lack of MOT prevents this, though thanks for the offer

fasteddie

RMS Regular
As far as I remember there is no relay, if there is it will be behind the center console clipped onto plate above the ashtray
next to the Idel control unit :scream:
These things are dead easy fixed when they are infront of you :relieved:

Sharkey

RMS Regular
OP
S
That would explain alot lol Ohkay, ill post up how i get on anyways

Sharkey

RMS Regular
OP
S
I did. My mechanic checked it for me. Needed 2 window motors as they were seized. I think there is a way to refurbish the existing motors, like disassemble them and relubricate all the mechanisms but I sold the car before I ever fitted new ones. @clrrk

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Cheers dude - figured out what was wrong with mine... switches were knackered. The rears don't work cos I'm missing a child lock switch so I swapped the rear switches to the fronts and they worked.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.