911 GTS

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Tbh agate was the only real choice for me in the cayman, I love metallic grey cars as that’s the cost common colour car I ever had, 1st choice gt3 would be agate for me, followed by black then white, in a 997 gt3/rs it would be as above by first choice would be orange!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't ever expect to "get your money back" on a car. That's a pyramid game.

If you get lucky you get lucky, but that's what it is.

25-35k to get out of one steep deal and get into another step deal?

No. Not even with money to burn.

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
The GTS could easily drop £25k in value in that time, and the GT3 is unlikely to do so, therefore the two will even out the cost to change. 😎

The Gen 1 991 GT3's are now 90k, they used to be 130-140k until the Gen2 came out. The 992 GT3 is due soon which will impact prices of the 991.2.

So really, gen2 GT3's wouldn't be a safe place to put money right now, but that's my opinion, I could be wrong and I often am on things like this lol

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
I'd agree with that concern about values, if your decision is based on that. Nobody knows how the market will behave over the next three years. Maybe @Woodcutter is correct, maybe @KeithRobinson is right - I just would not make the assumption of not losing more on the GT3 than the GTS. The 991.2 GT3s retail are back down to ~original list price which means trade-in value is probably minimum 10% less - I don't know the history of that particular Agate GT3 but I doubt the previous owner would have more than £114k in the hand.

Brilliant car though even for the street, if you like it, can afford it and can justify it, go for it. That was my justification for buying the R8 - probably lost about £50k in depreciation over three years, but the residual value is something for the kids to worry about as I intend to drive it until I'm no longer able to get in and out.

riano

RMS Regular
OP
riano
Drives
C63s coupe
So after a week of deliberation I've decided I'm not going for the GT3. Absolutely love the car (even in the grey) and drove it again yesterday on the roads to where I live in traffic (the same conditions I'd be driving it in 95% of the time) and think its a bit wasted pottering about in traffic unless you drive it in 1st and 2nd gear all the time to get at the power and actually found that I'd rather drive my own in those situations which I guess isn't that shocking with the low down power/torque etc. Just couldn't justify the £33k odd to change compared to my own when I'd rarely get to stretch its leg and have no doubt I would absolutely love the GT3 for about a month but then regret spending that to change but its definitely between a GT3 and an AMG GTR for my next car.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Sensible choice. At least you know what the GT3 is like on roads you are used too.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
And you can always do a weekend swap with my M4 if you are craving a little nostalgia! 😂

Do Porsche offer any dealer fit options that could spice up your GTS a little, give it a bit of rawness to bridge the gap to what you like?

riano

RMS Regular
OP
riano
Drives
C63s coupe
Sensible head very much kicked in. I learned the hard way, about 8-10 years ago I ended up taking my car into Audi for a valet and left with a new one. Took it on a test drive and drove it like I stole it then driving home 'normally' in traffic I thought 'I've made a terrible mistake' so always try and drive cars normally now as well as pushing them.

I'd love a weekend swap with an M4 @Nigelo :monkey: Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything that Porsche offer for the GTS to change it up, I wish I could fit the GT3 spoiler and get more noise in the cabin and then I'd be happy. Doesn't even seem to be anything like the exhaust valve controllers you could get for the M4 for the 911 :worried: and don't think there's any sound deadening that I can remove. Also, I didn't realise until over the weekend that the GT3 couldn't be specced with parking sensors and not sure how I would feel about dallying it with no sensors and only a rear view camera.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The biggest gripe for me with modern Porsches is the long gearing, like you say stuck in 1st/2nd on normal roads to get them "on song". Especially the divine nat asp engines on a GT3 or GT4. The GT4 does near 80mph in second gear, lol. Kind of wastes the cars a bit if not flat out down a track or the autobahn...

It's a real shame but that's modern emissions and efficiency regs for you...

Sensible choice in the end, happy motoring 😎

RevT

RMS Regular
Better being sensible now and leaving yourself in a better position going forward.

The mad thing is I’d absolutely love that GT3 but if you handed me the keys to your own car now I’d sell it right away.

I know literally nothing Porsche models etc. so I base my opinion solely on how something looks. Whatever it is, that GT3 ticks the boxes, but that GTS(?) looks like something an old woman solicitor would drive.

I’m really not trying to run down your car, it’s something I could probably never afford myself, it’s just it doesn’t stand out enough for me, I can see why you want to change up a few things.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Gt3’s are insane, but there is something so nice about a gts, looks class but remains relatively low key, id say just about perfect for a daily 👌

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
The gt3 is balls out road/track car and turns heads etc
Seeing @riano gts in flesh several times I’d take it every time given the choice

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I'm not in a position to be looking at any 911's never mind a GT3.....

But, I'm know myself that I'm not nearly a good enough driver to get the best out of the likes of a GT3, and I think I'd be much happier doing 80% of the driving in the likes of the GTS or the 997 turbo, which I feel (and I could be wrong) but would be a better everyday road car

JT079

RMS Regular
GTS would be my preferred car over GT2/3, purely due to the understatement of it.
its beautiful in real life, again, if I were at your position, I would look hard into the 911 turbo. 😃 more daily friendly with good power and gear combo

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Sensible head very much kicked in. I learned the hard way, about 8-10 years ago I ended up taking my car into Audi for a valet and left with a new one. Took it on a test drive and drove it like I stole it then driving home 'normally' in traffic I thought 'I've made a terrible mistake' so always try and drive cars normally now as well as pushing them.

I'd love a weekend swap with an M4 @Nigelo :monkey: Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything that Porsche offer for the GTS to change it up, I wish I could fit the GT3 spoiler and get more noise in the cabin and then I'd be happy. Doesn't even seem to be anything like the exhaust valve controllers you could get for the M4 for the 911 :worried: and don't think there's any sound deadening that I can remove. Also, I didn't realise until over the weekend that the GT3 couldn't be specced with parking sensors and not sure how I would feel about dallying it with no sensors and only a rear view camera.

I get a “flip I could hear you coming” comment when I arrive, but I can barely hear my turbo, it’s very quiet in the cabin.

The N/A cars sound better in the cabin because the noise is the actual engine, whereas with our turbo based engines the sound is the exhaust. Because the exhaust only runs behind the engine, you get very little of the sound in the cabin. If you could hear it in the cabin then it would be proper riceboy outside lol

riano

RMS Regular
OP
riano
Drives
C63s coupe
I know literally nothing Porsche models etc. so I base my opinion solely on how something looks. Whatever it is, that GT3 ticks the boxes, but that GTS(?) looks like something an old woman solicitor would drive.

Oooof harsh :joy: although I agree that being in a pic beside the GT3 doesn't do it any favours although I do love it in its own right but undoubtedly the GT3 looks MUCH better.

You need to see a GTS in the metal to appreciate just how nice they are. Photos don't do the colour justice either

Agree with this, it was clean on Wednesday and walking back towards it in the car park as the light was low I love the way it looked but pictures don't capture it at all.

@JT079 I've heard there is even less noise from the turbos so they're a definite no for me :joy:

I get a “flip I could hear you coming” comment when I arrive, but I can barely hear my turbo, it’s very quiet in the cabin.

This is exactly the same for me, people always say how loud it is and can hear me coming a mile off etc and at the start I used to think they were taking the piss. With the roof open, windows down and revs high it sounds almost antisocially loud but its annoying it doesn't sound like that inside too. If I could have the turbo power delivery with the NA sound I'd be well happy.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The Polestar is the same, the price for quiet cruising. Which hand on heart is what we do 99% of the time 😢

There is a solution though - I've never had a car with a sun roof before, lol, but the Polestar does. Tip open the back edge and open all the valves, job done without disturbing the carefully prepared coiffure :innocent:😅

Then go back to cocoon mode and engage Harman Kardon when stuck in traffic again 😎 Best of both worlds.

riano

RMS Regular
OP
riano
Drives
C63s coupe
So its been a little over a year and safe to say I never fully gelled with the 911 and now only a few more days until it goes and is replaced with something I think I will like a whole lot more. Glad I didn't go with the GT3 now :monkey: