'93 Golf GTi 2.Slow

RoniN

RMS Regular
I have seen original rear discs machined and drilled to become bell housings and bigger discs fitted but this was done for aesthetics and to match 2 piece discs on the fronts.
Would I be right in saying there is very little braking performance gain fitting larger discs to the rear?

Cheers

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
@RoniN I'd imagine the rear brakes don't do much esp on a nose heavy fwd car. The bigger brakes will perform better but probably wont do much for an overall performance gain of the car if that makes sense. They fill my desire for bigger brakes though lol

Got the brake line fitted, exhaust back on with new rubbers and heat shields remounted on Monday night.

Tuesday night I noticed the underseal cracked and flaking around the axle points. I cut this back to good sealer and resealed after painting. I then managed to get the axle bolted back onto the car myself working to trolley jacks with my feet lying on my back supporting the front end and bolting up. I fairly impressed myself lol.

After this I began to bolt up the brakes and got this before and after:

26250797588_d2dac624d9_z.jpg

25252808157_68c9d47338_z.jpg

I then threw a wheel on and having a slight caliper fowling issue (who'd have thought lol). I think I can work it by replacing the 5mm axle spacer with a 5mm wheel spacer. I got a picture anyway. Wheel is better filled now so job done. I just need to make it work now.

39413039704_eaf13589c6_z.jpg

Connor

RoniN

RMS Regular
Looks like alot of disc braking area is untouched by the pad, are you planning on fitting different calipers with a larger pad ???

Cheers

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
@RoniN a quarter of the disc is unswept. Same contact area as the R32 setup only moved out further from the fulcrum. It's more noticeable with the disc being single piece. If that was a 2 piece disc the disc to bell bolts would be protruding into that unswept area.

The future plans are 4 pot rears with 6 pots up front and use this current caliper as a handbrake

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
So Dubshed in April was my target and it came and went. Everything was set for mot weeks before and the day I went to start it to go it would turn over but wouldnt fire.

After tearing my hair out tracing the problem i was properly beat and threw the head up and forgot about it for a month or 2.

I took a notion to pull the dash and found 5 wires chewed at the ECU. ****ty but thankfully an easy fix.

Knowing a mouse was in the car I stripped the whole interior again. Powerwashed the carpets, disinfected roof to floor including all parts of the dash so it was nice to know everything was clean again.

All out:
IMG_20180616_150444.jpg

Starting to go back together:
IMG_20180624_195946.jpg

From I fitted the air suspension I was never fussed on the needle gauges to read the pressure in the bags. I was looking at digital gauges and finally bit the bullet and bought some digital air ride management. This is now my controller and gauge cluster for each bag. I have control of all 4 bags plus 6 programmable preset heights.

This is the controller's default setting of black background and white text/lines. But all these can be changed to 7 different colours. I have it set to black and green to mimic the green MK3 dials.
IMG_20180707_155216.jpg

IMG_20180707_155231.jpg

Got the car pulled outside, coolant bled, fresh battery fitted, air suspension calibrated and MOT wheels on. Looks rough as **** currently but that's next on the list

IMG_20180707_155146.jpg

Connor

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
*****?! Are they comp MO5's or just look it?!

Not the first rodent issue you've had with your cars is it lol? Wee *******. Few mouse traps left in the car required!

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Yeah @DaddyC they are. They're actually belong to @Fatman I'm just winding him up. They're a good wheel but I don't think they suit my car unless it was stripped out, bucket seats etc.

Yeah someone who shall remain unnamed left food in my car again after a midnight run from the airport. You can imagine I was amused. We've a few cats kicking about now so should help. Joys of country living :rolleyes:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
So after my update last Monday I had my week all mapped out with what to do. I got a phonecall on Tuesday morning and 5hrs later I was on a plane to Holland for with so that ****ed that up.

The sideskirts had badly faded so over the weekend I masked both sides and repainted them. I repaired a broken fan wire and sorted other little silly jobs. Last night @Fatman and I washed the car to remove any green moss, clayed it and tucked it away to get buffed this Friday. Lying outside really has done it no favours so this will take the bad look off it although will be far from perfect.

You can see the difference in the skirts in this picture compared to the previous post.

IMG_20180716_212402.jpg

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
@cormac81 @r16vka don't be saying that lads :joy:

Cormac with work this MK3 I haven't had a minute sorry. If you're about some day gimmie a shout or else I'll get round to you

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
What size are they, 16s? Cant really see the skirts tbh but there is less green in that photo which is saying something lol.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Great wheels! I’ve a set of these in 16” hiding away. Either for the Corrado or Polo.

Also another one to say, wheels should stay lol! What brakes have you got that 16’s wont fit over?

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
@sam_9n they would be nice on the corrado giving a similar sort of look as they original Speedlines.

312mm at the front which 16s will clear marginally. The 300s on the rear run an R32 caliper which is fairly deep across the back so sticks out more than the front caliper. I had to so some filling to make them clear my 17" BBS wheels. The Compomotives just clear too

sam_9n

RMS Regular
@natogreen16v thats exactly my thinking, not too far off the original look!

Ah right I see, were the 300’s just to fill the wheel? Not sure if the rear axle is the same but mk1 Leon Cupra 256mm ones could be used? And the 16” shouldn’t have any issues. I run Cupra ones on the Polo. Just a thought

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Yeah @sam_9n it's only to fill the wheel

I used 6n2 stub axles, 9n3 hubs/bearing and the 256mm set would have been a bolt on job. I then redrilled a 300mm S4 disc and mounted it with a spacer on the caliper.

It's all a few pages back if you want a nosey

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
I've been chipping away at the bits on my list the past few nights. Nothing overly post worthy.

Tonight I repainted the backs of the headlights. After that I started to clean up any aluminium bits under the bonnet and on the air install and forgot to take pics.
Next up was something bugging me for a while. I pulled the doorcards off and replaced the interior door hands which had been broken at some point

IMG_20180719_214948__01__01.jpg

IMG_20180719_214954__01__01.jpg

The exterior door handles have gaskets between them and the bodywork. Mine have perished badly with bits missing at the rear part and almost non existent at the front

IMG_20180719_201851__01__01.jpg

IMG_20180719_201855__01__01.jpg

I ordered some new genuine ones a few weeks ago so decided to fit them tonight. The old ones had gone brittle like plastic and the new ones were nice soft rubber. The front one just slides on. The rear I had to dismantle the handle a bit to fit it but nothing that wasn't a 2 minute job.

IMG_20180719_223531__01__01.jpg

IMG_20180719_224017__01__01.jpg

IMG_20180719_224146__01__01.jpg

More tomorrow night

Connor

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
@DaddyC it really is. Tbh at this stage id liked to have been doing wee bits like this all around the car but the more I look at it the more I want to repaint the car. Combination of lying outside for 8months doing it no good and knowing we could paint it much better this time round

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So after my update last Monday I had my week all mapped out with what to do. I got a phonecall on Tuesday morning and 5hrs later I was on a plane to Holland for with so that ****ed that up.

The sideskirts had badly faded so over the weekend I masked both sides and repainted them. I repaired a broken fan wire and sorted other little silly jobs. Last night @Fatman and I washed the car to remove any green moss, clayed it and tucked it away to get buffed this Friday. Lying outside really has done it no favours so this will take the bad look off it although will be far from perfect.

You can see the difference in the skirts in this picture compared to the previous post.

View attachment 200776

that looks absolutely fantastic.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Friday afternoon a friend came round and ran the buff over the car. It's far from perfect but has brought the colour up well. While he was at that I replaced a few interior trims etc.

I busted my balls Saturday and today getting the car ready for MOT Monday morning. I worked through the list and come 9pm tonight it was sitting like this good to go.

IMG_20180722_195312.jpg

But of course that's far to soon to be finished. When ticking over I noticed fuel dripping from the underside of the intake manifold. I was raging to say the least so back inside it went and myself, @Fatman and @Bono872 took into it.

The rail is buried between the 2 halves of the intake manifold so intake pipe, plastics and upper half of the manifold all had to come off.
As suspected the injected seal had split and luckily I had some old injectors lying so was able to replace it. Not ideal but better than a split one. All buttoned up again for 11.30 and clean ****ed now.

Quick pic from the middle of the job:
Screenshot_20180723-003854.jpg