958.2 Porsche Cayenne S

lee2050

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
I have been on the lookout for something new over the last while to replace my wife's 2016 Tiguan R Line. The lease ended on it and despite the fact that the car was excellent, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of another lease and the inability to put my own stamp on the car. Leases are great, but with a definitive end date to the agreement, I ended up having to buy an interim Renault Modus until the new car was found. First world problems of course, but it's another thing to have to organise, tax, MOT etc and with the search being very specific, it meant that there were not plentiful of cars in the UK that met it.

The usual suspects were in the selection process, F15 X5, 2017 Q7 and 2016 RRS. All I found a little disappointing in their own ways. The X5, although very nice, I thought the interior was a bit of a let down and they are very common (for good reason). The Q7 was just a bit boring and even in Black Edition spec, I think it's drab to look at, the wheels especially. The Range Rover Sport was ticking every box, except for reliability and with working away quite a lot, I don't want the likelihood of hassle increasing. Anyone half knowledgeable I spoke to told me simply, "do not buy a RRS" which scared me off.

That then brought me onto a Cayenne. I hadn't really considered one before. I don't know why as I always admire them when out and about. Having test driven a few in various specs - GTS, E-Hybrid and Diesel S - my wife declared her love for one and we set about finding one with the right spec. With so many options on these cars, we narrowed it down to the diesel car for simplicity, 21" 911 Turbo wheels and arch extensions, panoramic roof, air suspension including PASM, reverse camera, black interior, white/grey/black exterior paint, 14 or 18 way electric memory seats, black pack and comfort pack.

After a few months of waiting and a few disappointing examples, the right car came up locally (completely by chance as I was scanning the whole UK market) and I pounced on it. 35k miles, one owner car in white with every box ticked that we wanted. Full Porsche Belfast service history was a bonus too.

Some dealer pics are below:

238573021.1024.jpg

238573022.1024.jpg

238573024.1024.jpg

238573025.1024.jpg

238573026.1024.jpg

The only thing that was properly niggling me was the diamond cut wheels. I don't think they tie in with white paintwork and corrosion is always a problem. My wife's last car had the same combination and they look tired very quickly. These ones also had a few light kerb marks which tends to speed up the process. To cut a long story short, off they went to Nu Look Wheels in Carrick to be finished in Porsche carbon gloss black. I deliberated over who to paint them but Nu Look won - despite being more expensive, the quality of their workmanship is second to none and I have never heard a complaint other than price. While the wheels were in, I also decided to have the wing mirrors caps painted black to help tie things in a little bit better and removed the Cayenne badging. Results are below:

2e9b6c20-2d60-40ea-9657-159088a80f4a.jpg

The guys then cleaned the car up and had it ready for me to collect on Friday:

70233a98-d01f-4b02-876b-26ddc17786de.jpg

7cce6b7f-cd90-47cb-81bb-e28af92bb596.jpg

557badcc-ee43-4a24-8785-3232d87bc8c4.jpg

690186aa-a2e8-4385-b1f1-67e37b14c30c.jpg

I have a few other things planned for the car and will try and keep this thread updated as time goes on:

Key update
PCM 3.1 Apple Car Play retrofit
Boot opening paint protection film
A full paint correction / protection
Boot loading tray
Cowl and AC drain clean
Gloss black Porsche lettering to the rear
Personal plate

Cheers,

Lee

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Lovely, I looked at a few of these before buying the Range Rover, if I had found one in the right spec I would have jumped at it.

TGNI have a lovely one at the minute that is sorely tempting 😂 health to enjoy

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Lovely, They are quite hard to find with the Black optics & Black Rails.

I've had mine two years now and it has been faultless.

Whats the difference In a Cayenne Diesel & Cayenne S Diesel?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Very nice. Actually had a run with a diesel one a few weeks ago and it went rightly. Air suspension in them makes a big difference. They're a completely different league of the other stuff IMHO. Health to drive :grinning:

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Lovely, I looked at a few of these before buying the Range Rover, if I had found one in the right spec I would have jumped at it.

TGNI have a lovely one at the minute that is sorely tempting 😂 health to enjoy

The spec is hard to get right in these as basically nothing is standard. People make some weird choices, particularly with the interior. I saw one with a yellow/cream interior to include the dash, doors and steering wheel. This was on a silver car haha! I also think it’s mad that a reverse camera isn’t standard, especially in a car of its size.

TGNI’s one is lovely, although I wanted a 958.2 facelift so didn’t go and see it. Not sure on the red brakes too but that’s easily changed.

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Lovely, They are quite hard to find with the Black optics & Black Rails.

I've had mine two years now and it has been faultless.

Whats the difference In a Cayenne Diesel & Cayenne S Diesel?

You’re right about the black optics. That tended to be the one thing most well spec’d examples are missing. Personal preference, but I think it looks so much better than the chrome.

With regards to the S, Agnews told me it includes a few extra things like the panoramic roof and power steering plus as standard. I think power gains are negligible unless you change to the V8 diesel. Not something I researched.

Did you take an extended warranty on yours? Have you down the cowl and AC drain cleans?

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Very nice. Actually had a run with a diesel one a few weeks ago and it went rightly. Air suspension in them makes a big difference. They're a completely different league of the other stuff IMHO. Health to drive :grinning:

Thanks! I made the mistake of driving one on springs then driving one on air and that meant you could never go back to steel 😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Thanks! I made the mistake of driving one on springs then driving one on air and that meant you could never go back to steel 😂

Lol same. Also had a go in a 955 turbo that had been remapped. Just ridiculous doing sub 5s to 60 in something that big.

They way they get down the road is something else. Absolutely no body roll at all and turns in like a hot hatch. Then flick a switch and it's pure waftage. Then next minute you can be properly off-road or towing 3.5T.

I kissed two wheels on a kerb on an apex of a bend a few weeks ago, you genuinely forget the size of them when giving it a bit of stick!

Hate to say it but it's screaming for a nice reg now lol 8o|

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Love the look of these, great choice. Any interior shots?

I would prefer the wheels gunmetal as black always loses the detail, but a minor point!

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Very nice, I’ve been looking at these myself recently and as you say the spec’s vary so much. The interiors that people spec new are mad.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have been looking at these non stop the last number of weeks as potential replacement for the Q5 when the time comes - very hard as you said to get the one with perfect spec as new Porsche owners tend to go a bit mad on the spec list with weird choices.

Is your steering wheel multifunctional? I find it bizarre than some models do not come with basic steering wheel functions.

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Lol same. Also had a go in a 955 turbo that had been remapped. Just ridiculous doing sub 5s to 60 in something that big.

They way they get down the road is something else. Absolutely no body roll at all and turns in like a hot hatch. Then flick a switch and it's pure waftage. Then next minute you can be properly off-road or towing 3.5T.

I kissed two wheels on a kerb on an apex of a bend a few weeks ago, you genuinely forget the size of them when giving it a bit of stick!

Hate to say it but it's screaming for a nice reg now lol 8o|

A new reg will happen. Just waiting for the right one to pop up. I have something specific in mind.

Love the look of these, great choice. Any interior shots?

I would prefer the wheels gunmetal as black always loses the detail, but a minor point!

I actually don’t have any interior photos. Will take some soon and post them up. Ended up at black wheels to stick with the black/white theme but I know what you mean. If the car was black it’d have gunmetal wheels in my view.

Very nice, I’ve been looking at these myself recently and as you say the spec’s vary so much. The interiors that people spec new are mad.

Some interiors you see cannot be unseen! I get it in a rare edition 911 but not in a Cayenne!

Love these. @IL s gives me a bit of trouser crease every time I see it. HTD!

😂

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
I have been looking at these non stop the last number of weeks as potential replacement for the Q5 when the time comes - very hard as you said to get the one with perfect spec as new Porsche owners tend to go a bit mad on the spec list with weird choices.

Is your steering wheel multifunctional? I find it bizarre than some models do not come with basic steering wheel functions.

Yea multifunction and the button functions can be customised too. This car has the same steering wheel as the 918 hyper car which is a lovely touch. I think this may be an option in the 958.2 facelift cars like this one. Not 100% sure. This is a stock photo of it in a Cayenne (although obviously LHD).

E813D153-DFF9-43F7-A3BE-C9691E5DC246.jpeg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Thats a really lovely wheel Lee, I have never seen one with that wheel spec'd! :heart: