987 Porsche Boxster / Cayman

warren

RMS Photographer
I’m on the hunt for a 987 Porsche Boxster or Cayman, sadly there’s next to none for sale over here at the minute so just trying this in case someone has one knocking around they might be selling!

I’d like a 2007> car for tax reasons, preferably with the Bose and heated seats, 80k or less miles ideally and in good condition. Ideally a 2.7.

Looking to spend in the region of £10,000..... but if you have something in this ballpark I’ll certainly have a think about it! (And yes I know this budget is very optimistic for a Cayman :laughing:)

Cheers!

Last edited:

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Try the boxa.net forum too, you wont regret it they are such a fun car to throw around.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Yeah have seen that one and there’s another 2006 one in Larne, the only thing that keeps me from one of that year is it’s the only year with £555 tax, all others are £325. I could just see that making it horrible to sell in a few years when it comes to it!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Yeah have seen that one and there’s another 2006 one in Larne, the only thing that keeps me from one of that year is it’s the only year with £555 tax, all others are £325. I could just see that making it horrible to sell in a few years when it comes to it!
Get this bought.

71B6F798-A965-4619-BF49-79BADF6C24FD.png
B1C8E86D-3EED-41BD-A8F7-ECAC6C880E31.png

Attachments

• 87EB35C3-BFCF-480D-A496-F91E739811B6.png
    87EB35C3-BFCF-480D-A496-F91E739811B6.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 61E354C5-36F3-4AC6-9F7C-8053F0C4DB53.png
    61E354C5-36F3-4AC6-9F7C-8053F0C4DB53.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 127

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

It's £230. And presumably you won't be using it over winter so the grand total difference is going to be £120 or so for the 6 warmer months of the year it's on the road. A miniscule bill relative to Porsche ownership.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
@Boabybooster not sure I’d be quite that brave, could a mere mortal afford to run a 1999 100k 911 bought from Facebook marketplace? Lol

@Coog yeah it’s definitely not the end of the world, just wasteful when you can get an 07 one for similar money! £555 on top of the £300 I already pay for the Skoda fairly adds up! Most people I’ve spoke to find it an absurd amount to pay for tax, just don’t want it to be impossible to sell at the other end!

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
i forgot about the tax hike mine is 05 so cheaper bracket, like you i new it would be hard to shift later on and allow i don't use it all the time i wanted to use it all year , nice sunny winter day heater on seats on and away you go, i would advise you to look at something around 8 grand and keep 2 grand for rainy day unless you get a really well cared for example, any colour preference ?

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
i forgot about the tax hike mine is 05 so cheaper bracket, like you i new it would be hard to shift later on and allow i don't use it all the time i wanted to use it all year , nice sunny winter day heater on seats on and away you go, i would advise you to look at something around 8 grand and keep 2 grand for rainy day unless you get a really well cared for example, any colour preference ?

Yeah I’d want to have it taxed all year, there’s a few decent dry days over the winter usually! As you say with a heated seat and a hat you can achieve anything :laughing:. There’s a few 2005 cars but they are into dodgy IMS bearing category which I’d like to avoid lol. No real preference in colour, just not something strange like yellow!

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Porsche paranoia , i know my ims could go at anytime but i don't have big money into it so not to bothered ,there is an engine or chassis number where they did the change of the bearing sometime in 05 but my car is one of the first 987's so i have the old bearing, just stay away from a 3.4.

as you said they are a fun car and only 240 bhp they will never light your hair on fire but back road roof down @4000 rpm who needs Bose 😂

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I'm interested in a Cayman at the minute myself, been looking at them for the last few weeks. Only thing is, I've never driven one. @big_pete's advice is always good to read though!

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
@jimc the IMS failure rate is 8% apparently, so definately not as bad as the internet makes it out to be! That's a good way to do it though!

@Gaz VW I drove a 2.9 a few years back then the 2.7 there the other week, I prefer how the Cayman looks, but the extra bit it would cost then thinking about listening to that flat 6 with the roof down has got me thinking how epic a boxter could be!

KevM

RMS Regular
Porsche paranoia , i know my ims could go at anytime but i don't have big money into it so not to bothered ,there is an engine or chassis number where they did the change of the bearing sometime in 05 but my car is one of the first 987's so i have the old bearing, just stay away from a 3.4.

as you said they are a fun car and only 240 bhp they will never light your hair on fire but back road roof down @4000 rpm who needs Bose 😂

the 3.4 in an early 996 should be dual row IMS and more robust.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
It's not the IMS that's really the issue though on the 3.4's it's bore scoring. If you can afford a gen 2 then it's not really an issue but on gen 1's stick to a 2.7.

Nothing to worry about then. You are weclome to a drive in mine @warren and @Gaz VW it's modified so not totally the same as a standard car but certainly give you a good feel for one

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Yeah thats why I'm not brave enough to risk an S! Its just the 2005 987 that still has the weaker IMS bearing!

Thats very generous of you! After my drive in the boxter I'm fairly sold though lol

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Yeah thats why I'm not brave enough to risk an S! Its just the 2005 987 that still has the weaker IMS bearing!

flip sake dont be saying things like that im not going to drive mine anymore 😂
Up to engine # M 651 12851 Boxster 2.7L M96.22
Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 671 11237 Boxster S 3.2L M96.21
Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 661 14164 Carrera 996 3.4L
Double Row Bearing
From engine # M 651 12852 Boxster 2.7L M96.22
Single Row Bearing
From engine # M 671 11238 Boxster S 3.2L M96.21
Single Row Bearing
From engine # M 661 14165 Carrera 996 3.4L
Single Row Bearing
All 2005 Boxster 987 (maybe some 2006 models)
Single Row Bearing
All 2005 Carrera 997 (maybe some 2006 models)
Single Row Bearing
Maybe some 2006 Cayman models
Single Row Bearing

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
@warren , well done mate looks a good example, 19's make it, does it have pse ? zenons are a nice touch too Health to drive SPG ! there is plenty of info on boxa.net if your stuck with anything good little forum.

fingers crossed for some sunshine