A bit miffed! Stuck Sump Bung

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Any recommendations on a oil sump extractor?
dradra55683-8224mm.jpg

:joy: :joy:

Sorry couldn't resist

Cossers

RMS Regular
OP
Cossers
Drives
just checked there bud, unfortunately the one I have won’t fit yours, mines is for an Astra H, the part number of yours would be 96023264, I’m 99.9% that’s it.

really appreciate that info bud, I was struggling to get the part number!

i might just leave it to vauxhall opens again to get one, as said it wont hurt for another bit.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
When VW rung the sump bung of my Dads golf....whilst it was their problem, and they did it.....they still refused to pay for it, blaming...well, must have been the fairies, as the car had a full service history with that same dealer and had never been anywhere else.
They still refused. Needless to say he never went back near them
What VW dealer was it...………….or where if you don't want to name?

You'd think they would just attempt to fix or put a new sump on it!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I notice a demo of an electric one on YouTube and you use your own container to collect the old oil.
Looks very clean and tidy.
I think a few people use the lidl 12v pumps to make one when they come on sale. Mine is just a manual pump. Though a few pumps to get it started is all it takes and then it siphons itself

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What VW dealer was it...………….or where if you don't want to name?

You'd think they would just attempt to fix or put a new sump on it!

Mallusk. They did fit a new sump....but made my dad pay for it as they said they didnt do it.

When he got rid of that car he bought a new one from Ballymena and goes there now.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Mallusk. They did fit a new sump....but made my dad pay for it as they said they didnt do it.

When he got rid of that car he bought a new one from Ballymena and goes there now.

Bit mad that. If it's not broken when it goes in to them then it's ridiculous to expect the customer to pay for something the mechanic clearly wrecked.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Do main dealers even remove the sump plug these days when doing an oil change? I thought they mostly used extractor pumps. I’ve even had an a oil change done by VW dealer who didn’t even change the filter!

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Do main dealers even remove the sump plug these days when doing an oil change? I thought they mostly used extractor pumps. I’ve even had an a oil change done by VW dealer who didn’t even change the filter!
What? No oil filter changed when doing an oil change? I take it you took it back and told them to change it?

Bryan

RMS Regular
1585510792106.png

I seem to be having to do this a lot lately. I don't know if its previous mechanics tightening them too much or just the heating/cooling causing them to get stuck. This one was on my Mini this morning - 13mm just rounded off even with a 6 sided socket on it. Ended up welding that big 22mm nut over the top and the combination of heat and a decent nut it was off in no time.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
to be fair these do seem to tighten up. i regularly have to use heat on them during servicing.

Cossers

RMS Regular
OP
Cossers
Drives
Mine should have been tightened to 14nm! Should have been able to blow it off!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Removed the sump plug on the e36 on Friday, car had been driven a good bit before hand so was hot, didn't need an awful lot of fiddling to get off, and the oil was changed a year and 10k ago.

Was your block cold when you tried?

Cossers

RMS Regular
OP
Cossers
Drives
Removed the sump plug on the e36 on Friday, car had been driven a good bit before hand so was hot, didn't need an awful lot of fiddling to get off, and the oil was changed a year and 10k ago.

Was your block cold when you tried?

No rick, it was hot! Honestly, was the ****ing idiot that serviced it that tightened it far to tight!

Honestly couldn’t script the crap I’ve went through with her car when it’s been in a vx garage!

I wouldn’t let them loose on a tonka toy

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
No rick, it was hot! Honestly, was the ****ing idiot that serviced it that tightened it far to tight!

Honestly couldn’t script the crap I’ve went through with her car when it’s been in a vx garage!

I wouldn’t let them loose on a tonka toy

Basically hand tightened mine by feel and I'm sure it'll come back of with ease. Must be some yehawwing going on in dealerships 😒

Not like the sump needs to be stupid tight to begin with anyway

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I think it's a lot to do with the alloy sumps on modern cars.

Much softer metal compared to the bolt, perhaps different expansion and contraction in heat cycling.

I had to do the same as above on mine, and weld vs nut on.

The next thing I was worried about was wrecking the threads taking it out, but thankfully taking it slowly, it came out ok.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I think a few people use the lidl 12v pumps to make one when they come on sale. Mine is just a manual pump. Though a few pumps to get it started is all it takes and then it siphons itself

Have one of those but for the time it takes to pump out the oil I am quicker lifting the car and getting the sump plug out.

Cossers

RMS Regular
OP
Cossers
Drives
Fintona auto spares to the rescue! Two new ones on the way! Yee ha!

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
As for extraction I found I could get more oil out by sucking the oil out of the oil cooler and oil filter housing and channels than I would by the normal method. Depends on the make/model/engine I suppose.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
As for extraction I found I could get more oil out by sucking the oil out of the oil cooler and oil filter housing and channels than I would by the normal method. Depends on the make/model/engine I suppose.
Thats interesting.

Do you reckon a normal oil change gets the oil in the cooler etc?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Thats interesting.

Do you reckon a normal oil change gets the oil in the cooler etc?

When I stuck the suction tube down the channel from the oil filter housing that goes to the oil cooler as far as it would go it sucked quite a bit of oil out. The sump had been already been drained at this stage.