A(nother) new car suggestions thread...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Agree with Ricky. If it was my mum it would be a Forester or outback (with appropriate tyres) out of that lot. A Rav would be next choice but bit light/small in that era. Any full size 4wd in that budget will be a dose and will give your mum bother sooner or later (unless you get a real find).

Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Having been up there in bad winter conditions the only vehicle I would like to be in to give me peace of mind would be a Shogun or Landcruiser but anything decent is probably out of budget. As stated any MLs, XC90, X5s would be ticking time bombs at under £3k and avoid a Vitara at all costs due to bad engine (Renault)

Mine has 140k, and my mechanics has over 200k, both Peugeot engines. I think it's the mazda engine that's pretty poor. I've had a starter go in the past 6 years, and apart from servicing it's been fine. It doesn't even wear suspension parts that quick for a 4x4. Honestly I couldn't fault it.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Mine has 140k, and my mechanics has over 200k, both Peugeot engines. I think it's the mazda engine that's pretty poor. I've had a starter go in the past 6 years, and apart from servicing it's been fine. It doesn't even wear suspension parts that quick for a 4x4. Honestly I couldn't fault it.

I've had 3 or 4 with the Peugeot engine actually and theyve been nice driving wee jeeps - knew where they came from too and seemed to have been reliable.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Didn't know the Suzuki used a psa lump.

Sorry never even considered the x trail petrol edition, should have looked at them more seriously I guess as I'd imagine a 2.0 one would go on forever.

Agree with Ricky. If it was my mum it would be a Forester or outback (with appropriate tyres) out of that lot. A Rav would be next choice but bit light/small in that era. Any full size 4wd in that budget will be a dose and will give your mum bother sooner or later (unless you get a real find).

Yep, basically narrowed it down to finding a subaru now. No more time to investigate other options as I need to use it myself a week or two to ensure its all good and iron out any faults and also service it.

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
That banbridge legacy, I dont think youll see much nicer than that. Its nearly the same cash as the outback, much less miles etc.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
It does look very nice but the ground clearance of one of the other models would be appreciated

Going to use rms as a bookmark holder for a min

Subaru Forester X ALL Weather Adaptive AWD for sale in Tyrone on DoneDeal
Liking this one too

Subaru Forester X Automatic 4x4 SUV for sale in Kerry on DoneDeal

Subaru Forester 2004 SUV 2.0X manual for sale in Cork on DoneDeal
Decent mileage

This is very cheap but a wile old ad, done deal not so sharp on pulling them down
2005 Subaru Forester 2.0 X for sale in Derry on DoneDeal

I tell you what else is going to happen, me looking at these for two weeks now is going to result in my mum having a 2.0 na one and a turbo legacy wagon sitting on my drive, this is dangerous.

J-VW

RMS Regular
I just picked up a top spec 04 Lpg Outlander to run about in seem to be great value for money, bit odd looking though lol. Drive really well, Evo 8 chassis and 4wd system I believe. An option for your mum maybe?

20170124_141517.jpg

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Sorry, I posted in my members cars thread, thought I'd linked it here.

Bought her this in the end:
CXzLcEF.jpg

Quite the mission too, story is in my fleet thread.

Couple of pictures of the terrain she's been covering this fortnight:
lw00K4N.jpg

C5rryQk.jpg

Taken from the warmth and comfort of a hire car... needn't have bothered!

She does use the Forester for herself though. Her work didn't tell her she gets a hire car on account if she has to travel further than an hour, and those places over the mountains are all 2+ hours driving.

She says her phone battery died on one trip and freaked her out a bit, and passed three other cars/trucks each way on those journeys, in minus 5 cold. isolated is hardly the word. Glad she has been carrying her emergency pack in the hire car at least even if she doesn't have the 4wd available.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.