A series of bad decisions- daily driving old land rovers.

P17clio

RMS Regular
Drives
renault clio
Well after selling my pick up I needed a new daily. I had seen this for sale around the town before and had looked round it just out of interest. The deal was done and I’m now the owner of a 1998 P38 Range Rover.
5D373B3D-EDC6-4567-8313-B2BEFA102AEC.jpeg

D5FF06F7-5A58-4532-B255-72F6EDFB40E2.jpeg

38A6A1CF-FEB2-4902-96ED-B55EB7D50EEC.jpeg

It needed 1 rear tyre so that gave me an excuse to put 4 brand new BF Goodrich all terrains on it along with 30mm spacers all round.

98EDF7B1-804D-4659-9799-90A4CEC5ED2F.jpeg

Then testing out the new tyres in a mates quarry

F20CF004-FDC3-499B-997B-FF7F66D497F5.jpeg

A3B34951-B519-48C0-AC89-FD69DB6F6E21.jpeg

Took a drive to the RMS bbq at halidays

91EB77E7-3265-4590-8080-102F5E8E4F42.jpeg

Nothing major planned for it because it’s a daily and I’m trying to save up to get the supra a full respray.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
What engine is in it? My dad had a 2.5 DSE years ago...I had a few driving lessons in it.

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
As a previous long time owner of one, If you need any bits for it, such as cup holders, window switches, suspension air bags etc.. I've still a load lying about the garage! ;)

Paul.

RMS Regular
@SMURF1: Did you seriously miss out on F424 NPE, the car from the Rettendon murders? If so, do tell. That killing has been recreated in so many films that I honestly am interested in the fate of the car. I remember seeing the plate got a speeding ticket in 2004 and that was the last anyone had ever heard of the real car. I imagine the next owner had a merry time hosing brains out of the upholstery.

Nice car OP, the P38 is looking nicer and nicer as time wears on.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Health to drive.
Lovely car these. Are they really as unrealible as the internet would let you believe. @weeloaney loved his
Can get lucky and unlucky, mine was brilliant until I tried to fix a head gasket oil leak, low compression and bad starting.

Next year of ownership after that tested my patience lol. Should have left it be.

As a previous long time owner of one, If you need any bits for it, such as cup holders, window switches, suspension air bags etc.. I've still a load lying about the garage! ;)
Seriously still have bits? lol

Tho I’m worse I actually have 3 near complete 1996 P38’s in the same blue and all 2.5 engined :joy:

@P17clio, if you need anything or have any questions or issues or just want to know things don’t be afraid to give me a shout as I know may be ya round them not too badly now.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
@SMURF1: Did you seriously miss out on F424 NPE, the car from the Rettendon murders? If so, do tell. That killing has been recreated in so many films that I honestly am interested in the fate of the car. I remember seeing the plate got a speeding ticket in 2004 and that was the last anyone had ever heard of the real car. I imagine the next owner had a merry time hosing brains out of the upholstery.

Nice car OP, the P38 is looking nicer and nicer as time wears on.

Yeah mate missed it by like £100-£200.
Was complete with loads of photos. Some pretty grim to be fair.had loads of paper work with it too. Will see if i can find it

P17clio

RMS Regular
OP
P17clio
Drives
renault clio
Can get lucky and unlucky, mine was brilliant until I tried to fix a head gasket oil leak, low compression and bad starting.

Next year of ownership after that tested my patience lol. Should have left it be.

Seriously still have bits? lol

Tho I’m worse I actually have 3 near complete 1996 P38’s in the same blue and all 2.5 engined :joy:

@P17clio, if you need anything or have any questions or issues or just want to know things don’t be afraid to give me a shout as I know may be ya round them not too badly now.

I will have to make a list of all the wee quirks it came with. I’m only the third owner and it’s got full Land Rover history to its current mileage of 110k so hopefully no major surprises waiting for me lol.

P17clio

RMS Regular
OP
P17clio
Drives
renault clio
Had a few hours free this evening so though I’d give it a quick one step machine just to lift out a few of the wash marks etc.

I wanted to try out my new clay cloth as well and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it. Now the car wasn’t bad to start with so maybe wasn’t the best of tests.

So after claying I broke out the rupes and using the mild pad and compound did a one step machine.

I normally use navi wax ultimate but thought I’d use valet pro beading marvellous on it to test its longevity.

71B09E18-DEEA-454D-9983-CC26A001191A.jpeg

Plastics were done with auto finesse rejuvenate.

Overall the car came up well and although the bonnet still needs work the one step lifted out a good few marks.

J-VW

RMS Regular
Lovely mate miss my 4.6 HSE P38 was a lovely big jeep, don't miss carrying fuel to it though lol!

P17clio

RMS Regular
OP
P17clio
Drives
renault clio
Though I’d get her ready for the winter today so after a trip to Hawkeye automative in ballymoney for some fireball stuff I had to try it out.

1DCA6FFD-2958-4CF2-B3C8-DA283A84BE98.jpeg

9EBC0028-8308-45A3-B602-8EDB1CDBDA81.jpeg

Also got a tuning box for it but haven’t got it fitted yet.

Just have to get the chassis and underside coated then that’s it ready for the winter.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Looks well they are a timeless design

My Dad had a 2.5 DSE a few years back.

Broke his heart he ended up changing the air out for springs and sold it not much later. Fella bought it text him a few days later saying he sold him a deathtrap lol

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Though I’d get her ready for the winter today so after a trip to Hawkeye automative in ballymoney for some fireball stuff I had to try it out.

View attachment 211014

View attachment 211015

Also got a tuning box for it but haven’t got it fitted yet.

Just have to get the chassis and underside coated then that’s it ready for the winter.
Decent looking Tyres make such a difference, how have you been finding it? Done many miles?

P17clio

RMS Regular
OP
P17clio
Drives
renault clio
Decent looking Tyres make such a difference, how have you been finding it? Done many miles?

Done 2000 miles or so since buying it. Few wee electrical issues such as battery drain but easily sorted thanks to the p38 forum. Done a few 2 hr journeys in it and you get out at the end of it not feeling like you’ve been sitting for 2 hrs.